Skip to Content

Orpen Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
GeorgeM13

Re: Orpen Camp

Unread postby GeorgeM13 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:16 am

Heading that way ourselves in October. Nice little camp with very little traffic noise to be heard around the huts, our neighbours and their very loud radio were much more of a problem last time we stayed.
During the night it's wildlife raking about the stoeps that can cause sleep interruptions.
Enjoy!!! :D

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Orpen Rest Camp

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Also staying at Orpen again this September. I can’t wait.

It still amazes me how peaceful the camp is given the fact that it is the gateway to central Kruger.
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Dave Long

Unread postby Dave Long » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Well our trip to Kruger is done and dusted just cannot wait to return which will probably be in the Winter months.
Many Thanks to the forum members who put my mind at rest regarding the traffic through Orpen.
The camp was an absolute delight and being small, swopping tales about sightings around the braai was so much easier. We also had a visit from the resident Honey Badger which was a great experience as I missed previous viewings at Satara. I am well aware that scavenging is frowned upon however these nocturnal visits sure give one an adrenalin rush.Game viewing was also so much easier around Orpen as once we moved to Satara the vegetation restricted sightings to mere glimpses of game especially the cats.However just being in the bush is an experience that brings great joy to all of us even if it is sans sightings to a large extent. My only source of concern was the benches dedicated to nature lovers as I could not help but notice that a large number of them were born in 1942 which is the year that I ventured forth into the world.
Once again thanks for the reassurances regarding Orpen, a camp that I would not hesitate
to recommend.

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby RosemaryH » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 pm

There is just something about Orpen - such a beautiful camp :D

Glad you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the area :thumbs_up:
Rose
Hurry - Such Fun Going On here

Please read the green gate permit you will receive on entry to the park and stick to the rules.

Dave Long

Unread postby Dave Long » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Could not have been better Rosemary, the one thing that puzzles me though is the plaque in Orpen Camp in commemoration of two Orpens.
One passed away in his forties and the other in his early twenties.
I have tried to google the history of the Orpens but all I could find was reference to Eileen and her husband both of whom passed away at a ripe old age.
Can you enlighten me regarding the plaque referred to above.

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby RosemaryH » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:50 pm

David Long here is some interesting history on The Orpen Family
Rose
Hurry - Such Fun Going On here

Please read the green gate permit you will receive on entry to the park and stick to the rules.

Dave Long

Unread postby Dave Long » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Rosemaryh , Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and I have read the historical data on the Orpen's, however the plaque at Orpen Camp seems to be dedicated to the next generation of Orpens.
I remember taking a photo of the plaque but I just cannot locate it for love or money.
Any further reading available?

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:02 pm

It's not going to be much help now, but at the Rabelais Hut Museum there is a whole feature on the Orpen family on the wall. Unfortunately I can't remember what it said :redface:
The GREAT 2015 Online Auction is here. Get your bids in soon, it won't be around for ever.

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 am

Dave Long wrote:The camp was an absolute delight and being small, swopping tales about sightings around the braai was so much easier.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your visit to Orpen Rest Camp :D . That little Kruger camp is a firm favourite of many :thumbs_up:
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”