Skip to Content

Sirheni Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Does Sirheni have a night drive?

Unread postby Jo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm

We stayed at Sirheni at the beginning of Aug and went on the sunset drive - it was great!
We saw honey badger, civet, Genet, African wild cat, side striped jackal in addition to ellie's, impala etc.

EricP

Sirheni is tops

Unread postby EricP » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:33 am

I hesitate to post a post without pictures yet but they will come on the weekend.
Meantime I wanted to say what a fantastic time we had staying at Sirheni bush camp last Tuesday and Wednesday.
Yes a whole two nights of serene bliss.

The Northern parts of the Kruger are my personal favourite.
Hardly any cars the wonderful stillness and hot sun baked earth.
This is the second time I've stayed at Sirheni the last a few years ago was a little more exciting weather wise as we had mammoth electric storms and heavy rains, quite dramatic.
This time the first rains had come just a few days before, already lush green beneath the taller blonde grasses of the dry.
But it was hot, very hot and no more rain fell while we were there.

I am always keen to find the local inhabitants of a camp when I arrive.
The resident skinks and snakes and nesting birds and the like.
My first was a tiny bat that had taken up under our roof, no more than a Ping-Pong ball covered in fluff.
At first I thought it was a giant spider when it shuffled suddenly crawling in the thatch with its skinny black boney wings, it ears hid in fur.
Then I looked below to see if there were any droppings and sure enough the table was covered in neat little fresh mouse like droppings, then I made out a nose and little round eyes.
Fantastic, no idea what kind of bat it was but it was delightful.
I quickly remove the table covered in droppings and gave it a wash, placing at a safe distance, thoughts of Ebola fresh in my memory.
Still I was delighted it shared our hut.

Our first night drive with Allen was fantastic, he is a very good guide the best we had in the park, quite, sincere, knowledgeable and friendly.
We spotted three snake species, a large sub-adult rock python a cobra and a rinkhals, a leopard, elephant, a few genets, a family of spotted hyaena cubs, three owl species, small cute (tiny big as cherry glass) pearl spotted, scopes and an eagle owl.
Then coming back we were surprised by baby crocs sprinting into the bush, this was something I never knew.
After the rains the tiny crocs leave the main body of water and take up in puddles along the road eating frogs and insects and other little things.

Next morning we looked into each puddle first thing and sure enough you could see the little triangular heads at the surface.

On our last day as we were leaving the area we spotted a single male lion beneath a tree, in his prime healthy and solid. A wonderful farewell.
Last edited by EricP on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Annaluisa

Re: Sirheni Bushveld Camp

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon May 18, 2009 11:36 am

Apparently No. 15 (which is a 4-sleeper - code C04D) is an excellent choice as regards the view.
You haven't mentioned how many are in your party, but I know this unit only has one bedroom (the other two beds are in the lounge).
I have also heard No.2 mentioned as being a very good one to stay in, but am not sure how many beds it has.

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Here's some pictures off Sirheni we made a few weeks ago.
We stayed in cottage number 2.

Reception..

cottage 2

birdhide
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Amedeus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Amedeus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:19 pm

This is a wonderful camp!!
We stayed there about a month ago and we had fantastic sightings!!
A leopard came down to the river at 9:30 in the morning and a group of elephants had a fantastic bath in front of us!!
We saw the big 5 although we saw the rhino and the lion close to Punda.
We had cottage no.7, the best cottage!

Amedeus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Amedeus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:26 pm

I have some photos of the leopard and also a couple of the ellies! Go check out my Travel tale: Watch out Sirheni!

Amedeus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Amedeus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:46 pm

If I'm honest I'm not quite so sure which CO4 is the best.
#8 is a bit closer to where the animals come to drink water (saw ellies in front of no.9) but unfortunately it's quite a bit away from no.7.
#11 was where we saw the leopard further in to the bush but then again the leopard came down at #7.
#13 is nice and close to the birdhide the hippos sound really close at night and this # would definitely be my choice for bird lovers.
But I must tell you Sirheni is wonderful you WILL NOT be disappointed whatever bungalow you get!

Annaluisa

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:08 pm

As far as I'm aware, there are only two C04 cottages - no. 4 and no. 15.
The latter is right at the end and has a wonderful view of the river.
We stayed at Sirheni recently and had booked no. 15, but there was a mix up and we ended up in no. 4 - as mentioned, all the cottages are great, but if you intend spending a lot of time in camp, I would definitely try to book no. 15.

Annaluisa

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 pm

My apologies, I meant to say there are only two CO4D cottages (with a double bed in one room), but there are five C04 cottages (4-sleepers) in total. I'm pretty sure the C04Ds are no. 4 and no. 15

Amedeus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Amedeus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:46 am

All have a nice view except no.9 but that is a six sleeper.

Annaluisa

Sirheni in September/October?

Unread postby Annaluisa » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 am

Hi all

We have stayed at Sirheni in the winter months, but are planning a trip to Kruger in late September/early October 2010 and I was wondering whether those of you who have stayed there around that time of year could let me know whether there is usually still some water in that beautiful river then? We hope to spend several days at Sirheni, but would possibly spend longer elsewhere if the river tends to be dry then. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

stu

Re: Sirheni in September/October?

Unread postby stu » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Annaluisa
had 4 nights at Sirheni 11th-14th Oct. river at camp was full, also on the molohongo loop the usual waterholes all had water in them despite the park being very dry so you should be ok :thumbs_up:

Daffy

Re: Sirheni in September/October?

Unread postby Daffy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi Annaluisa,

This year we spent some time in Sirheni in may and beginning october. There was plenty of water, also in october. I agree with Stu.

It's sure one of our favourite places to stay in Kruger. We stayed in nr. 15 ( the last one on the corner ). Excellent view and very quiet.

Enjoy

Peter

14-04-2010 --01-05-2010 LS and Satare and Shimuwini. Can't wait.
KNP 2013 januari/februari
19-21 Mopani
21-23 Punda Maria
23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

alf

Unread postby alf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:19 am

Wow is all I can say about this little camp.
Visited this camp recently for the first time and surely i will be back.
Had unit no 3 and 11 on my 2 visits during my 19 day roller coaster ride through KNP.
Thank you so much for the people who sponsored the visitors book in unit 3, I can't remember your names but what a wonderful idea.
In this book every visitor to unit 3 can make comments about the unit, cleaning lady or even sightings from the patio.
It's so interesting to read all these comments.
I wish every bushcamp can put a visitors book in every unit.

Also well done to the staff at Sirheni!!! :clap: .
You are doing a great job.
The staff from Shimuwini can learn so much from you.
We didn't see any animals from our patio but a resident leopard was spotted across the river an our before our arrival.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Kingfisha » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

I was trying to establish from this tread if there is still water in the Sirheni waterhole around end March? For 2009 there was no postings in that time period.

We are in Sirheni for 3 nights in the beginning of April (cannot wait :dance: ) and just wondered if there will still be some water.
Is there more water on the one side of the camp than the other ie on no.15 bungalow side or no 1 bungalow side?
Hope someone can help?

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”