Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I miss the African Drums at dusk!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:48 am 

Wildlife movies on the old projector at Satara and a ranger giving a talk afterwards, now thats brought back quite a few magical memories.

Thanks for that spargish :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:02 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I remember the drums being played at Lower Sabie...don't know why I only remember them there...and I loved them. I agree, it would be great if they started that tradition again!! Image

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I enjoyed listening to the drums in the Letaba camp - my memories are of one person only playing the drums in Letaba to announce dinner time. Amazing sound with the sun setting :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Me too. When camping at Skuk, we heard them announce that dinner was served at the restaurant. We often went to see the brief performance.

Also then Rooies, we would go to where the cheerful attendant had built a big bonfire and spade hot coals into a wheelbarrow to plonk in our braai place for an instant braai.

Those were the days things were done in style!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Those dinner drums brought atmosphere , as did the smell of mopani logs burning , back in the days when restaurants did not have a take away outlet appearance .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Since we are on this topic, I have to speak my mind. Why was it that 30-40 years ago, there was this sense of camaraderie amongst Kruger folks. When we arrived with our caravan and tent at the camping area, everybody jumped up to lend a hand. One barely came to a standstill, when a crowd arrived, unhooking the caravan, moving into position, get the tent out, pitch the tent and before you could thank them, they had a cuppa coffee ready and promptly invited you for a braai.

Nowadays, it seems like everybody is minding his own business and don't care about the person next to him.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Rooies I think you are partly right...the camaraderie has definitely gone to an extent but there are some things that are good still. I was recently in the park with a girlfriend at the time and I must say we were very open and friendly with everyone and got the same back from people. We shared many sightings with others and got good info back on where some good sightings were...in fact from that side it was better than I ever remember it.
Mind you back in the 80's when I first went every june/july holidays I dont remember any other nationality or any other language than just Afrikaans people (we are english Saffas). We played with the other kids and had fun but my folks had memories of not always the great community feel on odd occasions and we came across many Afrikaaners that didnt have time for english people...and believe me, my folks love socializing and my mom's Afrikaans is good. And incidentally she once was trying to book during the school holidays on a number of occasions for trip but they kept saying it was full..she then phoned yet again this time speaking in Afrikaans and without much problem got us a 10 night stay which was the maximum you could have in those days during school holidays.

So I would say I miss certain things, like the drums and like getting coals from a big fire like BB has mentioned but overall these days I really love the bigger variety of people in the Park and there is no one culture or nationality dominating. Having said that though I think in this day and age we always are assuming people to be unfriendly so we dont give them the benefit...I make a big effort now and apart from the odd day dreaming driver or even the odd rude one most people are friendly and we were even joking the one day how everyone was greeting us back...it was great actually!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I remember drumsannouncing dinner time at Lower Sabie , way back , more than 40 years ago , and then I also have a vague recollection of a Marimba being played :hmz: .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:21 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Grantmissy wrote:
The drums at dusk meant dinner time in the restaurant with our parents – soup, fish, main meal, dessert, coffee, cheese and biscuits. I wonder if people today will still be interested in this kind of fixed menu Kruger style dinner :D ?

Those meals were very good value for money, and really quite tasty!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 am 

I remember during the late 80s/early 90s the drums used to be played around 5 or 6 o' clock in Satara. That was definitely a great childhood experience for me that I will always remember. Haven't heard any drums in recent years.

December KNP:
16 - 18: Punda Maria
19: Shingwedzi
20 - 23: Mopani