SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Winnie

I just spent 5 days at Pretorius Kop. The grass was VERY long, but lots of patches around the camp have been burnt already (this does not help very much, since some long grass still remains).
In spite of this there was a fair amount of game already, but not enough.
The area was very wet, with fountains seeping out of the road on the Fayi loop in July! The 20+ mm of rain 2 Sundays ago did not help matters either...
I think it should be excellent by September.
In spite of these negatives, there were DAILY sightings of cheetah very near to the camp on the Eastern side, as well as on the dirt road closer to the Phabeni gate intersection.
Leopard were seen regularly. Lions were seen 2-3 x per day. We had a fantastic sighting of 4 lionesses within 4 km of camp on the Fayi loop with 3 teeny cubs, little balls of fluff. Another lioness was obviously lactating, so her cubs should be up and about in September too.
The area north of Satara was terribly dry and with hardly a blade of grass for about 40 km up towards the Olifants river...
Saw most game north of Lower Sabie -- herds of up to 300 zebra at a time near Mlondozi dam, and closer to Tshokwane/Orpen dam. Only saw 1 herd of elephant in the Biyamiti river, but there should be plenty when it is dryer.
Enjoy

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have always enjoyed P'kop. Some people do say that the grass is too high, but it does not bother me. I love the scenery, the birds, the many dams in close proximity.

These are some images from my January trip with my daughter.

The S3 in January

Endearing Voortrekker road attraction.

The camp in January

It was rainy at times, but we found it rather pleasant. We were also spoilt with raptor sightings.

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm 

We just love this camp. It's very peaceful and enough game around to keep you busy. I also loves the little loops around camp, and a trip to shitlhave dam late afternoon is 'n 'must'

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tiko

I usually stay in the very basic ES2 huts, and they have a small table with 2 chairs, which we usually put outside in the shade for eating of meals.
Enjoy your visit,

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Indeed they do, Tiko. Best value in Kruger, I think. JUST A WORD OF WARNING. They do not have wall plug sockets, so don't rely on them to charge anything.

Post subject: Re: some question on petoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum
Yes the accommodation does have all the bed linen including extra blankets
There are towels and even a Kruger Soap per person.
Yes the electricty runs 24 hours.. unless there is a general power failure.

Dont forget your yellow ribbon

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Family Cottage location
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 pm 

pamelajane wrote:
Hope I'm not being dof :doh: but I have booked a family cottage FF6DB and cannot find it on the Pretoriuskop map.Can anyone help me as I would like to know if we have a perimeter location - in May this year we were in a lovely cottage looking towards the fence with impala grazing around us and I'm hoping that we have the same one! :hmz:

Hi, we are just back from 5 weeks Kruger and we were also in a FF6BD. You have to look at 113 and 114 and yes, the impala's are still allaround the camp!
:thumbs_up:
Ruud

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Family Cottage location
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:43 pm 

pamelajane wrote:
Thanks Ruud - I can find FU4D but not FF6DB. Is 113 or114 the cottage I have booked?I wonder why Sanparks don't upgrade their maps as we had the same problem when we were booking at Nossob in the Kgalagadi.I'm so pleased that you replied as I have now had the pleasure of looking at your photos on your website - they are SUPERB! :clap:

Yes the FF6DB(it's the same as FU4D) are 113 and 114, it's a good place and You're right, it should be great when SANPARKS update their maps with the same accomodationtypes as you can book at the reservations-departement. And thanks for your compliments about our photos :thumbs_up:
Hopefully this year a new update from our last 5 weeks-stay in Kruger.

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:16 pm 
Everything beautiful in the little village we know so well!

This two days ago...love it in Summer! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stephan,

I cant comment on the huts you booked as we normally camp.

I have driven the Madlabanthu trail twice. I wrote a trip report here about the first time we did te trail.

We did the trail again towards the end of last year. It was dry and a totally different experience. We saw Sable close to Shabeni.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm 

Pretoriuskop is one of my hubbys and my best camps we had our honeymoon in the Kruger and Pretoriuskop was our first camp that we stayed at. If you can manage to get to the gate first,just one morning the main road between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza is well worth a drive. Some of our best sighting of Cheetah have been along that road, plus wild dog, plus Leopard at Shitlave Dam. Also do yourselves a favour go on all the links around Pretoriuskop we have had some wonderful sightings over the years. I really hope you have a great trip, and are blessed with many great sightings, and I hope you do not experience what you experienced last time!!!. :thumbs_up: Mama Faru

P.S. We have always found the staff at Pretoriuskop very polite and helpful. Godfrey who is the Manager in the shop is also such a great guy. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm 

We spent our last two nights of our recent trip at Pretoriuskop and early on our last morning went for a short drive on the Fayi Loop where we had the privilege of seeing a cheetah, first lying against a big fallen branch not even 3m away from us. Then he marked his territory, with intent, all the way around the adjoining tree, totally oblivious to us, and proceeded to climb high onto a branch which he used as a "look out" to survey the surroundings. We were the only car there for as long as 15 minutes. What an incredible sighting that will remain etched in my memory! :D

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Advise
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I always like to stop at Mitomeni on the Voortrekker road. Its a lovely peaceful place surrounded by Jakkleberry trees.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have a very soft spot for Pretorius Kop. It has a charm all of its own. It is possibly a camp that can be enjoyed at every level. The historical significance of the camp is enormous. It is Harry Wolhuter's stomping ground.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Riaan

Pretoriuskop is not a Gameviewers paradise as such, but a really awesome experience.

Seen sable from there twice(shabeni loop and Shitlave dam), Tsetsebe on Voortrekker and all big 5 in the vicinity, also Cheetah near Mestel. So yes the animals are all there, just look.

Shabeni loop is a must, and I love the Fayi loop, see all the plains game.

Best interaction with ellies on Shabeni. Grass was long (higher than a Nissan X-Trail), so before I realised I was in the middle of a breeding herd, switched off the engine (not much more you can do :roll: ), got ready to take a snap or 2. Then it happened, I heard the grass next to my drivers side move and a strange noise. i slowly turned my head and looked smack bang into an ellie trumpet barely outside the window(my windows are always open). He stood there and smelled the car, looked me straight in the eye and then left as quietly as he came. I never breathed so softly in my life. Just proof that the "boring"(lot of people do not like the area at all) Pretoriuskop can also deliver amazing experiences.

IN OTHER WORDS GO AND ENJOY WHEREVER YOU GO!!!! HAVE FUN!!!

:thumbs_up:

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next