Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Camp chatter
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I found the ablutions early in the morning when all the ladies are "tittavating" very informative as well. Heard about some great sightings :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Some of them must have to get up at about 3h00 to look presentable hey Petra!

I met a woman st Tamboti wash up and we had seen each other at a 'sighting'. After enquiring why they were all staring at a whole lot of high grass, somebody said lions were lying there. "Thanks" I said and my dad & I drove on. The lady said they were there for 3 hours and seen nothing. We found lions a lot further on, on the road.......

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So this past Saturday evening, a friend and I was doing the dishes in Pretoriuskop. Come this charming fellow and we started chatting about the lions we saw that morning on a buffalo kill. So we also talked about some Sable someone spotted near Transport dam, where I commented, I would love to take a pic of that and post it on the forum. And he answer ... "oh, you also on the forum?" And that is how I met Avon Vosloo in Pretoriuskop. Avon, it was really nice chatting to you :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
PetraJ it is always interesting to chat with fellow Kruger travelers in the camps, such as in your case where you have met a fellow forum member :D . I however find that Kruger visitors are a bit more reserved these days, perhaps it is one of the aspects of modern life and people rather prefer communication by the internet and blackberry and others and to do their own thing

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Nobody isreserved when I am around. I talk to anyone.

Even people on the London underground.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
BB maybe its the grey beard that makes them think that you are a oulike oupa :w:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I agree with Grantmissy that some people are not so ready to share these days in Kruger, but there are still plenty who will. :thumbs_up:

We are in an age where people are more reserved and wary of others, but I have started to make the first move (before that I was a bit shy, so waited for others!!) and we have met some wonderful people both Saffie and foreign. :dance:

It is very true that a passion for wildlife gives us common ground to communicate with total strangers, who normally we would have had nothing to do with!!

Can't wait to get back and meet some more like minded people.

Also of course these forums have allowed me to meet some awesome people!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On a very warm day in July while we were driving from Satara to Tshokwane there was a leopard in a tree very close to the road with an Impala that he has just caught. We arrived a bit later than all the other cars and understandably there were quite a few already and we were a bit further down the line of cars than those in the prime positions. When we arrived at Tshokwane later for lunch the other people there were quite chatty, like if everybody knew each other, about the leopard and the impala in the tree. It was nice to hear from the other people how it all exactly happened as some saw the stalking and when the leopard caught the Impala and how he dragged the Bok into the tree. I find the chatter (not the typing of messages on cell phones and other handheld devices type of chatter) at the Kruger camps and the picnic spots (still) quite good.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

I have lots fond memories of the communal kitchens, even a love affair with one in Tamboti :roll: . Can remember my dad & uncle would always do the washing up in the evenings. Now, years later I realise it wasn’t so much diligence as checking out the talent, sorry I mean sharing intelligence. :D
Once they came back from the kitchen, in high spirits mind you :lol: , to tell us two lady students (blond and from Sweden) very excitedly told them of their rare 5 Cori bustard sighting.
Shyly dad later asked if we knew what a cori bustard is. Since then, whenever we see a Gom Pou it’s a special sighting with lots of laughter. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Grantmissy wrote:
I find the chatter (not the typing of messages on cell phones and other handheld devices type of chatter) at the Kruger camps and the picnic spots (still) quite good.

So true! Lovely memories! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:yaya: Giraffee :D. I agree pleasant or fond memories are good and Kruger provides so many of them to a lot of people :thumbs_up:

giraffee wrote:
I have lots fond memories of the communal kitchens, even a love affair with one in Tamboti
:hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:35 pm 

:yaya: Grantmissy. :lol: :lol:
Maybe because it’s like a beacon at the end of a long dark walk were leopards dwell. I even love the lamp shades :redface: .
Maybe it’s the memories of the bestest holidays in the world
and frying bacon before daybreak, leads to interesting conversations with strangers :D.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On our last visit to Satara in June, the loud roar of lions could be heard at about 19:00. After we finnished our supper, SO and I decided to go the fence and have a look towards the waterhole side to see if we could spot the lions (that was where the roaring came from). When we got there, there were quite a few other people who had the same idea us. So there we were - about 10 or 20 strangers all with our flashlights "hunting" for lions. "I think I see it", one would shout and all would run there. "Look there!" and we'll all shine our flashlights there. We could never identify the lions for sure, although we saw some eyes and movements of grass, but the experience of standing by (and running along) the fence that night was priceless. Like a lot of excited schoolchildren with torches - giggling, laughing and shouting with excitement. All strangers - and not one under the age of 16 probably! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
I talk to everybody, whether it is a simple "hello" or asking about something or sharing our Kruger "information". I love the communal kitchens, it is a gold mine of information just waiting for somebody to say the right thing. I LOVE doing dishes in the Kruger because it is the only time of the year that I get any help from SO and LO. We do the dishes as a team while on holiday. LO and I wash while SO dries and packs the dishes back into my plastic basin. Some people are not very "open" to chatting to complete strangers but this may sound real cheesy but it is true "A stranger is a friend you don't know yet" :wink: :wink:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015