Babalala Picnic Site

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Babalala Picnic Site

Unread postby GlenD » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Flutterby wrote:Or is this just another ploy to keep us down south? :hmz:

I was harassed by elephants just about every time I went for a drive when I stayed at Lower Sabie in January this year so in my mind all ellies have the potential to be aggressive, some just hide it better than others :wink: :tongue:

If I remember correctly, Afsaal also had a rogue that chased a few people at the picnic spot not too long ago. In fact there are pictures on display at Afsaal showing the happenings.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Flutterby wrote: I am really starting to rethink this trip to the north...how does anyone make it out alive with all these rogue ellies??? :big_eyes: Or is this just another ploy to keep us down south? :hmz:

An incredible story and experience vanderw!
Flutters, I really don't think you need to stress, we have been up North many times now and honestly can say, have not had any experiences with the Ellies that we haven't had a time or 2 down South. Just try and keep a safe distance and remember how many visitors there have been there, say in a year and how often does one hear of any real damage having being done. 8)
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Flutterby wrote: - I am really starting to rethink this trip to the north...how does anyone make it out alive with all these rogue ellies??? :big_eyes:

The ellies up north are certainly bigger and more intimidating than those down south , but as long as you keep your distance ........ :whistle:

We once had an incident at Shingwedzi with one guy , late afternoon on the Kanniedood road , standing right next to the road , refused to budge , and every time you came closer , he advanced , with ears forward and trunk raised :big_eyes: It became quite late , with gate-closing time approaching , when suddenly he turned his back on us as if to say " OK , now you can come past " . And thats exactly what we did , waited a few minutes to check him out , then went past him ( at about 6 meters ) , him with his back turned on us and not moving . Scary :big_eyes: But I think he just enjoyed terrorising us :naughty:
And the next day , another one did exactly the same thing , but on the other side of camp :P

Enjoy it . Last year we saw one with enormous tusks come to drink at Babalala . He was a new one , and Aat gave him a name Mavatsani -

Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 pm

All I'm saying, is only ever near Shing, have I been charged by an elephant that I don't know where it is :big_eyes:
I just heard trumpeting and breaking branches and took a guess and drove forwards :shock:
If only I had the chance to look at him with hippy eyes 8)
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 am

Lovely tusker Okie...and we will just keep our eyes peeled...not hippy eyes....everything would look hazy then! :lol:
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:I have never had a bad ele experience north of Olifants.

The guys around Shing seem to be relaxed.

Wow!!!

Whether relaxed or not the road to Kaniedood Dam can be an elephant gauntlet especially in winter...before you know it there are elephants all around you and only a windy 2 track to negotiate ones way out of backwards and thats if there aren't more elephants behind you!!
Had more hair raising moments there than I can remember and the elephants there have no respect for cars and why should they :wink:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:19 pm

You see!!! :big_eyes: I don't think I'm going to risk taking that road...my son will be petrified!!! :lol:
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

lettuceleaf711

Unread postby lettuceleaf711 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:29 pm

or alternatively it might cure him, flutterby.

but that kanniedood road definitely can get intense - but the eles there are used to the cars and know that a bit of trumpeting gets the cars to back off. i have never seen real aggression towards cars there.

the only aggressive ones i have encountered in KNP were a few moggy old bulls close to sirheni.

lettuceleaf711

Unread postby lettuceleaf711 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:40 pm

i used to be edgy around eles until i was about 16. completely relaxed around them now. you never know :)

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Im fine around them if I have an escape route. The minute im blocked in by other cars, i get tense :evil:

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby granjan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:50 pm

I'll be in Shingwedzi on the 30th and 31st , solo for the second time :dance: :dance: and I'll be VERY
respectful to those ellies but just a LITTLE adrenalin surge now and again keeps us oldies young!

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 am

Flutterby wrote:Bush Brat gets tense even if the ellie is a kilometre away!! :doh: :lol:

:lol:

Sounds like my sister. When you stop to look at an elephant, and you see she's suddenly disapeared, you will find her on the car floor behind the front seat LOL!

We were watching elephants on the Mphongolo road one year when suddenly we realised we were completely surrounded by them, thats how thick the mopani bush was.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:22 pm

My wife is quite cool with eles around and I get lot of flak about it, but then she has not yet been charged.....
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

rufie

Unread postby rufie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Anything interesting seen here?

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 pm

rufie wrote:Anything interesting seen here?

Yes, Roan Antelope and Eland, though I don't know how things are at the moment with the Anthrax outbreak. :hmz:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”