Skip to Content

Afsaal Picnic Site

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Gralba

Afsaal Picnic Site

Unread postby Gralba » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:18 pm

I have a report that Afsaal Picnic Site was closed over this previous weekend (7th/8th Feb). By all accounts it was so poorly run that this is a relief in some respects. What is the future of this facility?

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Afsaal Picnic Site

Unread postby Lepardfan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:04 pm

OMW Gralba. This is not very good news. Maybe one of the mods can lodge a query, to find out what was the reason for this.

Afsaal has always been one of our favourite Picnic spots in Kruger, I really hope they can get Afsaal up to par again. I have seen a lot of negative feedback of this special place.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Lepardfan wrote:OMW Gralba. This is not very good news. Maybe one of the mods can lodge a query, to find out what was the reason for this.

Will do :thumbs_up:
Sawubona
Dalene

fee

Unread postby fee » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:36 pm

I do know that the state of Afsaal was brought to the attention of the CEO of Sanparks a few weeks ago by a journalist who was interviewing him about something else. She apparently brought up the condition of Afsaal to him, and he was totally unaware of how bad it had become, and didn't even know about the complaints that were circling on various face book pages by visitors.
Hopefully steps will be taken to restore it to the vibey and enjoyable place it used to be.

Hanti

Unread postby Hanti » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Does anyone have some pictures of Afsaal happy, sad or clean or dirty please?
Let me know!

Hantikapantie

071 145 4811

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 am

Gralba wrote:I have a report that Afsaal Picnic Site was closed over this previous weekend (7th/8th Feb). By all accounts it was so poorly run that this is a relief in some respects. What is the future of this facility?

Dear All;

I spoke to the colleagues at Afsaal and I was informed that Afsaal was closed around 08:30 because there was a problem with the generator and the maintenance team was then called in. As soon as it was fixed, the shop was opened again (just after 10:00am).
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:56 pm

The current state of Afsal Picnic Spot is under discussion by the organisation, there are few suggestions on how to best to run Afsaal to provide good service to our clients. One would be be to outsource a service provider to run Afsal. In the meantime we request that our guests make use of the restaurants that are fully operational around the park. We apologise for any inconvinience caused.
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:17 am

What really saddens and angers me is that many people have complained about Afsaal on many different platforms and nothing has been done about it to date. I, for one, filled in the customer feedback form that was sent to me after my December 2014 trip to the Kruger and I complained about the state of Afsaal picnic site, why has Afsaal been left to deteriorate? When we stopped there in Dec 2014 and the beginning of Jan 2015, everything was locked up (it was just past 2pm),including the ladies toilets, there was a sign on the door written on a piece of brown tape saying "no water", the mens toilet was open but it was in such a bad, dirty, unhealthy state, there were lots of visitors still using the mens toilet, and just bear in mind there was no water, the smell was overpowering and was made worse by the intense heat.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 am

I do think that Afsaal profits were badly hit by the alcohol ban. There were always queues for their draft beer. It certainly seemed to me that it was a regular stop for many ''jeep jockeys''.

I would often wait for ages in a queue. It did not matter what I was buying.

Once the alcohol ban came into effect, there was no reason for all the jeep jockey stops, other than a toilet break.

I do think that a lot of their profit came from this, as many foreign tourists would buy items that the average Saffie could not afford. I enjoyed their pancakes, but found a lot of the goods frightfully expensive.

I have been to Afsaal twice on New Years day. The first time was before the alcohol ban and I did not even try to order anything. It was packed.

The second time I went was the first year after the alcohol ban came into effect. It was almost empty.

Afsaal was privately run, not Sanparks. I am sure that the consequences of falling profit margins affected them badly.
Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:44 am

MM that is a very interesting point you are raising there. :thumbs_up:

I think that you hit the nail on the head. In a certain way it is quite sad that alcohol was one of reasons why people stop at Afsaal. It is such a relaxing picnic spot and one of our must visit spots when in the south.

I really hope SANParks can come up with a solution to bring Afsaal back to its former glory.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 am

Lepardfan, Afsaal, Tshokwane and Nkulu used to come under a lot of criticism on this very forum for being too "touristy". Although they fall under Sanparks, they are privately run, much like the shops.

I love Afsaal, with those beautiful trees, the birds and all that comes with it.

The average Saffie, and I am one, brings little revenue into these spots. We come with our own food, drinks and sometimes even skottle. We seldom buy from the shops, as we can get cheaper elsewhere.

Jeep jockeys would make this a regular stop from Malelane Gate. The goods sold at Afsaal were definitely aimed at the foreign tourist. The skins were pricey and came with a export clearance certificate. People would sometimes queue for a long longtime for draft, enough time for a wife to do more than a bit of impulse shopping. :wink:

Sadly, Afsaal did rely too much on one market. Saffies are not very big spenders in the Park, myself included. It is going to be a challenge to replace the foreign market that has been lost.

Afsaal also has to employ its own staff and with the falling profits, I am pretty sure that many were laid off.

One of the reasons why the toilets are locked so early is because they have to get the staff back by a certain time.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 am

Lesley Nyawo wrote:One would be be to outsource a service provider to run Afsal. In the meantime we request that our guests make use of the restaurants that are fully operational around the park/...

One would be be to outsource a service provider to run Afsal./...

Afsaal, and two other picnic areas are currently under the management of SANParks. As recently happened with the restaurants, there is a consideration of outsourcing these being looked at as Lesely alluded to above.
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 am

Hanti wrote:Does anyone have some pictures of Afsaal happy, sad or clean or dirty please?
Let me know!

Hantikapantie

071 145 4811

Welcome to the forums Hanti! :D

Can you please elaborate as to why you are asking for these pictures and where they will be used?

Also, to protect you from being spammed on your cellphone number from across the globe, we advise cell phone numbers not be posted up on these forums.
Sawubona
Dalene

Gralba

Unread postby Gralba » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:21 am

I spoke to the colleagues at Afsaal and I was informed that Afsaal was closed around 08:30 because there was a problem with the generator and the maintenance team was then called in. As soon as it was fixed, the shop was opened again (just after 10:00am).

With all due respect Lesego I do not believe that this is the case. Someone has just commented on a different forum 3 hours ago "Afsaal deserted! Only 1 toilet open. No breakfast".

What actually is going on at Afsaal???

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:32 am

MM, agreed. And the safari vehicles with groups almost always has their own lunch with them. They do visit the curios and most people use coffee but its mostly own food and skottel. So yes, revues to run these kind of places are tight. I btw always buy a bush breakie . Afsaal used to be good but last time we werent impressed.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”