Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Talamati Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:30 pm 

My family and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Talamati Bush Camp over a few days in the week of 22/06/2009.
The camp has a great hide overlooking a water hole just outside the camp perimeter.
Unfortunately the view of the water hole is significantly obstructed by the growth around it, which if managed reasonably, will provide spectacular viewing both day and night to patrons.

Another serious concern for us was the poor road conditions around the camp, which was the reason for us moving to another camp at the expense of losing accommodation monies paid in advance.
The “corrugations” on the roads are seriously bad.
We did understand though that grading of the roads can only be done when it rains or when the roads have been wet.
We did note that an experiment/project is currently underway to improve the road conditions, albeit for a very short distance.
It would be great if consideration could be given to extending the experiment effort to more of the roads around the camp or wetting the roads with water trucks for grading.

Post subject: Re: Talamati Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:38 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I am about to book our next year's stay in Kruger :dance: :dance: :dance:

Did someone already stayed in GC6D the one with no verandah - I guess it must be unit No. 13 at Talamati???

The normal GC6 units with the verandah are known to me and great but according to the pictures under the camp this one is looking very cosy but without verandah :big_eyes:

Thanks for your help here. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:55 pm 

Hi Pumbaa,
You are correct, it is Hut 13.
I have stayed there.
The unit's lay-out is totally different from the others.
There are two big bedrooms, both en-suite.
The kitchen area also does not have a dining table and I found it lacks space for all the kitchen goodies visitors bring along.
There is no verandah like the other huts have.
Gravel and a bit of paving was laid in front of the sliding door where a small outside table and chairs are placed.
There are two couch-beds in the kitchen area that accommodates persons 5 and 6 (limited space - and they must make use of bathroom in one of the bedrooms).
If you are more than 4 people I would suggest you try to book another hut.
Hut 13's spacious bedrooms have taken up a lot of the kitchen/entertainment-area space.
Nevertheless, enjoy Talamati!!

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Post subject: Re: Talamati Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We stayed at Talamati in early June of this year.
The road past the camp did not, at the time, strike us as being in a seriously poor condition although parts of the S36 were pretty corrugated.
The camp is lovely - peaceful, very well-run and well-maintained and everywhere is spotless.
Unfortunately the growth round the waterhole has become seriously thick and high since I was last there in 2000 and the view from the hide is much impeded.
However I believe it is policy not to clear any view site.
We also noticed a very ugly screen near the office, obviously vintage, which is there for the purpose of hiding various rubbish containers and so on.
It is torn so it doesn't do its job well, and because it is so incongruous in such an otherwise well-maintained camp, it does draw the eye somewhat.
I would have thought that some kind of split pole or slat fencing would have looked much better and lasted much longer!
Talamati struck me as a well-managed camp which deserves the title of 'Bushcamp of the Year' which it has apparently won for the last five years.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:17 pm 

Hi Pumbaa.

There is no awning outside Hut 13 but Talamati is abounding in trees. Thererfore ample shade during the day. I have always seen the visitors to Hut 13 enjoy the evening out - but you may prefer inside with the fans on in Feb. :)

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:45 am 

I have just returned from Kruger and we were told that the road past Talamati was not at all bad. We decided to drive past and have a look see. The road is absolutely fine so don't let that be a deterent any longer.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:47 pm 

Hi everyone,

We were there at the beginning of July and the roads were fine.

I would please like to know if any one has seen sable at the waterhole at the camp? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:23 pm 

We will be going to Talamati this weekend, I think we will be in nr.13, I will post a couple of pics next week for more info.

Have anyone driven from Talamati to Skukuza?
We are staying in Talamati on Friday 21/08/2009 and Skukuza on 22/08/2009, :D
My question is: will it be better to return back to the tar road and then drive to Satara and then to Skukuza or is the gravel roads better.
My initial idea was to use the gravel roads and only join the tar road just before Tshokwane which I think is the S34 or S125 or the road in between but I don't know the park that well, yet.
I am more interested in good sightings than a "comfortable" drive on the tar road.
If anyone have any experience, info or road nr. it would be of great help.
I don't think the time would be of a concern, but more info on this would also be great.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:56 pm 

Hi Geelwortel,
I would suggest you take the S125 along the N'saswitsontso.
It is a quiet road with beautiful scenery!
Yes, I also have seen lion there more than not.
The other option is the S34 that leads to Tshokwane, but the S36 past the Lugmagdam is very badly corrugated.
Either way, better than the traffic on the N1 (tar road).
Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I would definitely do the gravel! The S36 (Nhlanguleni road) has been very friendly to me in the past.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Talamati Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:18 pm 

Here are some pics we took on our visit to Talamati last month. This is a lovely camp, so peaceful and private, with lots of game in the surrounding area.

A real bonus are the two bird hides in the camp, one which overlooks a busy waterhole.

Sunrise over the camp

The lapa

The birdhide

Waterhole outside camp

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Talamati
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stayed at Talamati in August and must say I found it a fantastic place.
It's composed of 15 units, all very spacious, well furnished and containing all the necessary for cooking and sleeping.
Of all the camps in KNP I found Talamati to be the most spacious and well kept of the lot.
There is only a small reception area with public telephone and cell phone reception can be a problem.
You will have to bring all the necessary, including fire wood, food with you.

There is a lookout close to the entrance and there is always very good game viewing from there.
If you love secluded places then Talamati is the right one for you.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 pm 

I think you will love the camp very peaceful, would recommend you spend some time in the hide that overlooks the waterhole near the entrance to the camp.
seen plenty of animals from there including lions coming down for a drink also saw python taking an Egyptian goose.
keep a look out for the big Sable herd that frequents the area also wild dog up near Muzandzeni picnic site.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In a nutshell, our favourite bushcamp (and overall camp) in the central and southern region.
Birding wise not that spectacular (for us) but animal wise you couldn't get better.
We saw the big five on various occasions around the camp.
As mentioned, sable are also frequent visitors.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just had look at the services at Talamati and they do have bush walks and game drives. If have a look, on the left!, under activities and facilities -Talamati you'll find all their services.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next