View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Difference between main restcamp and bushveld camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Depends what you like.
You get less but you also get more.
No shop, no restaurant or cafeteria, no petrol, so you have to take all your own food and drink with you and do your own cooking, but the bushveld camps are smaller, not so many people, and the bush is right there, as if you are out in it. There is less light pollution so more chance of star watching, and most bushveld camps are on quiet back roads with less traffic. I have only stayed at Talamati and there were drives and bush walks from there at that time. The chalets there were very comfortable.

Why not also consider Tamboti tented camp near Orpen which is similar - away from the crowds - but not as expensive. Lionspoon and Meandering Mouse have both posted trip reports recently having stayed at Tamboti.

Hope you enjoy your visit. Remember, too, that Feb is probably going to be quite hot and I think some of the more eco-friendly camps don't have electricity for aircons.

Sue

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Giraffe,

long time no hear 8) I am quite sure you miss out a lot when not staying in a bushveld camp. The main difference is that there is no shop or restaurant and only up to 15 chalets/bungalows which is making the whole camp far more quietier and less frequented. Sometimes in case of Biyamiti the roads which are leading to the camps are "private" roads which are only open for those who will stay in the camp.

In many bushveld camps there will also be a nice walk to strech the lengs a bit and they do also have at least one hide inside camp and sometimes also two. All bungalows will have the complete kitchen with all utensils as well as a private braai. Most of the chalets are for 4 or more people in the bushveld camps and that is also the different in the price as you will have far more space.

I would recommend that you just try one or two stays in different bushveld camps during your forthcoming trip (Biyamiti is highly recommendable and is also one of the cheaper bushveld camps).

BTW we will also be in Kruger in February so please fly your YR high maybe we will meet each other on the roads :dance: :dance: :dance:

Happy planning :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Yvonne, AS chirinda said it depends on what you like most.
I've stayed in most main camps in KNP and also stayed a couple of nights at Talamati, which I now consider my favourite camp in KNP.
Beautiful units, spacious and very very quite compared to main camps. You only have a small reception area with public telephone and that's it. Fantastic for a couple, or more nights, looking for peace and a very relaxing holiday.
The difference in price is mainly due to the difference between the two accommodations. Talamati units are proper fully furbished houses with large kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom and enormous veranda with BBQ, and you only have 15 units. You have to bring everything, including fire wood, with you and nearest shop in Satara.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
HI Giraffe :D

I like both types, but my preference is for the bushveld camp. The accomodation at some of the camps is truly spacious. I love the intimacy and the peace.

Having said that, because I often travel alone, the convenience of the restcamp is also appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Excellent Giraffe, I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy your stay at the bushcamps.
Fly your yellow ribbon and hope you meet other fellow formites during your trip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
To me the main difference is the bit more peace and quiet that a person has in the bushveld camps. To me it seems that the visitors are also more relaxed in the bushveld camps.

Post subject: How popular are bush camps
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:01 am 

As I read through the posts here on the Forum I have noticed that the tented camps
are not mentioned very often.
Sirheni,Bateleur,Tamboti and Biaymati
Is there a reason for this or is it that the experienced have stayed there in the past and
now stay in the bigger established camps because of the better facilities.
We originally tried to stay in Biaymati but it was full(early Sept 14) so we have booked into
Coc.Bridge for 3 nights before moving on.

Post subject: Re: How popular are bush camps
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The only "tented" camp in your list is Tamboti.
And all of the bush camps are VERY popular.
There are individual threads on all of them, so I suggest that you have a look.
Yes they have no shops or restaurants, but the smaller size of the bush camps and the peace and quiet are a HUGE plus.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 am 

Personally we prefer to stay in the bush camps as they are much more private and intimate.
We like to self cater so the lack of a shop is unimportant.
If we need to buy anything then we stop off at one of the main camps on our drives.
As arks says the bushcamps are VERY popular and fill up fast so book well in advance if you plan to go -by the way Shimuwini even has a swimming pool!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Were it not for the price, (I often travel alone), bush camps would be my first choice every time.

Tambotie offers reasonable accommodation and is an excellent compromise.

I often stay at the Lower Sabie tented camp that is a bit cut off from the main camp. This is another possibility.

Punda Maria is a small camp that also offers tented accommodation and it is also set slightly away from the main camp.

Croc Bridge, Skukuza and Letaba all offer permanent tents, but these are more integrated into the main areas.

I tend to love the tents. It allows the sounds to filter in and takes in the best of camping without the hassle of pitching tents.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:32 am 

They are smaller camps - less people - less feedback on the forum.
I have been to them all except Biyamati (which is booked for June)
I love them - peaceful & quiet.
MM is correct they are a bit expensive for one and even a bit out of some peoples price range for two but if you can afford them definitely put at least one into a trip.
You can stock up on anything you need at a shop at the camp the day before & they all usually sell ice and wood.
Absolutely wonderful for a different bit of Kruger

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
"Better faciities" is an interesting term in the Kruger context.

There is no restaurant, shop, swimming pool, fuel station, so it is a resounding YES for the bigger camps.

But if you want a different, more exclusive, semi private experience, in up market accom, then the bush camps are the way to go, if you can afford them.

Post subject: What's the difference between rest camps and bushveld camps?
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 am 

Hi from the Rocky Mountains in Boulder, Colorado, USA:
Husband, teen-age son and I excited for our first trip to SA and Kruger in July. I've been researching park accommodations, but still unsure how bushveld camps differ from rest camps. Also, while the northern camps sound less congested - and therefore more appealing -- we can only enjoy 4 or 5 days in the park. Would you advise breaking this up into two locations within this short time period? Which bushveld or rest camps are your favorites, and why? Also, when is the July school holiday, which some have mentioned? Thanks kindly for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: What's the difference between rest camps and bushveld ca
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The main rest camps are large with a variety of accommodation types including camping sites with ablutions blocks laundry etc. They have a petrol station, shop, restaurant and other facilities.

Bushveld camps are much smaller and more exclusive and only have bungalow accommodation. There is no shop, restaurant or petrol station. They are usually situated on their own access road in a beautiful secluded location. I love the bushveld camps for their sense of peace and quiet and being immersed in the bush.

With only a few days in the park you should probably stick mostly to the south. Biyamiti bushveld camp is a very popular bushveld camp and comes highly recommended but I think you would struggle to get a booking there now.

I would probably divide time between Lower Sabie or Skukuza and Satara. Best to book ASAP.

Post subject: Re: What's the difference between rest camps and bushveld ca
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 am 

As an add to the above, I would check availability on your selected overnight choices as soon as your are able. Most camps will be fairly full this close to your travel dates.

Mike