SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Balule question
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone :D

I'm so excited. We will be staying in Balule for the very first time end of April.

I have a question that I hope you can answers for me. I read that you can check in at any camp but preferably at Satara or Olifants.

We will be traveling from Pretoria (via Phalaborwa gate) to Balule. We will need to do some quick shopping before entering. We want to experience AS MUCH as we can of Balule as it will be only one night there....so we were wondering. Is It possible to check in at Letaba in stead of Olifants? We will be driving past letaba and can go strait to Balule from there. Olifants (with the bridge closed) will take at least an hour more if we have to go check in there?

What do you advise? We will be leaving PTA at 6:00 and I hope to be in Balule at 16:00 the latest. Is this a realistic plan? We will be taking the highway to polokwane, and then via Tzannen - phalaborwa to Balule. (is there a shorter route maybe?)

Hope you can help us. It is unfortionally not possible to add one more day. This is already a day that we added because we did not think we will make it to our next stop - shingwedzi in one day from PTA.

Post subject: Re: Balule question
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:46 pm 

roaneric, as far as I know it is only Oliphants and Satara for the check in. Your route is definately the best one, as the alternative, via Lydenburg and Origstad, has gigantic potholes. It's 515 k's from my place, Sandton, to Phalaborwa gate, say 6 - 7 hours with your shopping, and about 2 - 3 hours to Oliphants, so I reckon you should be ok. The road via Polokwane and Tzaneen is very good and all the stop and go's are a thing of the past. Balule is a very nice camp and I am sure you will enjoy. Travel safe.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

We have just spent 4 nights there ... lovely even though it was 45C
You can easily drive to Letaba then drive the short trip up to Olifants book in and then take the river road ( saw quite a bit of game there) the bridge might even be completed by April as they were ever so busy with it while we were there . just had to put concrete over a small portion at the Balule end. so you might be lucky
Are you in Huts or camping We were in hut number 6 which is closest to the river If the road is not complete the lower road was choc full of game include lion

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Over Dec 2014, we stayed in hut number 6, right on the fence, it was more than amazing, on our last night a breeding herd of ellies were grazing along the fence, they were so close that we could smell them and see every detail of them, my hubby always says that this was our best ever elephant sighting ever :D :D

LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will not add any other advice to that that has been given already.

But be assured, you will want to come back to Balule again and again. It is just such a wonderful camp, by far one of our most favorite camps in Kruger. :mrgreen: The camp definitely gives one the feeling of what Kruger used to be many years ago.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:

One day closer to my next visit

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much for the advise everyone

Now I just CAN'T wait. :dance: :dance: :dance: We will check in at Olifants and then drive strait to Balule. Keep your thumbs crossed that the bridge will be open by the 28th of April. :pray:

Lepardfan wrote:
But be assured, you will want to come back to Balule again and again.

That's why I want to be there as early as possible and leave as late as possible the next morning so that we can experience everything Balule has to offer us.