Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bateleur Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:59 am 

After spending three nights at this camp early November my only comment can be " over rated and badly maintained". Toilet ran continuously (so much for saving water) and the shower plumbing created a dangerous situation. Definitely not my favourite camp. (We were in 2).

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We have not visited the remote Bateleur Bushveld Camp recently. During our past visits to Bateleur we found a well maintained Camp allowing us to experience a good stay in a tranquil environment.

Feedback from some of the recent visitors to Bateleur is less favorable like:

" over rated and badly maintained".

I hope that Kruger Management will attend to any service related or maintenance problems that may exist.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 pm 

I will stay in Bateleur on the next 28 november,so i will give my three cents here after my return from the park :)

The price for a night is very high,so i reserved only for one night. This year the change euro/rand is very interesting for europeans,so this helps a little.

After i will stay two nights at Sirheni,so i will compare.

Hope the hide at Bateleur will be nice and easely accessible;this was not really the case when we staid in Biyamiti in 2010 in summer,the herbs were so so high we didn't give him a try,too afraid to walk on a snake :(

Seeing these negative advice i was thinking i perharps could change at the last moment my night at Bateleur for a night at Shimuwini,but Shimuwini seems full on the 28.

So i will have to make my personnal idea about Bateleur,but one thing is sure,comparing to other camps,the prices are very high.
I go there for the birds and hope to see a good number in the area

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Anne Catherine,

I am more than sure that the birds will be good to you at Bateleur :dance: as they were to us when we stayed there. Please make your own opinion as this camp is simply amazing.

Maybe compared to other camps the accommodation rate is far higher but the bungalows are huge and you do have a giant verandah and normally not much people around at least when we do stay there so silence and privacy is granted.

Please tell us all about your stay there after you have returned - I will hold my thumbs for some incredible sightings during your whole stay :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Anne Catherine I wish you a good and safe Kruger trip and that you will see many birds during your stay at Bateleur Bushveld Camp.

I fully agree with Pumbaa on the following:

Pumbaa wrote:
this camp is simply amazing.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm 

The thing about the bush camps is that they are all unique. If you go to Bateleur thinking you are going to get Biyamiti in the north then yes, you will be disappointed.

But if you go there expecting Bateleur then that is what you get. It's possible the remotest place I have ever been in Kruger. But the remoteness, the peace and quiet and the bird life are all amazing.

I can't comment on the upkeep as I haven't been there for a few years, but when we went the staff were fabulous and the units, while old, where clean and well maintained.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 pm 

Thanks Pumbaa and Grantmissy for your best wishes :D

Yes Pumbaa,better to make your own opinion,if i see a lot of birds there i will anyway be happy.
I have never been at Bateleur but have already drove the R52 several time,when we were staying at Shingwezi :D
And for the price,yes it's not given,the bush camps are not for lonely people :(
The boys are too old now to come with me :wink:

Pumbaa and Grantmissy,I will report when i will be back,the plane is for tomorrow :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Anne Catherine

Just to reply to your concern on walking to the hide. I do not think that you will have a problem. It’s a wide path to the hide, the bushes you will walk passed are thick, but due to the path being so wide, you can avoid them quite comfortably. (Please note, there are 2 routes to the hide, one along the fences which even in the dry months was very overgrown with bush and trees, the other via the “main road” in the camp which goes passed the conference centre. This is the one you should take)

We were there in September, and there are 2 waterholes at the hide, the one is very very close to the hide, and it is the one that seems to be more popular with birds. So if you are going for the birds, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

As for upkeep, I can only comment on our unit which was number 3. Everything was ok, new furniture on veranda, bathrooms do look a little tired, but we had no problems at all.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:06 pm 

Dear Leaping Lizards,

Nice to see you had a nice stay last september at Bateleur :D

Thaks for your advices,i will take "the main road"as you say to go to the hide.

As i will come from Letaba,i should have the whole afternoon to spend there :D

Hope the waterbirds will be there,i will have a look also after the bush birds :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:20 pm 

Sitting on our veranda last visit we were well entertained by the antics of all the little tree squirrels, running around, playing and unfortunately begging! :roll:
but we did enjoy our stay here and I recall the camp manager went around to every chalet each night to enquire whether everything was OK, such a nice touch. 8)
We also spent a good few hours in the hide and just enjoyed watching the birds coming down to drink.
Had a Verreaux's Eagle Owl sitting in the tree opposite.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oh, aahm, dear. I was so tired, I wrote that as if it were an email, and reading it back now it looks very patronising. I do apologise if it was taken that way, it was not my intention.

About Wildlife in camp, after many years in various Sanparks camp, that 1 night was the first time we saw Scrub Hares in camp. A bit freaky as they come very close. Yes they are just bunnies, but imagine our surprise when you minding your own business when suddenly this thing just appears out of the total darkness.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Leaping Lizards wrote:
but imagine our surprise when you minding your own business when suddenly this thing just appears out of the total darkness.
:)

Yes, Leaping Lizards they can give a person minding their own business in the quiet of night a good scare
% :| :shock: $*#& :evil: !!! :lol:

It is good to read about the adventures and the good experiences at Bateleur Bushveld Camp 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 am 

Eagle owl was still in the tree opposite and calling. Please if you are in unit 2 take extreme care. The cold water in the shower disappears suddenly (suspect faulty washer/tap) and you are subjected to a burst of boiling water that will scold you. My wife was burnt quite badly.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:31 am 

Greg, did you report it at the office and also fill in an official feedback form?

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:04 pm 

Yes I did as requested Elsa. But I believe that anyone using unit 2 should be aware in case it has not bee attended to as yet. A sudden burst of boiling hot water is no joke. Beside the burn the danger of falling or slipping when trying to evade the burst of hot water is a real one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next