Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: S28 or S100
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:07 am 

I have driven the S100 many times, not as many times as most on these forums, but enough. Of the many drives up and down the S100, I can count 2 Leopard sightings, so so lion sightings and some truly magnificent Waterbuck sightings and interactions.

My question, how does it compare to the S28? What are the differences if any? And, why do you have preferences between the 2?

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Post subject: Re: S28 or S100
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20 am 

S28 - I've had lion, cheetah and leopard sightings on the S28 but "only" lion sightings on the S100, and even then it was us who were on the S100 and the lions were on the S41. :lol: But give me a drive along the S100 any time over the S28. I just love driving along the road, regardless of any sightings. To me it is Africa in one road. It brings me peace and a deep inner contentment that I don't get on the S28. I can't explain it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The S100 is a lovely road and I often like to Park in the riverine areas and just chill.

I am however a S28 fan. I have found it quieter and enjoy the open savannah areas.

Both roads are absolute treasures and even if nothing of the big five are seen, they are pure Africa.

I have had some good Lion sightings on the S100. I have had Cheetah, Lion and Wild dog on the S28. I also had an excellent sighting of Duke on the S28 turn off.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Both roads were good to us this past December.
I would say the S100 was better for predators. And some huge bufallo herds.
And also plenty of Waterbuck

Had some good general game sightings along the S28, as well as some big Ele bulls.

The S28 was more productive then the H4-2 which runs parallel from Croc Bridge to LS. The bush along the tar road is very thick making sightings difficult.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
We were also out on both roads last Nov/Dec - not usually very lucky on the S100 but we had fantastic Cheetah and Lions on the S100 on our trip. The S28 was fairly quiet but we have seen a lot on it in the past. Our luckiest road has always been the S25 but we always travel with the attitude that we will enjoy everything we see, big or small. Also noticed more 'speeders' on the S28 recently- perhaps because it is close to CB Gate?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
saraf on the S100 - It brings me peace and a deep inner contentment that I don't get on the S28. I can't explain it.

Oddly enough of all the winding roads the wind blew me on, I experienced the most peace on the S100. The S100 has always been kind to me with lovely sightings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:38 pm 

I don't really have a preference between the 2, but my favourite lion sighting was on the S28. For about 2km we were the only vehicle driving along 2 male lions. As soon as we got "far" behind, they would turnaround as if they are calling ua. As soon as I started crawling forward, they would start walking again.

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :(

Ah well on to the next planning phase.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Both roads are exceptional...Although generally speaking I have seen more cheetah along the s28 than on the s100. That said both are beautiful, although I prefer the quiet roads up north :) Sightings along the s28 can be far from the road, so the experience itself might be less exciting.

I prefer the s100 still, because it follows the river of quite a distance, and the meandering road makes it a little scary, you never know what's around the next corner. Once we met a huge serval (thought it was a mini leopard at first!) and the feeling of excitement is thrilling.

That said, drive any road in Kruger without expetations, and they seem to be more special!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 am 

Wow. I am quite surprised by some of the comments here. We are notoriously territorial when it comes to Kruger. We have never been further south than Lower Sabie (except for driving out Malelane Gate from Skukuza) and never further North than Mopani (this all changes this year I am glad to say) so have never driven the S28.

After all the good things I have heard about the S28, I thought it would be a good question to ask.

I am surprised by the fact that a few people find more peace on the very busy S100. But, when I thought about it, the first 10kms from the Gudzani side is always quiet, peaceful and has the most amazing places to pull over and observe the river/riverbed, so after some thought, Isee what you are saying.

Mods, can you please move this thread to “Camps and Roads” I see that I have posted it on the wrong board.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

S28 has given us good sightings, Lion, Cheetahs and Elles but S100 has been a show stopper for us, in fact maybe the best viewing in Kruger.

The Mega pride nursery, twenty one Lion cubs and four females
The Cheetah mom with five cubs and the Four Amigo's Cheetah coalition
Elle herd of 42 abreast, proceeding directly east on S100
Mrs Leopard and her two cubs
The nine female Lion pride in ambush, northwest of Nsasane water hole
Twenty seven strutting Ostriches near the Shibotwana water hole

Yes, S100 has been good to us. I agree with saraf and MM in that S100 feels like Africa at it's finest to us. :hands:

Can't wait until our return in October

Letaba Nov 10-14,
Oliphants Nov 14-18,
Satara Nov 18-26,
Lower Sabi Nov 26- 1 Dec,
Crocodile Bridge Dec 01-03

Last edited by ekoppen on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm a die-hard S100 fan! We've had amazing sightings here before. Beautiful lion sightings and one of the most enjoyable cheetah sightings. Waterbuck, huge herds of impala, buffalo, waterbirds and raptors - you name it! Beautiful scenery, and even all the dust at sunset as everyone is heading back to camp produces some beautiful colours and scenes.

The S28 has been one of "those roads" to us. Everybody always sees cheetahs and lions on it - well, not us. But then again, you get those people who never see anything on the S100, and love the S28. Just glad to see my favourite road is winning so far on this one... :tongue:

26-29 June - Shingwedzi