Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am sure Boulders has some "secrets" that someone could share.

I have never stayed there, I know that it is in a rather sparsely populated region in terms of game, although I am sure that Buffalo and Ellies abound there, especially since the Ellies love the Mopani leaves.
It must be a wonderful experience though, the ABSOLUTE solitude in a very quiet region must be the ultimate in relaxation.

I must say that the design is very tasteful and the architect clearly put thought into what was being created, something that is often absent elsewhere in the park, even though all the camps are full of character.

Has anyone here ever stayed at Boulders? I know that, like Roodewal, it has to be reserved in it's entirety.
If anyone has stayed there please let us know what it was like.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes have stayed at Boulders. A really lovely camp.
It is build on stilts and walkways. You do not walk on the ground at all, other than going to your vehicles.
All the Bungalows is facing a water hole, but sadly the water hole is a bit far and not fluidlit :(
Have got some pics of the camp somewhere, will have to look at all my photos (millions of Kruger :roll: ) to find them and will post the pic :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:44 am 

I have stayed in Boulders twice.
What a fantastic atmosphere with a lovely communal kitchen lounge and deck area.
The 6 huts each have their own bathrooms and are linked via a raised catwalk.
The game is a bit scarce, but we were lucky to see a leopard drinking at the waterhole at sunset on two occasions.
Also had a herd of buffalo move through UNDER the camp once which prevented us from getting to our vehicles for some time.
Thoroughly enjoyed my stays, especially the superb braai area where good stories and cold beers are enjoyed at night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Oumie and Skydiver!

It sounds wonderful...sightings may be somewhat scarce but those that you do have are that much more exciting! Wow, Leopard TWICE from camp and a Buffalo Herd BENEATH you!!! That must have been sensational!

I assume the staff situation is the same as Roodewal, 2 caretakers on duty?

I think that Boulders will HAVE to be added to my list of future plans.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:55 am 
Skydiver wrote:
The game is a bit scarce, but we were lucky to see a leopard drinking at the waterhole at sunset on two occations. Also had a herd of buffalo move through UNDER the camp once which prevented us from getting to our vehicles for some time.

Ok, this does it for me. Will have to make a plan. Apart from Skukuza, this is the only other camp in Kruger that we haven't stayed in. Will definitely have to look at our "treats budget

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
Hi guys

I'd like to hear from anyone who has stayed at Boulders recently. I have a booking coming up and was wondering whats been on the go there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:28 pm 

Hi all...

I stayed there for a few days in 2005 with 10 mates...no woman! It was awesome. One of the quietest places i have ever been to....all i could hear was the occasional fly!

One night when we were all braaing, a huge herd of Buff, 4 resident young male Ellies and 2 lionesses came down for a drink at the waterhole within 25 min...what can i say?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:45 pm 

Aquilla wrote:
One night when we were all braaing, a huge herd of Buff, 4 resident young male Ellies and 2 lionesses came down for a drink at the waterhole within 25 min...what can i say?

I can think of several, ......fantastic, great, spectacular, and what a wonderful little camp. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can anyone who has stayed at Boulders tell me about the power situation.
I see it runs on solar which is for fans and lights only.
Does this mean that I can't use any appliances or charge batteries etc?
Also I would love to hear from someone who has stayed there what the two roads leading to the camp are like?
What is the viewing like, are the roads very narrow and completely lined by Mopani bush the whole way?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. the roads to and from the camp are narrow and lined with tree Mopane. All we saw on these roads was a pair of sandgrouse and yes, wait for it, a caracal (i didnt see it but the other vehicle with us did)

That's okay, seeing nothing is one thing - I just don't want to get chased by an ellie when I can't turn around :shock:

About the power thing - so can you plug stuff in like hairdryers and rechargeable batteries?
The website suggests that this is not possible - I am wondering if I am going to sit with bad looking hair for 8 days - I like to look good in the bush you know 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Liam, there are lots of pictures here. They're all thumbnails, so if you click them you'll get a bigger version. It looks beautiful!

Post subject: Re: Boulders Bush Lodge
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:00 pm 

The power supply at Boulders is very minimal - think it is solar.
We stayed there last September and the power is basically used to operate the lights in the communal areas and the chalets.
Only fans, no aircon.
Also use these lights as little as possible as they start to seriously fade from 7/8 o'clock.
There are NO plugs for chargers or hairdryers.
I charged my cellphone at Mopani camp's reception.
The water is also very minimal.
The water supply to the camp is normally switched off round about 10 in the morning to fill up the waterhole, especially if the buffalo herd emptied it!!!
I was caught off guard by this as I was still in the shower after a early morning drive :redface: !
There are fridges in the kitchen but they rather maintain room temperature than cooling the goodies - so rather stock up on ice at Mopani and use a dedicated coolbox (ice only) to ensure you do not run out of something cold to drink. :slap:
The waterhole is about 80 meters from the deck.
During the day it is quite easy to spot the game, but at night I recommend a strong torch (these fancy 1m candle light torches :clap: with car charger) and bino's to check out the nocturnal visitors.
We saw a leopard and hyenas there at night and ellies, kudu, impalas and a buffalo herd during the day.
The gravel road to Mopani is very dry (and long), but the Tzendze hide at the end is definitely worth it!
And ice-cream (or gin and tonic at the ladies bar) at Mopani is then just around the corner.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Post subject: Boulders Bush Lodge
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:13 pm 

Can anyone please tell me more about Boulders. What the kitchen facilities consist of? Is the kitchen fully equipped for 12 people? Are there any fridges/freezers? What does the communal braai area consist of? Are there enough tables/chairs for 12 people? I am thinking of having my 60th there next June and would appreciate any advice. Thanks. :dance:

Post subject: Re: Boulders Bush Lodge
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:42 pm 

Hi and thank you for your kind words of welcome.
I have looked at the pages and topics that you refer to. Unfortunately, I am in need of quite detailed info if I am to host a weekend there. I need to know exactly what I would have to bring along as far as utensils, glasses, ice and things like that. Also, whether the kitchen/dining area has enough tables/chairs for the 12 guests. If you can answer, thank you.

Post subject: Re: Problems in Boulders - Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:13 am 

We have stayed in BOULDERS several times and we love it.
We have seen rhino elephant, hyena and a herd of buffalo at the waterhole in front of the camp.
Take a good torch for night time viewings.
The fridges are good, there's cell phone reception and there are plugs but no air con just fans.
The guys who look after the camp are great.
No bugs but we generally go in winter.
I'll envy your nights sitting at the braai with a glass of red wine!-