Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Star grading for Kruger camp sites
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:03 pm 

The Tourism Grading Council of SA has graded Kruger's campsites as follows:
3 Stars: Balule, Berg-en-Dal, Letaba, Lower Sabie, Shingwedzi.
2 Stars: Croc Bridge, Malealne, Maroela, Pretoriuskop, Satara.
1 Star: Punda Maria.

The graders has also lifted a few points to be considered by SANparks, ie. elec plugs(not adequate, and placement), too few ablutions, cramped sites at L.Sabie and upgrading of Satara's camping area.

If you want to know the criteria for the star ratings, go to www.caravanparks.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:30 pm 

Left out Skukuza - 2 stars.

Excuse the typing error - Malelane

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Although we love camping at Punda as it has lots of vegetation and bush, the facilities are poor and the booking of sites is a little enthusiastic as there are more tents booked than actual ground space. But non of the improvements are big jobs. To put in 2 more ablution blocks and a plug point for every 4/5 sites is quick work. More dustbins would also be helpful. I am glad that this camp has become more popular. When we started visiting 10 years ago there were some times only 2 other camp sites occupied.

This camp has the potential to be 3 stars in no time!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:27 pm 

We do not find the Lower Sabie camp sites cramped at all. I like the fact that they are clearly marked so one knows which 'area' is yours and you don't run the risk of someone pitching virtually bang up against you. Taps are close and elec points within good reach. I see it has been given 3 stars.

At Satara the electrical points are very far apart and if camping there one must take a really long electrical lead. The taps are few and far between too. I am reluctant to push for too many improvements as it is already such a popular camp (had an invasion of tv watchers last time we were there). I am not that sure that too many 'comforts' attract the type of "bushveld campers" I like to share the camps with. (Am I being selfish?)

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:13 am 

Foxy wrote:
Lets hope that the campsites are demarcated as well.

That is one improvement to some of the camps like Satara that would be great. Nothing worse than arriving and trying to work out if one pitches here, would someone else be able to pitch right next to you or not. If the sites were demarcated there would be no problems like that. We have had people pitch within a metre or two of us before :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:34 am 

I am not in favour of marking camp sites - to me part of the fun when camping in Kruger (now, except in LS), is trying to figure out what is a good spot and how to use it!

(But, yes, we've also had people pitch camp basically on our stoep!)

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Post subject: Star grading of Kruger camping spots
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:32 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The latest WEG Magazine (#16 Jan/Feb 2006) has an additional caravanning supplement. In it there is an article on the star grading of the camping sites in Kruger as far as caravanning is concerned. The article states that the grading was done to the Official star grading system and also according to the AA quality specifications for camping and caravan sites. Here is the grading the article gave to the different Kruger camps. I also include some of the comments mentioned in the article. It would be nice to hear the comments of those who visit the Park with caravans or camping with tents on this grading. The author visited Kruger with an Iveco Discoverer 4 motor home and claims that he is now convinced that visiting Kruger in a motor home is the way to go.

Malelane Image
15 camping spots, power points, 2 communal kitchens, clean ablution facility, wheel chair friendly, you will need a good hammer and also an electrical extension cord.

Berg-en-Dal Image
70 camping spots, power points, communal kitchens, best spots are in areas 2 & 3 as the two ablution blocks each service less that 24 camping spots. The ablution block of area 1 service 50 spots.

Skukuza Image
80 camping spots, power points, communal kitchens and ablution facilities, some of the camping spots are not level, only a small portion of the camping area is next to the fence, try and get a spot on the “right hand sideâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Although probably a good benchmark, I do hang onto star grading of Kruger camps by other people like a drunken heavyweight ninja onto a lamppost.

I don't really agree with his ratings...
I have been camoping in Kruger for more than 10yrs and have my own opinion based on all the visits.

I really rate Punda much higher, although the camping area does need some attention. It has got lovely trees and no where else can any other camp beat the hide. So too Pkop, Skukuza and Satara.

Best advice to everyone is to go and grade each camp for yourself. Good excuse to tell wife that you need to get to Kruger alone for a couple of days. :twisted:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:43 am 

I fully agree with you WTM that it comes down to personal choice.

This was however an official star grading of the camp sites and not the personal opinion of someone visiting the Park.

Let me add this bit of information about the author.
He has been caravaning since 1972, he is the vice chairperson of the Tuks Alumni Caravan club, an assessor of the star garding system and he was involved in the development of the grading system.

I therefor think that he is more than qualified to do the official grading of the camp sites.

For some of the criteria used you can go here and then click on the Star graded resorts link on the right hand side of the screen. After reading the information you can on the left side of the screen choose a province for which you would like to see star graded resorts. The Kruger camps are listed under Mpumalanga

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:09 am 

Quote:
The grading criteria have been developed based on guest expectations. The criteria covers the following:
Security
Exterior of Buildings and Grounds
Sites
Ablutions/Bathrooms
Scullery
Laundry
Communal/Public Areas
General Housekeeping

From Francois' link.

I usually find the less stars a resort is given, the more I will probably like it. But that's because we prefer to camp in the bush. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Star grading of Kruger camping spots
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
The author visited Kruger with an Iveco Discoverer 4 motor home and claims that he is now convinced that visiting Kruger in a motor home is the way to go.

I agree :thumbs_up: Nothing beats a trip to Kruger in a motorhome (or camper as I like to call them) :D

francoisd wrote:
Crocodile Bridge Image
20 camping spots, power points, braai facilities, communal kitchen (wheel chair friendly), with boiling water available 24 hours, an electrical stove plate and wash-up facility, 2 ablutions blocks of which one is disabled friendly

I definitely think Crocodile Bridge deserves more than just two stars :evil: Although the ablution facilities might be far away from some camp sites, they are very clean and tidy. Three stars at least :twisted: Camping next to that fence is stunning and of course the road out first thing in the morning ...

francoisd wrote:
Letaba Image (according to the article this is the best camping for caravans)
35 camping spots, spots well demarcated, lots of shade, spots are level, communal ablution and wash-up facilities. This is probably the best rest camp for camping

Who can disagree with this? :wink: Letaba is perfect in every way :thumbs_up:

Have unfortunately not camped at any other camp, but seems Punda is a must :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:19 pm 

wildtuinman wrote:
Best advice to everyone is to go and grade each camp for yourself. Good excuse to tell wife that you need to get to Kruger alone for a couple of days. :twisted:

Further info here - Tourism Grading Council. The Kruger camps on that site have the same star rating as in francoisd's post.