Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roodewal Bush Lodge
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 am 

Quote:
Hi Schoemanskloof -we have stayed at Roodewal twice (2011 and 2010) and loved it so much we are going back in May! The Sanpark website has not updated their accommodation description as the cottages no longer have lofts. There are 4 cottages each with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a small sitting/kitchen area and stoep. Then there is the communal dining room and separate kitchen and outside braai area with plenty of fridges,pots,crockery,etc. So 16 people is max unless they allow children to sleep on the couch which I doubt.
Sorry for the misinformation :redface: We stayed both times in No 3 and our friends were in No's 1&2 so we never saw No4's bedrooms -only their living area. Very useful to know that there are two extra beds and that the camp can accommodate 18 :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm 

Thanks all for the useful information on the sleeping accommodations - we're excited to bring our family together, and do it in a great camp in a great park!

Any confirmation that the power is solar-only, and not available for re-charging cameras, lamp, etc? We have seen a similar description for our stay 2years ago in Boulders, and there were plug-points available to recharge items; I think this was through the generator, and solar during the day.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 am 

:rtm: We have just spent 4 nights at Roodewal (our 3rd stay) and sadly have quite a few complaints! (I have already sent off my feedback form).
The hot water in all four chalets was a problem with only one shower working in each of the two bathrooms -we were only 4 couples so it was OK as we did not have to share a chalet but I wonder how Schoemanskloof will manage.
The dining room normally has two fridges but this time we only had one and it kept turning off so we struggled to keep our salads, drinks etc cold.
Our chalet(No3) had no fridge and the fridges in the other chalets either froze everything or did not have racks .
We complained to Satara and on day 3 they delivered 2 old electric fridges! (Roodewal runs on gas).
We complained further and a manageress was sent out to try to address our problems.
They finally sent a big Coca Cola chest fridge which they tried to fit into our small chalet kitchen!
It was too late for us to use anyway.
They have also decided to place the Green bins right next to the outside eating area and spoilt the beautiful view.
Also there were large mounds of gravel in front of the chalets that are going to be spread out but nothing happened while we were there and grass was already growing out of them.
Lastly the monkeys have become such a problem that they target you if you try to carry food from the kitchen to the dining room! :naughty:
Sorry about the tirade but I LOVE Roodewal and am very sad to see the deterioration in management and Maria and Prudence who run a very clean camp will bear the brunt of visitors complaints.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:41 pm 

That is such sad news. :( My entire family are heading to Roodewal in 2 weeks time for 3 nights. I hope they have sorted out these issues in the last 5 months, but judging by the pace that these things happen I am not holding thumbs.

I am glad I decided to scour the forums for more info. At least now I will be sure to bring extra torches, a gas lamp, and an Engel fridge or 2.

I hope the monkeys are not too much of a nuisance as there will be young children accompanying us.

Thanks for the info...

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 pm 

Fieryneck come armed with a bag of pebbles and a few catties -it was the only way we could keep the monkeys at bay when we ate outside during the day! Of course we never actually hit them but the rattle in the trees chased them off for a short while! :naughty: I do hope they have attended to the problems as it is a wonderful camp regardless. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Any suggestions as to where to buy catties.
Have been looking out for them but no luck.
Maybe we will have to make them!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 pm 

I would rather suggest water pistols as an alternative, much safer and just as effective. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:03 am 

That's just what I was thinking Elsa. I can get a few of those super soaker water pistols, and if they are as effective as you say, then we can set up a few kid bodyguards to keep the monkeys at bay while the adults prepare food.

Only problem is that a 3 year old with a water pistol can be a big frustration for adults not wanting to get wet! ;)

I'm assuming Roodewal has a borehole so water isn't a problem? Would it be a good idea to bring a small plunge pool for the kids? November is pretty hot and Satara is a long drive...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:54 pm 

Fireyneck, water is always very precious and scarce in the park and we are asked to use it sparingly so I am not sure whether a plunge pool, unless its very small, would be welcomed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 pm 

Interesting how many times I have noticed the sprinklers on in Kruger camps during the middle of the hottest, windiest and driest day during a dry season and those same camps have numerous signs stating the preciousness of water :hmz:

I agree to not waist water, but considering a small plunge pool will not be contaminated with soap (like showers and washing), and will be returned directly back to the ground from which it was pumped, I do not see this as a big waist of water, particularly if it can be used for 3 days to entertain kids and full up water pistols. Or am I wrong? The evaporation effect will be far less than a sprinkler. I am talking about one of those little blow up jobs with about 15cm of water in it.

The same thing in the Kgalagadi would be a big No No where even underground water is scarce and evaporation is drastic.

But I do see your point Elsa, if we end up taking one it will be very small and we will put very little water in.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 pm 

The sprinklers that you see watering the camp grounds is usually pumped directly from the rivers and not fit for human consumption.
Water in the accommodations has had to be filtrated and purified therefore more labour intensive especially in the more remote camps. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm 

We have recently returned from Roodewal and I would just like to follow up on the numerous issues pointed out by pamelajane.

Showers: All showers we used had hot water. There are no baths which is a consideration if you are taking younger children.

Fridges and Freezers: The dining room had 1 fridge and 1 freezer and the kitchen had 1 freezer. All were working fine. 2 days in, 2 of them failed but they had just run out of gas, once this was replaced they were working fine again. I'm not 100% sure on the room fridges but I think these were working correctly too.

Green Bins: I agree that these are STUPIDLY placed as they do obstruct the view.

Gravel piled outside rooms: this has been sorted out

Monkeys: Still a problem, and unfortunately caused by us silly humans. I did my best to prevent them getting their hands on anything, but once they grabbed a rusk off the table as I was carting things back into the kitchen, and another time they grabbed a bag of cashews from my car as I was loading it. They are VERY fast and seem to only be scared of men. Water pistols work, but only as far as they squirt, and only while they are squirting. The monkeys sit just out of range and as soon as you stop, will move back into their attack positions!

I found that throwing a couple of stones, or just pretending to do so would keep them at bay for the longest.

So, since pamelajane's visit SanParks have corrected a lot of issues. At the price one pays for this camp one expects these small conveniences.

The lighting was sufficient for indoors and was functional all the time. We had a gas lamp and solar lantern for outdoor lighting and an inverter which we set up indoors to charge cameras, phones, tablets etc.

Satara were willing to send a vehicle to do a morning walk (or game drive if you want), but for a minimum charge of R4300 we decided this was a bit steep - even if we had 8 people wanting to go this comes to R537.50 pp.

I absolutely loved Roodewal. Due to the exclusivity and remoteness of this camp, it is a complete gem and we had a wonderful stay there. The camp has loads of shade and open space for kids to run around. There are also nice trees to climb. There is no grass which is understandable.

In terms of game, this camp is in a prime area. We had a bull elephant around camp for most of our stay, feeding from the lush new bush (there must have been good rains) and digging a hole in the river bed to drink from.

The drive along the Timbavati river has always delivered good sightings for me and this time was no exception. The area was literally teaming with general game, and so therefore the predator numbers are also high. The impalas had just started lambing and I finally witnessed my first birth. It was a real privilege to watch an impala lamb take its first steps :D

There was a group of 3 male lions in the area and we saw them on 3 occasions and heard them on our last night.

If you have a group of 8-18 people, definitely consider Roodewal. It is difficult to book, and remote to get to, but well worth it!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 pm 

Thanks for the feed back Fieryneck! :thumbs_up:

Glad you had a good stay and that many of the past issues have been sorted out!

Just a pity the monkeys are still a problem but as you say most likely caused by some visitors feeding them.
Sightings sounded fantastic. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:21 pm 

Please, please please move those dustbins. They are of course really useful and important to have, but no one wants to come to Kruger, let alone Roodewal, to look at two big green dustbins.

Please SANPARKS

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm 

Fully agree Antman :clap: They really spoil the view and if the bins are used not so good to have right next to the eating and braaing area. Here is another photo for those who don't know Roodewal. Behind the Bins is the very beautiful river bed.They really should be moved so that they are close to the kitchen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next