Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Rules in Concessions of KNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm 

Agreed. Firstly and most importantly it is about respect for the environment and the damage caused by off-road driving. It will also most certainly affect me and no doubt the average tourist.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 pm 

Rooies, to answer some of your questions re off road driving and folks who get out of their vehicles.
Unfortunately if a person/tourist gets killed by an animal, by and large that animal is put down or destroyed and that I do definitely care about!
As for the off roading, I always think about how many small creatures are damaged/killed, could be anything from a tortoise, chameleon, lizards, eggs of various things, even plants.
I know it can and does happen on the roads but in the grass, bush etc they are unseen and therefore much more likely.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Rooies, I was just trying to find the same article. It was quite shocking to see the estimated number of years it takes for the damage to repair itself, even after just one vehicle pass.

I seem to recall that the article was based on this study.

Quote:
Studies on the effects of off-road driving on soils were conducted in the Makuleke Contractual Park of the Kruger National Park. The studies were conducted on three different soils with different textures and soil compactibilities. Traffic pressure was applied with a game drive vehicle loaded with 11 sand bags, each weighing 70 kg. This gave a total vehicle mass of 3,795 kg, simulating a vehicle fully laden with tourists. The study included: (i) comparing of the effects of four different tyre pressures; (ii) comparing the effects of 1-3 vehicle passes over the same tyre tracks; (iii) comparison of traffic effects under dry and wet soil moisture conditions, on soil compaction, respectively. After each pass penetration resistances were measured (a) on the tyre tracks, (b) between the tyre tracks and (c) at different distances outside the tyre tracks. As expected, vehicular traffic caused soil compaction below the wheel tracks. Lower tyre pressures caused less compaction than higher tyre pressures. Fewer vehicle passes also caused less compaction than more passes on the same tracks, but most compaction occurred during the first pass. Thus, driving on the same tracks more than once is less damaging than driving once on different tracks. Controlled traffic should be considered when developing management strategies for off-road driving in wildlife protected areas.

Full study here.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All :)

Please see below an extract from the Concessions Manual: Concessions are allowed to drive off road but only under certain conditions.

The Concessionaire will maintain a register and record on a daily basis each off-road driving event that occurs, including all relevant details of the event, as required by SANParks. Failure to maintain the register will be cause for terminating a Concessionaire’s permission to drive off-road.

GUIDELINES
Off-road driving may only be undertaken in the event of a confirmed sighting of elephant, leopard, lion, rhino, buffalo, wild dog, and cheetah;

Off-road driving will not be permitted in areas where Red Data Plant species are known to exist, or in any other areas that SANParks are using for conservation or other management purposes;

Vehicles driving off-road may under no circumstances follow in the tracks of another vehicle;

NO off-road driving will be permitted at river crossings. Concessionaires wishing to drive along riverbeds must develop and carefully manage track spurs into and out of the river(s), which will count as part of the road and track network allocation;

Off-road driving is not permitted in wet conditions, on sodic patches, or duplex soils; and
Any off-road damage to be repaired immediately (compaction reversed, ruts erased)

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There needs to be a little balance here. We must ask what effect does building tarmac roads have in KNP or the gravel roads for that matter? Lavatories? Delivery trucks? Then, as we have said, there is the through traffic on the tarmac roads going to Mozambique.

The concessions and private game reserves really have very few visitors and the numbers are miniscule compared to the number of visitors driving around KNP every week, even if they are on the roads.

Most of us accept that without those humans that appreciate and support the wilderness, it would have disappeared long ago and the concessions and expensive reserves in the Sabi Sands, all play their part in contributing to the preservation of the Greater KNP.

Last edited by missings.a.! on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm 

I am sure the off road driving would only apply to the roads allotted to the concessions and not any of the public roads in the park.
I know there are rules that they have to follow once they get onto the KNP public roads like putting the windscreen back up whereas when they are on their "own" roads they have it folded down.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
Missings, I catch your drift (hope so) but what I think the real issue is whether the driving off road by the concession holders is really to the detriment of Kruger as a whole or just the specific area. IMHO, it is the visual pollution. We all want to see a pristine environment and to see vehicle tracks going into the veld every couple of metres will not be to my liking.

Dear Rooies,

What I believe and I am not a South African remember, so it is not up to me, :roll: is the number of vehicles driving off road is very few, compared to the number of vehicles that drive on road and need the bush to be flattened and tarmacked or, roads driven through the bush and covered in gravel to do so.

If we want everything to be perfect, then there should be no roads or human development at all and that we know, would ultimately result in no Wilderness at all.

If a concession has say eight rooms and sixteen visitors in one go or perhaps a little more, perhaps two or three Land-Rovers per camp at any one time, how much impact do they really have, in comparison to the hundred thousand people who visit the Sanparks camps every month?

None of it is perfect. I am against big camps or hotels, because of the impact they have. But as long as the accommodation and number of visitors is small, then it is best that luxury concessions pay lots to visit and contribute US$.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Lesego! That answered my question. I was under the impression that it was not allowed at all in the concessions (just as is the case in the rest of KNP). If they are allowed this (as per the rules), then I have no problem with them advertising it. I do believe it was thoroughly investigated before the rules were laid down, and that the impact was esimated then to be minor. :thumbs_up:

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bushbuddies wrote:
True, I do realise Makuleke is not a concession, but during our visit there they actually never went off-road
That was then. They changed their policy. I have a copy of their off-road map, and I've been off road plenty off times in the Makuleke CNP.

Johan