Skip to Content

Camp chatter

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Camp chatter

Unread postby Crested Val » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:38 pm

I agree with Grantmissy that some people are not so ready to share these days in Kruger, but there are still plenty who will. :thumbs_up:

We are in an age where people are more reserved and wary of others, but I have started to make the first move (before that I was a bit shy, so waited for others!!) and we have met some wonderful people both Saffie and foreign. :dance:

It is very true that a passion for wildlife gives us common ground to communicate with total strangers, who normally we would have had nothing to do with!!

Can't wait to get back and meet some more like minded people.

Also of course these forums have allowed me to meet some awesome people!!! :thumbs_up:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 am

On a very warm day in July while we were driving from Satara to Tshokwane there was a leopard in a tree very close to the road with an Impala that he has just caught. We arrived a bit later than all the other cars and understandably there were quite a few already and we were a bit further down the line of cars than those in the prime positions. When we arrived at Tshokwane later for lunch the other people there were quite chatty, like if everybody knew each other, about the leopard and the impala in the tree. It was nice to hear from the other people how it all exactly happened as some saw the stalking and when the leopard caught the Impala and how he dragged the Bok into the tree. I find the chatter (not the typing of messages on cell phones and other handheld devices type of chatter) at the Kruger camps and the picnic spots (still) quite good.
Do not support Circuses that uses wild and other animals to perform circus acts to amuse people

giraffee

Unread postby giraffee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 pm

I have lots fond memories of the communal kitchens, even a love affair with one in Tamboti :roll: . Can remember my dad & uncle would always do the washing up in the evenings. Now, years later I realise it wasn’t so much diligence as checking out the talent, sorry I mean sharing intelligence. :D
Once they came back from the kitchen, in high spirits mind you :lol: , to tell us two lady students (blond and from Sweden) very excitedly told them of their rare 5 Cori bustard sighting.
Shyly dad later asked if we knew what a cori bustard is. Since then, whenever we see a Gom Pou it’s a special sighting with lots of laughter. :lol: :lol:
Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me. ~Cheryl Strayed

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm

On our last visit to Satara in June, the loud roar of lions could be heard at about 19:00. After we finnished our supper, SO and I decided to go the fence and have a look towards the waterhole side to see if we could spot the lions (that was where the roaring came from). When we got there, there were quite a few other people who had the same idea us. So there we were - about 10 or 20 strangers all with our flashlights "hunting" for lions. "I think I see it", one would shout and all would run there. "Look there!" and we'll all shine our flashlights there. We could never identify the lions for sure, although we saw some eyes and movements of grass, but the experience of standing by (and running along) the fence that night was priceless. Like a lot of excited schoolchildren with torches - giggling, laughing and shouting with excitement. All strangers - and not one under the age of 16 probably! :D
13-19 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
20-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-25 June 2015 - Olifants
26-28 June 2015 - Letaba

13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
14-15 Dec 2015 - Grootkolk
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob
17-18 Dec 2015 - Mata Mata
19 Dec 2015 - Twee Rivieren

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 pm

I talk to everybody, whether it is a simple "hello" or asking about something or sharing our Kruger "information". I love the communal kitchens, it is a gold mine of information just waiting for somebody to say the right thing. I LOVE doing dishes in the Kruger because it is the only time of the year that I get any help from SO and LO. We do the dishes as a team while on holiday. LO and I wash while SO dries and packs the dishes back into my plastic basin. Some people are not very "open" to chatting to complete strangers but this may sound real cheesy but it is true "A stranger is a friend you don't know yet" :wink: :wink:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”