Skip to Content

Orpen Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
FRUIT BAT

Unread postby FRUIT BAT » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi everyone, we stayed at Orpen in bungalow no. 6 in beginning of September [1st week] and it was fantastic. They were busy building the one next door to us. They are very mod and comfortable and that night we were treated to a great rhino sighting at the waterhole where the webcam is. We sat at the fence and watched as 3 rhinos came out of the darkness and stayed around the waterhole for at least 4 mins, wallowing in the mud and grazing. There is a resident honey badger who made it his business to raid the camp the whole night but we were so glad just to see him so close. We eventually put our garbage bin on top of the fridge with a chair in front of the fridge and in the middle of the night he jumped onto the chair and tried to pull the bin over again. Lots of fun! Orpen is a lovely camp and the pool is great as well. :D

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks FRUIT BAT! Stayed at Orpen for the first time earlier this year! Quite an charming little camp. Stayed in bungalow no 1, although about at the back of the shop, it's awesome renovated and love the big veranda. Loved sitting at the fench at looking at the water hole. Had also a encounter with a puff ader at our veranda after our braai :wink: It's a shame we could'nt get any reservation for december but will take a look, when we stay at Satara...

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm

I went into the shop at the end of Sept. just buying something to drink and altho I didn't stay too long it did seem to be fairly well stocked and I got the impression that it would have had most things the other shops in the smaller camps have. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Foxy
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Foxy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:43 pm

A colleague of mine spent Friday night at Orpen, she woke to quite a noise at about 01h30 only to find honeybadgers raiding their fridge - she pack everything up and went back to bed forgetting to put something heavy against the fridge door - again about4h30 she was again awakened by a noise and again the honeybadgers were raiding the fridge. They are obviously accustomed to raiding fridges if accessible.

Elsa

Re: Entry Gates from White River

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Paul12 wrote:I know that it is self catering but have any of you guys stayed at Orpen??

We have just recently stayed at Orpen and enjoyed our stay there, found it to be a really nice little camp.

You can have a look at some pics of them.

We got allocated chalets # 8 & 9, which are newly refurbished and quite delightful and are to be our "home" for the next 3 nights. :D

chirinda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: orpen camp

Unread postby chirinda » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 am

The beds are very comfortable at Orpen!!!!!!!!! We stayed in No 10 and I wanted to bring the bed home with me.

All of the drives start on the main Satara road, but there is lots of choice. Many people recommend the Timbavati road, but if you take the whole day out you could go as far as Letaba and back or even Skukuza and back, or just dawdle to Satara and around there.

Also staying in camp and watching the water hole is an option.

What you see is always being in the right place at the right time.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 am

I agree with Chirinda about the S39, the Timbavati road. It is one of my favourite roads. It covers so many eco zones.

I would also suggest going up to Satara and then doing the S100, another popular area. It would then be possible to "nip" over to the N'wanestsi picnic area. Its a lovely place to stretch your legs and get some beautiful views.

I would also recommend a meal at Tshokwane picnic site. I do think that they have the best selection of food, as well as the best presentation. I had a Kudu boerrie roll, but I saw their salads being served to a table next to mine and it looked simply scrummy. They also have a very refreshing homemade ginger beer at R5 a glass.

On my most recent trip there had been many Wilddog sightings. I had my own sighting close to Talamati. You should be able to keep track of recent sightings via the sightings board. Like Lion, they tend to stay put and sleep through the heat of the day. They start their greeting ritual in the very late afternoon. It is an experience of a life time. If you do see Wilddog, try to stick around until their ritual starts.

Good luck and have a stunning time :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Weltenman wrote:Anybody have an idea how the gravel road is like between Orpen and Timbavati?
I remember reading just recently that it had been graded and was lovely and smooth again. :D

When we stayed for 3 nights in Orpen last year, we often used to drive the Rabelais Loop, S106 in the late afternoon and then sit at the plains just outside camp till gate closing, there is always something interesting to see there,mainly the plains animals but great all the same.

Binkieloo

Re: Orpen Rest Camp

Unread postby Binkieloo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 pm

We just spent 4 nights at Maroela, and had some amazing sightings in the area. Within an hour and half one morning we saw Cheetah (with kill), Lion doing their thing, and Leopard (in a tree).

We also saw civet from camp and there's a rhino with a very small calf in the area that we saw on the sunset drive.

We're not good enough birders yet to let you know of any real "specials", but we did see a tawny eagle with a kill on the gravel roads near Talamati.

Enjoy the trip - this is definitely one of our favourite areas of the park so far. Next year a long trip to the North.
The B Squared - Bianca and Brian, and Kyle too!

Kruger trip with a 15 month old in tow BOOKED! :dance:
Camping: 24 - 30 Aug: Maroela
30 Aug - 5 Sep: Tsendze - our 1st time
5 Sep - 11 Sep: Balule - our fav
11 Sep - 12 Sep: Lower Sabie :D

BushKrazy

Unread postby BushKrazy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 am

Stayed at Orpen Rest Camp in June 2009 and was really impressed by the standard of the bungalows. It wasn't our first choice of Camp but in the end was SOOOO glad we got to stay there. Going in June this year but couldnt get into Orpen so staying at Tamboti. Hear it is a lot more secluded with a real bush experience.

As for th badgers, What an experience. After chatting with our neighbours about the days sightings we wish each goodnight and goo spotting for the next day. Not 5 mins later our neighbour started shouting. I heard 'RAT' (my Afrikaans is limited). Then growling. Thought rats don't sound like that :lol:
Turns out it was the Ratel (Badger). Turns out he tried to raid there kitchen whilst they were awake. What an experience to see it close up. He visited us later that night. We had turned our fridge but he still gained access to our coolerbox by giving it a push off the counter. Dont be deterred I would have it happen to us all over again. LOVE ORPEN NOW FOR TAMBOTI.

Note: Would post pics of the badger but am unsure how :hmz: ...please help)

kirsty

Unread postby kirsty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 pm

We stayed at Orpen a couple of weeks ago.
Our first time at the camp - hopefully not our last.
We found that our fridge had been raided on the first night - only the eggs and cheese had been taken though. There was meat in there that remained untouched.
We found the egg shells and the empty cheese packet lying under our car.
We decided to turn our fridge on the second night.
About 5 minutes after going to bed I heard a noise on the stoep.
My husband and I dashed out to find the honey badger on the kitchen worktop - he had climbed up by opening the drawers and using them as steps!!!!
I think he got more of a fright than us and ran off into the night.
We stayed on the stoep for a few minutes to check if anything had vanished, and he came strolling back onto the stoep, calm as you like, to see if we had anything else to give-away.
My mum screamed in fright - he didn't come back after that.
What an experience.
Kirsty
Too long to go till our next trip - March 2012.
Talamati and Lower Sabie here we come.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Grantmissy wrote:Bert, I think it was you who also mentioned somewhere on the forum that they now have a nice place where one can drink coffee.

Really, take aways? and food?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Wish I had taken more notice of it but yes, it was basically a little deck or area outside to the left of the shop, wooden tables and chairs under umbrellas as I recall and looked as if you could have coffee or perhaps something a bit stronger in the evenings, a bit like a beer garden. 8)
Really not sure if food was on offer as well. :?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 am

Grantmissy wrote:This time we will be staying in one the bigger guest cottages and I would like to ask whether it is worth it to ask for a specific one or do they all have equal/same view of the fence/waterhole?

We stayed in # 14 of the family cottages and it had a good view of the waterhole, I suspect # 15 would as well as that one is right next to the fence.

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Kingfisha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Grantmissy
Yes unit 15 will give you a better view on the waterhole because it is right next to the fence. No 14 is again next to 15. So if you can, try to get 15.

Elsa / Bush Baptist: The little table and chairs with umbrella is a small area where people can enjoy the coffee that the camp offers (I think free of charge if you book in) to the guests. I saw the small coffee station there (and cold water) where people were helping themselves. I did not notice that there was anything in the line of a take away or other services. It just seems like a complementary drink they offer.
The chairs and table are right next to the restaurant area and the view from there is unfortunately towards the garage.

Will be there again next week, I will check if that's what I think it is and let you know.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”