Skip to Content

Camp Choice??

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Camp Choice??

Unread postby tent dweller » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:34 am

This is our dilemma :hmz: , can I please have some opinions as what we should do: We are booked for Shingwedzi for 2 nights, then off to Letaba for 4 nights (both have swimming pools) then we are booked into Olifants for 3 nights (no pool) then to Tamboti (no pool but there is one in Orpen), when wanting to swim at Olifants we will have to go to Letaba BUT we would of spent 4 days there already, thank you
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:15 am

MM, we stayed in Letaba over Dec 2013, we swam in the pool at the Day visitors area after paying a R10.00 entrance fee each, the pool in the camp itself was very, very full and busy. We were the only ones in the day visitors pool, maybe because of the R10.00 per person charge?
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

ilovenationalparks

Unread postby ilovenationalparks » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 am

We intend staying two nights in Pretoriuskop an two nights in Lower Sabie and want to plan a final night quite close to one of the exit gates. If you were to choose between one night at Skukuza or one night at Crocodile Bridge, which camp would you choose? (I am aware of the the fact that CB has no pool and restauarant. We will be more than happy to do without such luxuries if we would have more memorable sightings).

We chose Pretoriuskop soley for the fact that it offered budget accommodation large enough to accomodate the entire family, with its own bathroom, however I've read that sightings in the area are not very good. Are we making a mistake by choosing this camp? (My sister and her family will be joining us, and this will be their first ever visit to the Kruger and first overnight stay in a national park, so I would like to ensure they have amemorable trip.)

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 am

Hi ilovenationaparks.

Pretoriuskop is one of our favorite camps, and yes sometimes the sightings might not be that "good". Of course it all depends on being on the right time at the right place, just like all other areas in Kruger. we once had 4 of the big 5 in one trip towards Transport dam :mrgreen: . Your opportunity to see Sable is also quite good in that area, as well as cheetah.

Both Skukuza and CB offer great opportunities regarding game viewing, CB is a lovely camp but being close to the sugar cane plantaions might be a mood spoiler for some but still the game viewing in the area will make up for it. Skukuza can be very busy but again at night time the camp, for me is quite quiet. :) .

If it was me I would have gone for CB, have a wonderful stay :thumbs_up:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:28 am

Totally agree with Lepardfan.

The Pkop area is good for all of the so called "big5' except leopard, but the grass can get thick so you might have to work hard. It is also one of the few areas to find tsessebe, Lichtenstein's hartebeest and sable.

Fayi loop, Transport Dam & Mestel Dam roads could well be productive.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:17 am

I've come to realise over the years that EVERY part of Kruger is special in its own way, and I have seen magnificent sightings at every camp I have stayed. I enjoy the atmosphere at Pretoriuskop and a swim in the rock pool is like no other. The drive to Skukuza from there can be very rewarding - especially if you'e looking for cats - and don't forget to stop over at Transport Dam on the way. Also, I've seen cheetah regularly on that tar road and the dirt roads that go north. The Napi Loop can often throw in a surprise as well.

Between Skukuza and Croc Bridge is a difficult choice, especially for only one night. Both areas are superb for game viewing. I assume you're staying in huts/chalets, in which case I might prefer Skukuza especially as Croc Bridge, as has been mentioned, is close to the farmlands and sometimes outside noises. Yet, I absolutely love the lawn areas around the chalets at Croc Bridge as well. My advice is to go with whatever you choose, and it will be the right choice!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

colbol

Balule or Shipandani?

Unread postby colbol » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 am

Hi Everyone.

For those who may have stayed at both sites- which do you rate as the best for the night time experience.

Overall animal night time sounds etc !!! ??

We are hoping to travel to KNP in April next year and would like to chose a bush camp or hide to truly hear the bush sounds.

Or is there somewhere else we should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule or Shipandani?

Unread postby leervis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:42 am

You need someone with a crystal ball. That is one of the great things about Kruger....you never know till it happens. IMHO Balule will give an overall better experience. I am biased as it is my favourite camp, but the ability to walk around the camp, the Hyenas that often patrol the fence and also the great drives that you can do with Satara just down South and Oliphants - Letaba just North.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 am

Colbol, I agree with leervis. It is very hard to know as is the case with sightings too, it is the right place at the right time.

To enjoy the night sounds, make sure you do not have an aircon on, windows wide open ... as I assume you will not be camping coming from across the seas. Closer to water gives one a better chance of hearing hippos, but then they must be residing near by in the water. Lions - that is really luck of the draw, as with all other animals. In the bigger camps you can hear bushbabies, bats, little scops owls ...
Sawubona
Dalene

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Shipandane you can only stay one night between gate closing and gate opening ...But is a great experience though I would prefer Sable dam as quite a lot of the bigger game come down to drink there
Balule is my one time favourite ask for no1 hut as its on the fence( no lectrics , but there is a communal gas fridge and communal ablutions) at night lamps are brought round to the huts and placed in the ablutions .
happy planning
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

colbol

Unread postby colbol » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Leervis -Dinkybird and Hugh, thank you for your thoughts ,they are truly appreciated.
I suppose that Balule might be a bit more relaxing with no time constraints and the ability to walk around as stated .
Once again , thanks.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Enjoy the planning. It is a big part of the whole trip excitement and experience ... :dance:
Sawubona
Dalene

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:23 am

What a dilemma. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you are looking for animals and the freedom to walk, Balule it is.

If you want a once in a lifetime experience of complete solitude, take Shipandane.

We stayed over in December. It was quite magic. We never realised that we had booked on the night of the full moon. We watched the moon rise like a great orb over the little lake. It was my best Kruger moment ever.

I also loved watching the bush slowly wake up, holding it close, feeling the awareness of the breaking day.

Balule is magic, Shipandane is mystical.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:46 am

I would go for Balule, ask for hut number 6 it is next to the fence. :mrgreen:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Advice Please... Berg n Dal, Croc Bridge or Skukuza

Unread postby Tessa G » Sun May 17, 2015 10:43 am

As a lot of you may know, Dave and I are passionate 'North of the park' people, as well as the central Tamboti/Satara area. We have only ever spent 2 nights at Croc Bridge camping with our caravan that we had in those days, and then en route to Satara a number of years ago. We stay in huts/bungalows/safari tents these days and need some advice from those of you that know the south.

We have our Dec/Jan holiday booked, :dance: apart from the last 2 nights of 5th and 6th Jan because we were unable to get an LST2U Safari tent at Lower Sabie to make up the 5 nights. (We have 3 nights booked there so far :dance:). Now we need to decide on whether we take the last 2 nights at Croc Bridge (not keen on the noise from other side of the river), Skukuza (only for easy access to Lake Panic which we have never visited) or Berg n Dal.

What advice please. We feel we owe it to ourselves to spend some time in the South after so many rave reports on the wildlife down that way. Unfortunately due to work, we are unable to visit KNP any other time of the year, so peak holiday season it has to be :shock: (hence that is why we love the quiet north) :thumbs_up:

Thanks Mites, have a peaceful Sunday. :wink:
TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

December 2015/2016 in Kruger - From Top to Tail
17 - 19 Punda Maria
20 - 22 Shingwedzi
23 - 25 Letaba
26 - 01 Tamboti
02 - 06 Lower Sabie

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”