Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tshokwane Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I did not mean to discourage people from any picnic spot in particular , more a case of litter being the norm where people have been .
(I clarified my statement on the "What is it like to live in Kruger" thread and edited my post above)

Glad to hear that an such an effort is made to clean up after the public , certainly not possible in most camps , and certainly did not happen at Afsaal picnic site when I was there in Sept 2007 & 2008 , which I complained about on the forum in 2007 and again in 2008 and which was again complained about subsequently on the forum by someone else .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:45 pm 

There I have to agree with you ndloti!
The guys at Afsaal can learn a thing or two from the staff at Tshokwane.

A huge difference between the two picnic sites.

(But isn't Afsaal run and managed by a private concern?)

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thx norms...and no offence taken ndloti...I knew what you meant...just had to clarify.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

norms wrote:
There I have to agree with you ndloti!
The guys at Afsaal can learn a thing or two from the staff at Tshokwane.

A huge difference between the two picnic sites.

(But isn't Afsaal run and managed by a private concern?)

Hear, hear!!! :clap: :dance: :D :lol: :thumbs_up:
Its run by Tigers Eye who runs all the shops

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 pm 

guepard .... Are you on leave? Have not heard what is happening at Tshokwane recently.

Don't keep us waiting please! :whistle: :whistle:

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:17 am 

In May 2009 while my SO rinsed the tea cups at Tshokwane, 4 wild dogs came within about 5 meters of her, turned around and ran off into the river bed. A rare treat for the one who washes the dishes. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wildtom wrote:
In May 2009 while my SO rinsed the tea cups at Tshokwane, 4 wild dogs came within about 5 meters of her, turned around and ran off into the river bed. A rare treat for the one who washes the dishes. :mrgreen:

Wildtom, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Next time am going to make sure I go with to supervise SO washing dishes just in case I miss out. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Wildtom wrote:
In May 2009 while my SO rinsed the tea cups at Tshokwane, 4 wild dogs came within about 5 meters of her, turned around and ran off into the river bed.

I suppose we can't all marry a hot chick :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:20 pm 

:funny:
Hahahahaha.
hilarious

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 pm 

Wildtom wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: What kind of perfume did she ware. I Will spray my SO with it all over her body, if it means I have a chance of seeing wild dogs. :clap: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:49 pm 

During my recent stay, at least 8 days out of 10 this was my first stop in the early morning from LS. I was the first person there and was always welcomed with a friendly greeting and hot coffee. This spot is a favourite of mine since childhood days long before the shop and its tantalizing food. But it has lost none of its charm. It is still open to the wild and I often saw 3 of the big 5 grazing on its fence line. Yes it does get busy but the staff cope beautifully. I met a couple who complained bitterly that there was no water and the toilets were consequently overflowing, the next day I enquired and an elephant had broken a pipe carrying water to them. This to me was charming not a reason to get so upset. At least it wasnt hungry people desperate enough to dig up pipes to sell for money for food.
To the wonderful people at Tshokwane, your coffee and toasted egg and bacon were fabulous and your smiles and greetings a great way to start my day. Thank you.

A redhead in a silver Colt.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

wacktazz wrote:
Bush Baptist wrote:
Also old Eric used to do it at Nkuhlu a few years ago.
Anyone know what happened to him? I think he retired.

He actually got bit by a moz cobra. He is still alive, but He is not the same anymore. The poor fellows' brain got affected by it and he had to retire early

:( Sad story. I feel for this guy.

I like any animal visiting anytime, anywhere... spoiled, opportunistic, whatever. Ok, as long as it doesn't literally attack, or try to get onto my seat like recently (big, male baboon), that is. Recalling that a few years ago, we left buns on the stoep at Satara by mistake. On our arrival from our afternoon drive, our dear neighbour, an elderly man, informed us that he has saved our buns from scavenging birds. He formally handed over the bag of 'what used to buns' - they all looked like doughnuts - all of them had beautiful round holes in the middle. :lol: :lol: Needless to say, we rushed over to the restaurant to stock up on our buns again.

:clap: :clap: to all those employees that are doing their best to clean up after us. (I suppose cleaning up after the animals comes with the territory?).

BB, that hot chick of yours... :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: Now I wonder if 'Red Door' will open doors for me concerning wild dogs at picnic spots...

Hubby's never going to do the dishes on his own, ever again! I shall not tolerate it! :twisted: Like Robert T I shall accompany him to supervise and multi-task. To complain about a spot that he has missed here-and-there, and to simultaneously look around for awesome sightings. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
All I have ever seen at Tshok, is a big bull ele disappearing down the side road there Elzet, and once a big buff 'pat' in amongt the tables & chairs, probably a night visitor.

Red Door??

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi BB, I suppose that 'pat' made you not-so-hungry for a hamburger patty? ha-ha-ho-hee. A baboon awaited me once at the ablutions' door - one early 'morn. But he got a far greater skrik than me - I'm not a sight for sore eyes early 'morn, that is! :lol: :roll:

Red Door? Perfume. Sure 'kill'! :lol: :roll: :wink: :lol: You should ask Mrs B to give it a try... :lol: :twisted: And then we want a full TR in injury time of a different nature... :redface: :twisted:

PS. I'll rather be sweeping the whole of Tshokwane right now than hit off to work... :tongue: Or rather, I'll pay the sweeper and stand next to Guepard at that awesome fire. (But he slept late this 'morn, only saw him now lurking at the GGGG-thread...) :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Guepard

On the GGGG-thread you mentioned you had to chase away a lone, elephant bull this morn'... Apart from the 'chase-away-recipe', any pics? :roll: :wink: :lol: (Yours is always welcomed, but I'm referring to the fleeing elephant...) :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next