Camp chatter

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Camp chatter

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm

The Kruger camps are often a place where strangers informally chat about Kruger related things which are sometimes sad, sometimes serious and sometimes very entertaining. One evening in Orpen at the communal kitchen there was a lady who was doing her dishes together with us and she was excellent with having a conversation and doing dishes at the same time. She was there with life-long friends of hers who were also frequent visitors to Kruger. She showed us her coffee flask that she and her husband, who at that stage had recently passed away, used during their many years together and their many many visits to Kruger. What was so remarkable and special about her was her positive outlook towards life and the passion that she talked about the things dear to her and the experiences she and her late husband shared in Kruger. Although we have not seen her again after our brief encounter whilst washing dishes together we will always remember her because it was obvious that she deeply missed her life-long Kruger partner. I hope the tradition where strangers just start talking to each other in Kruger camps will live on forever as it is a wonderful way of sharing Kruger stories.
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Camp chatter

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 pm

I met the most inspiring and amazing persons like that. Where you randomly meet, watching the Dam at Berg-en-Dal when a conversation starts, and never ends :thumbs_up:

The person who you would cut off on the N1 in Johburg in his/her flashy car, become your biggest friend..... Kruger is a strange place, and does strange things to us humans :lol:

Some of my best friends I met like that. Not doing dishes though :twisted:
Last edited by G@mespotter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 pm

I always use the camp kitchens to pass on and get 'intelligence' for the next day while I wash up.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 am

Bush Baptist I also found the kitchens to be a wonderful source of information to plan the trip for the next day. Sometimes I found them more helpful than the sightings boards. The chatting with other visitors when we go for a stroll along the fence can also be very rewarding. G@mespotter it is strange how people are friendlier towards each other whilst within the boundaries of the Park whilst back “on the outside” the stress takes over quickly. May Kruger forever be the place where we can make best friends.

zeelie

Unread postby zeelie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 am

it's nice to share your days sightings and stories around the fire or in the kitchens. it's part of the experience to us. Since the sightings books dissapeared, it was our "source" listening to others. (We don't trust the new sighting boards) Also making new friends is one of the nicest things about camp shatter.
Biyamiti 9 - 14 May

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm

I am beginning to think that we should do our washing up in the communal kitchens in future, instead of in our bungalow's kitchen! :wink: Although not life long friends as yet, we have met many wonderful people in the different camps we visited! And we often remember them and talk about them, wondering if we will ever meet again. That is what is so fantastic about Kruger - People become people again. That's the only place on earth where you always see friendly faces! :D
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

Perks.
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Perks. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Agree re the kitchens.

A place I found to be a good source of intel on this trip, was the pool... take the lightie for a swim, and chat with like-minded parents about what's been seen and where.

The irritation of course is running into Mr Alpha Male... if you saw a lion, he saw twelve lions in 30 seconds from leaving camp. If you saw a herd of buffalo, he saw the Guiness world record herd of buffalo. Big elephant, pffft, he saw the new Magnificent Seven in one hour. You know the type!?!? :P
Last trip: New Years in Skuks and Satara
Next: ....................................................

Perks.
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Perks. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Post-script... my missus often finds unusual goggas and the like, and shows them to the kids in neighbouring huts, more often than not it's something of an icebreaker with the parents.

This trip she found an enormous beetle in Berg-en-Dal, which she shared with the neighbours in the process of packing up. She also found a bat on our curtains which got relocated to a tree outside.

In Skukuza she found another bat, and picked it up with a towel. The aunty next door was adamant it shouldn't be shown to the kids. But the dad said sure. And after a few minutes, even the parents were interested, and even ouma was summoned from indoors, to have a look.
Last trip: New Years in Skuks and Satara
Next: ....................................................

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Kruger is one of those places where strangers just don't exist. I love the washing up chatter, even if I do not participate. It is such a wonderful way to finuish the day by enjoying other people's excitement.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 am

I agree with Meandering Mouse - strangers don’t exist in Kruger. Another interesting and sometimes amusing place to hear wonderful Kruger stories and conversation is at the Punda Maria camp in the evenings around the communal braai fires. We were once entertained for quite a while by a very talkative “oom” and “tannie” who were drinking a lot of coke and ice from those water drinking glasses they have in the huts. What was wonderful about them was their passion for Kruger and the stories that got more colourful and interesting as the evening grew older. Must have been something in those glasses that got topped up regularly. They were great.

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:58 pm

I once overheard a very “typical Kruger” story at the camp kitchen in Letaba. Two ladies were washing their dishes and the one said to the other: There is no way that we will let the men decide where we should drive tomorrow. They are completely useless, they take us on all these roads where there is no animals to be seen. Why do they always want to take us in the Satara direction? Tomorrow we will show them, we will drive to Mopani and we will see plenty of game. I am not sure whether they succeeded as I did not meet them again after that brief encounter at the camp kitchen.

PetraJ
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PetraJ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 pm

I found the ablutions early in the morning when all the ladies are "tittavating" very informative as well. Heard about some great sightings :thumbs_up:

PetraJ
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PetraJ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:42 am

So this past Saturday evening, a friend and I was doing the dishes in Pretoriuskop. Come this charming fellow and we started chatting about the lions we saw that morning on a buffalo kill. So we also talked about some Sable someone spotted near Transport dam, where I commented, I would love to take a pic of that and post it on the forum. And he answer ... "oh, you also on the forum?" And that is how I met Avon Vosloo in Pretoriuskop. Avon, it was really nice chatting to you :clap:

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 am

PetraJ it is always interesting to chat with fellow Kruger travelers in the camps, such as in your case where you have met a fellow forum member :D . I however find that Kruger visitors are a bit more reserved these days, perhaps it is one of the aspects of modern life and people rather prefer communication by the internet and blackberry and others and to do their own thing

Heksie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)

Unread postby Heksie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:14 pm

BB maybe its the grey beard that makes them think that you are a oulike oupa :w:
Trips:
26 Dec-10 Jan Sabie Park

4-8 March Skukuza
29 March-2 April Skukuza
12-14 July Lower Sabie
15-18 July Tsendze
24-27 September Lower Sabie

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”