Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crocodile Bridge Gate new Bridge question
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Doesn't look any better than Dec 2008 when we were there. :shock: And we don't relish using Malalane.
Photo taken about 19 Dec 2008.

Last edited by Foxy on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think this is the old one in early january 2009 and the new one was nicely covered with water too, we only just managed to get across.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The bridge is closed until further notice! About an hour ago the new one collapsed at one end, stranding a car on it, which has now been rescued.

Everyone now has to go via Malelane. Strongly suspect this is, as predicted, now a long term closure....... :hmz: :wall:

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As you can see the old low water bridge is no more

"Stole" from
Marties blog

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
This low water bride has been tickling my curiousity for some time and being in argument I would like to know a few things:
1. Is it called a low water bridge because you can only use it when the water is low?
2. Was it built of economical reasons because a "high water bridge" was to expensive or.......................
3. Was the old bridge always flowed when high water? (why built a low water bridge then ? )
4. :doh: :doh: :huh: :huh:

Micetta
your point 1 is correct. You can only use it when the water level in the bridge is low. Until they started messing with the bridge, the water level was low for most of the year
Your point 2 is partially correct. A low level bridge is cheaper to build, but it was also built many years ago when not too much traffic would have been using the gate so it was adequate for the period in which it was built. There are still a few other low level bridges within it the park. The best known are probably the 2 on the H1-2 across the Sabie and Sand rivers. Also these bridges are less likely to be washed away in flood situations. The water simple rushes over them. Then when the water subsides again they just remove the debris and the bridge is safe again. High level bridges can suffer damage to their foundations during a flood.
Point 3.... yes, when the Crocodile river floods you cannot use the gate at Crocodile Bridge. You have to enter at Malelane or elsewhere
The plan is to build a new bridge so the gate does not have to be closed at flood times, Usually the summer months...December Jan and Feb

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A photo of the bridge at the end of February this year when the river was in flood

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:43 am 

You misunderstand Ajay. The bridge that has been repeatedly washed away is but a temporary bridge. It is supposed to take the traffic while they are busy constructing a proper concrete high water bridge. I just think the contractors do not seem to realise the strength or character of that river.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:10 am 

Let’s see if this makes sense, or cents if you want to…. :hmz:

Budget constrains equals a cheap “damwall” equals higher costs for redirecting all transport of goods and supplies that would have been able to make use of that gate, to use Malelaan or Numbi or Phabeni gates, since most companies would prefer rather going further up and make use of the public road’s speed limit since it will decrease their time spend on deliveries. Time equals money. :naughty: Never mind the fact that we’re approaching the most popular season in Kruger, and 2010 after that, and everything that would already cost you an arm and a leg in Kruger’s shops, will be even more expensive now in the affected camps & picnic spots, since cost of delivery will go up. Never mind cost to Sanparks fuel for their own vehicles since I doubt if they are in possession of any amphibious vehicles…. :doh: Also the immense frustration and cost and time constrains to touring companies, visitors, and staff. :wall: Then I wonder if the budget constrain is not constraining every thing else so much that it would be money well spend to build a proper bridge from the start, even a low water bridge, just bigger and wider, since the river almost never will stay that high weeks on end, and subsides quite quickly, and will be available for use quite quickly again. It seems to me that this is a matter of penny wise pound foolish, considering al the money already wasted in any case on repairing that bridge once a week for the next three months maybe…..Make you wonder who was in charge of the planning of this whole recurring disaster… :rtm:
:slap: :sniper:

--------------------

LS 15-19/04/2010
Satara 20-26/04/2010
LS 27-30/04/2010

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:02 pm 

On the bright side, the new bridge's concrete "parts" were there on the roadside in front of the gate on Tuesday.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

AWB wrote:
I am a bit in the dark here. Is the bridge that is currently under construcion supposed to become the permanent bridge, because I see that some people refer to it as a temporary bridge?

The temporary bridge is now the property of Mozambique and will soon be in the Indian ocean! :wink:

As far as I know, the old bridge is going to be lifted.

Post subject: Crocodile Bridge Gate between Kruger and Komatipoort
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 am 

The new, higher Crocodile Bridge entry into the Kruger Park from Komatipoort is nearing completion in october 2010, before the rains come. This will make access to this game rich area of the Park easier than before as the old low level bridge was prone to flooding. There is now no reason to avoid this wonderful area during the rainy season. The Croc bride gate is also the best gate to exit the Park into the quiet little town of Komatipoort with many guest houses and some restaurants for onward travel to nearby Mozambique and Swaziland.

Post subject: Re: New Crocodile Bridge Gate between Kruger and Komatipoort
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 am 

Just a quick note to let you all know that the new Croc Bridge from Komatipoort has now been open for a couple of weeks, so go and enjoy! No more scepticism please!!! :D

Post subject: Re: New Crocodile Bridge Gate between Kruger and Komatipoort
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 pm 

Sorry! I Know! I am completely irrepressible! But the good burgers of Komatipoort have fought for a new bridge for years and are delighted ..this IS the game rich end of the Park, the S28 and route up to Lower Sabie and Mlondozi is wonderful and extremely reliable for sightings...Living just 8 km from this gate, I go in a couple of times a month and have guests doing that route every day..it NEVER disappoints! If you want game go here...if you want a restaurant...go to one! Enjoy!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Crocodile Bridge
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm 

We have been using the Crocodile Bridge entrance every year for the past 21 years at least twice a year. We watched the increase in traffic volumes and with the change in rainfall how often it was closed. We have just returned and used the new bridge and gate for the first time, what a wonderful experience. On Christmas day we were dreading the crowd but what a pleasant surprise! :D the staff were so efficient and pleasant, they were using the exit gate as an entrance and we had absolutely no wait! What was even more pleasing was that the water level was so high that the old bridge would not even have been visible.
My congratulations to all the staff on a wonderful job in completing the project and the smooth operation of the new facility :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Re: Crocodile Bridge
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:48 am 

Great feedback ngwenya

Congratulations to all involved :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next