Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camp Choice??
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Depends on your needs & reasons Tiko.

We don't have specific needs,just want to relax with the possibility of seeing various animal species.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Tiko, my choice would probably be Croc Bridge. I love the diversity of roads, the S28 offers so much in all seasons.

I don't have my map with me, but the main road to Lower Sabie, the gravel road towards Malelane offer such diversity.

I do tend to enjoy the smaller camps with a more intimate atmosphere.

Berg n Dal is a lovely camp and it is certainly well run, my only problem is that it does take a long time to get onto different routes.

Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

BnD has a pool & restaurant, Croc Bridge does not.
You can camp next to the perimeter fence in both.
Both are in game rich areas, including wild dog & leopard.
BnD is a large more modern camp, Croc Bridge is smaller.
BnD accom is up market, Croc Bridge has safari tents as well as chalets.
I have never stayed at BnD, but the safari tents (7&8) are on the fence and my first choice in the south of the park.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I agree with BB about the tents. If you are going to be staying in a bungalow :hmz: I might be wrong, but I do think that most bungalows have a perimeter view.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:04 pm 

Will be staying in a bungalow.In July I won't worry about a pool and a restaurant not high on my priority list.I prefer preparing my food on the open fire.Croc Bridge sounds like the camp for me.Thanks for the information. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I prefer Crocodile Bridge Camp - it is small and feels "in the bush", even though it is so near the edge of the Park. Most of the bungalows are on the fence - there are two that are a little way from the fence. The roads from there are great - the S25 along the river, the S28 up towards Lower Sabie and the tar road H4-2 also up to Lower Sabie - all of which produce good sightings.

Berg 'n Dal is a larger more modern camp, well-run and well-maintained. But, being larger, one does not get quite the same "bush" feel. There are also slightly more limited road options.

Have a wonderful trip, whatever you decide.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would also go for CB, far more relaxing atmosphere :dance: :dance:

Post subject: Which Camp?
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 pm 

Hi everybody, :gflower:
I was just wondering which of these you would recommend? :think:
We are going May 2014.

Bateleur Bushveld Camp
Biyamiti Bushveld Camp
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
Sirheni Bushveld Camp
Talamati Bushveld Camp

Thanks alot

Post subject: Re: Which Camp?
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

All of them, Yocheez. :wink: Every one of those camps is unique and gorgeous. Shimuwini is my favourite - I love the positioning and layout of the camp - but all will yield surprises and pleasures. Biyamiti is the most southerly of the five, and has great roads for a diversity of game and predator sightings. Talamati is also well placed for predators and a wide variety of other animals, and the S36, H7, and other roads in the Satara area are all excellent and accessible. Shimuwini is more centrally situated (in a south-north direction) and is great for general game, whilst wild dog are often spotted near the Phalaborwa Gate. Sirheni is tucked away on a lovely private road and, though the mopani bush is quite thick, the wildness of the area and the camp itself is wonderful; I always love to drive the Mphongolo Loop, which has spectacular trees and often surprising sightings. Bataleur has the Red Rocks loop and Tshange close by, and close to camp are two wonderful dams where I have never been disappointed with sightings. In summary, then, Yocheez, the choice is yours, but whatever you choose, I know you enjoy it.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Which Camp?
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hi Yocheez :D what a choice.

I agree with OWN about each camp's uniqueness.

Because you are coming from so far and will not have too many opportunities to visit, I would veer towards the predator rich south of the Park. Biyamiti is in a game rich area and it is quite easy to access many excellent roads.

Talamati is also in an area know for good roads, but it does take a bit longer to reach some of the more productive areas.

May is a lovely month in every way. It is starting to show signs of the changing seasons. The dams are still quite full, there is plenty of green and the grass is still high. It can make sightings a bit more difficult, but I find it a good month for a bit of everything.

Post subject: Camp choice ..... Croc Bridge or Malelane
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:48 am 

Well in October I will be bringing a few American tourists to our Beloved Kruger. This will be the third year in a row that I have done this. Sharing the beauty of Africa with my fellow Americans never gets old.

I would like a bit of advice on accommodations.

We will be staying the 1st 2 nights in BD2V units at Olifants and then 3 nights in BD2V units at Satara. There are no perimeter units available at Lower Sabie for our last 2 nights and I have had poor experiences with the restaurant service at Lower Sabie in the past, so I am looking at booking the final 2 nights at Malelane or Crocodile Bridge. I have stayed at Malelane in the past, had great sightings and really enjoyed the camp. I have never stayed at Croc Bridge before but have had good sightings on that side as well.

Any opinions between Malelane and Croc Bridge? Final option would be Berg en Dal as well.

Post subject: Re: Camp choice ..... Croc Bridge or Malelane
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hi deamole.

Sounds like a great itinerary.

I like both camps. Malelane is a lovely intimate little camp with loads of atmosphere. Croc Bridge is slightly larger, but still filled with good bush feel.

As much as I really enjoy both camps, my preference would be Croc Bridge. It really is the most prolific in terms of the potential for interesting animal sightings. If given a choice, Croc Bridge is my first preference. It has greater road diversity, greater sighting potential.

The S28 between Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie has been one of my most productive roads. It has regular Cheetah sightings, as well as Lion and Leopard. It is worth taking a drive to Duke's waterhole, another interesting place. I have had most of my wild dog sightings in the Croc Bridge area.

A drive out to Hippo pools as a sundowner drive will be the perfect ending to your trip.

Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

deamole, I would suggest Berg en Dal, I had the pleasure of staying in Berg en Dal in December 2014 for 2 nights. The accommodation was superb, clean, well looked after, the restaurant served good food, the service was faultless and the prices were very acceptable. The shop was very well stocked with friendly, helpful staff. The swimming pool was sparkling clean, we enjoyed it so much that we have booked for longer in December 2014.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bear in mind there is no restaurant at Croc Bridge nor Malelane and the offerings at Lower Sabie should be much improved with the new franchise in operation!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 am 

Meandering Mouse,

Sounds like we are thinking alike. My only Wild Dog sighting ever was this past November on the S25 before the Gardenia Hide. On that same trip I was also blessed to see a good part of one of the mega prides (14 of them) on the S25 about 1 km off the H4-2 tar road.

Last year we spent 2 nights at Berg en Dal which were good, but the sightings were not as prevelant and I did not enjoy Berg en Dal as much as Malelane in 2012. Thank you for helping!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next