Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: S122 - Muntshe Loop
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:00 am 

During October on my visit the whole area had been burnt so the grass will not be that long yet but should be beautiful and green. This area does attract big herds of zebra,wildebeest,buffalo, rhinos and also the famous Muntshe pride lives here. This pride was seen on a buffalo kill at the end of October, a big pride of lions. There is also the cheetah brothers that are seen here.

Good :cam: hunting.

Bornfree. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I will be patrolling the area soon ... Nkumbe at sunrise and sunset .... the area west of Muntshe ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey all

Drove this road twice about 2 weeks ago. It is looking so so so beautiful. Short green grass everywhere and the viewing is fantastic.
Each time we drove it we saw a herd of about 700 buffalo (got a poor video clip) with Ellies and Rhino mixed in. Also numerous other elephant, dugga boy and rhino sightings.
Saw about 5-10 Steenbok sightings on each occasion as well as many many warthog. There was also some good plains game and hundreds of Monotonous Larks (although these guys are all over the South at the moment).
The Cheetah brothers were also seen on this road with the junction of the S29 but we just missed them. We saw some lions west of Muntshe and a leopard on the way from Lower Sabi as well as a Reedbuck Male.

In other words, this makes a great morning drive from Lower Sabi!

Good Luck and for now its worth just going for the view and seeing the huge plains that go as far as the eye can see!! I think with all the game around someone is bound to see a Cheetah Kill or a nice lion sighting soon...lets see... :whistle:

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 pm 

I was lucky enough to drive the loop on Sunday (Dec 12). In the rain and mud following Saturday night's storm I enjoyed 5 minutes with the cheetah brothers on the short stretch that links the H10 to the S122 - the road to Mlondozi Dam, watching them climb down off a tree, walk towards me and thankfully pose for some pictures in the road. :dance:

After stopping at Mlondozi, I took the S122 and saw quite a few ele's in addition to 2 white Rhino's fighting. Sceneray is currently beautiful with lots of greenery. If it does rain hard, be careful of the road as the stretch past Mlondozi resembles more a mud bath than a road :pray:

Park in general is looking great and while sightings may be scarce, those sightings one does have are brilliant:

4 separate lion sightings
2 separate sightings of wild dog
The cheetah brothers
Hyena en mass, and
NO WILDEBEEST
:thumbs_up:

Can't wait to get back in April

Horrace

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:26 am 

Guys just been back this wknd from the park and gotta say that a visual perspective the S122 is really gonna be hard to beat. As been mentioned by O-dog, Horrace etc this area is just STUNNiNGLY breathtaking at the moment. Just so green with short grass esp the eastern half of the loop with great sightings to be had of ellies & rhinos. Unfortunately no cat sightings for me here but the cats were regularly spotted here ....lion & cheetah.

A pride of 12 lions were seen on Saturday afternoon after 5pm lying 2m off the road as well as cheetah closer to the S29 T. So they are def around.
Oh and almost forgot i got to see big herds of buff in excess of 500 so some really nice sightings to be had.

EnJoY !!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm 

Have not had much luck on S122, driven it on a few occasions often as a detour off the H10. Its very scenic but hasn't offered much in the way of sightings for myself.

I find the drive just north of Mlondozi to Tshokwane a "long stretch" of road, always waiting for Nkumbe! Sightings improving as you get closer to Tshokwane.

Having said this though, it looks as if the area is cooking at the moment, but don't you worry when I return it will be devoid of any activity once again ;-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 am 

S122 IS A WONDERFUL ROAD.I travelled this road together with the nearby Mlondozi loop on several occassions the past 5 years and had woderful sightings of cheetah(the last one in December 2010 where I was the only car with 3 cheetah on the road for more than an hour!).Also a wonderful sighting IN dECEMBER 2010 of a rarely seen civet cat on the road and in the nearby veld for about 5 minutes.I also saw my first side-stripe jackal a few years ago as well as several black backed jackal on this stretch of road.Also lots of elephants and rhinos and buffaloes.The only one of the big 5 I have not seen on this stretch is leopard.I saw lion once at the beginning of the loop.I also once saw a cheetah with a waterbuck kill on the tar road just before the turnoff to the S122.Also good sightings of reedbuck and other general game.Worthwile to do this trip at least once a visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We could not drive this road in January this year due to the rains. According to what I read this is a road recommended for possible Reedbuck sightings. We will drive this road in July during our next visit – perhaps we will be lucky and see them. Has anyone seen Reedbuck in this area lately?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm 

All our Reedbuck sightings have been on the H10 more or less in the vicinity of the Muntshe loop, so I would not be surprised to see them there.
Will definitely take a drive there in the next few weeks! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I enjoy this road! Love the open grasslands :D
Secretary birds, kori bustards, jackal, steenbokkies, willies and zebs. 8) I have seen a couple of big buff herds here, and some nice elephant bulls 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:11 pm 

Every time we drive this road we get charged by an eliie :evil:
Last time was the worst ever when we got double charged, thinking we were out harms way the SO slowed down but the ellie just swerved and ran at us even faster.... :big_eyes:

No more loop for us.. :doh: