Skip to Content

Camp Choice??

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Advice Please... Berg n Dal, Croc Bridge or Skukuza

Unread postby arks » Sun May 17, 2015 12:28 pm

I'm hardly one 'in the know' about the south, since I'm also a Tamboti and north person :wink: BUT ... you really should visit Lake Panic at least once in your life and Skukuza is the best base for that, altho perhaps Pretoriuskop is also close enough to get to Lake Panic early?

Good luck with finding something satisfactory for those remaining nights.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Sun May 17, 2015 12:42 pm

I agree, Arks. I love Pretoriuskop and the loops you can drive just outside the camp offers a lot of surprises, Sable, Leopard and cheetah to name a few. And Lake Panic and the Skukuza Nursery makes for a scenic return trip. Pity that youre no at Skukz at the end of the month to have some coffee and pastries at the nursery served by the Lowveld region of the SHR. The sweet delicacies are yum!

Sorry forumites, i'm just getting carried away...

But on the other hand, B&D got lovely accommodation as well and its close to Malelane if you want to exit the Park quickly
Last edited by George_Brits on Sun May 17, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Sun May 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Tessa -

Lake Panic is a must, whether you sleep at Skuz or not. Pretoriuskop and B&D are great, but Croc Bridge is also a little gem. If you stay at CB, just ask for accommodation next to the fence on the side, on your left from river view. You will not hear the noises from outside world and will for sure be surprised with a good sighting or too from your patio. Lots of game alongside the fence going to the water.

Leana

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue May 19, 2015 10:56 pm

Lake Panic has to be done. You can get to Lake Panic from P'kop early but the best thing about Skuks is that you can visit LP last thing in the evening, which is also rather special. Don't forget to go and visit the nursery, in the heat of the day its a lovely oasis.

Over nighting in Skukuza isn't that bad and you'll find the first week in Jan is actually quiet - folks will have gone home just after New Years. Just get out of Skukuza first thing to avoid the OSV passengers - its no fun when 20 -30 of the things turn up at once. You can do day trips up to Tshokwane and down to P'kop and BnD
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed May 20, 2015 5:25 am

We all have our favorites. Mine is Croc Bridge, but I might suggest Skukuza. :hmz:

It is a camp that is very central and has a great variety of roads, Lake Panic, The Nursery, Mathekanyane look out. It is possible to visit the Pretorius Kop area as well. I have also disappeared into the museum for a cool, interesting break if the heat is very bad. I also find the gardens at Skukuza just beautiful.

The reason why I might be cautious about P'kop and Croc Bridge in school holidays, is that they are often one night stop overs and can be quite noisy when people arrive and pack up with families very early or late. They also have relatively small camping areas, so the noise can be very intrusive.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Wed May 20, 2015 8:07 am

I love Skukuza and CB - having lived next to the N1 a few years ago, I have learned how to block out the noise, and it does not bother me anymore.

But I really love Skukuza - it is central, and then there is the LP factor. Once the day visitors have left, it is quiet and with the location next to the river ....... sigh...... Birdlife in the camp is abundant if that is your interest.

And it is close enough to LS and Pretorius kop for day drives.

I am sure you have booked by now, and I hope you have an amazing trip at the end of the year!

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed May 20, 2015 9:13 am

I would go for Croc Bridge - just making sure you ask for a unit away from the river; so closer to the camping area.

There are so many wonderful drives in the area - you can go to the Biyamiti weir for eg.
Sawubona
Dalene

Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tessa G » Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and advice.
Dave says maybe we need to have an extra week and then stay 2 nights in each. :lol: :lol: If only that were possible.

I think Skukuza will probably be the choice because it does give us the opportunity to visit LP before Main Gates open and close and having never stayed there before, it would be interesting to visit places like the museum.....also it is a gentle re-introduction back to 'civilisation' after 3 weeks in the park. Very interested in the bird life Karin, so an added bonus.

A three week TR.....that should keep me out of mischief for a while :lol:
TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

December 2015/2016 in Kruger - From Top to Tail
17 - 19 Punda Maria
20 - 22 Shingwedzi
23 - 25 Letaba
26 - 01 Tamboti
02 - 06 Lower Sabie

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Tessa G, a three week trip report from you would really be something to look forward to.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

minettest

Choosing a camp July 2016

Unread postby minettest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:40 pm

:hmz: want to go July school holiday choosing camps are so difficult. Thinking off starting at Maroela 3 nights camping then 3 nights lower sabie Hut eh5 (or camping crocodile bridge) and then 2 nights berg en dal camping going out again at malelane gate. What is the best
:dance:
28/06/16 - letaba
29/06/16 - letaba
30/06/16 - tamboti
1/07/16 - pretorius kop
2/07/16 - pretorius kop
3/07/16 - pretorius kop
4/07/16 -berg en dal
5/07/16 - berg en dal

CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT WAIT!!! :lol:

DinkyBird

Re: Choosing a camp July 2016

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me. Camps are fairly apart, just make sure you are not under too much pressure when moving from camp to camp, taking into account the gate times.

I think it depends what part of Kruger you love and want to see on the trip. You are covering differing areas, so that is good imo.
Sawubona
Dalene

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Choosing a camp July 2016

Unread postby Lepardfan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:06 am

Hi minettest.

Just remember that July is very very busy due to the school holidays. Maroela and LS are also very popular camps. Hope you have existing booking or else good luck with finding a spot. :thumbs_up:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”