SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tshokwane Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
:thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lovely pictures o-dog :thumbs_up:

Many of us who go frequently get very blaise about the variety of birds there. One year I arrived and there was a man from France in a state of such excitement over the beautiful Glossy Starlings. He spent ages trying to get as much as he could on video. It was great for me to experience the birds through his eyes.

One year when I was there in October with my daughter, she had her meal interrupted by a Crested Barbet that did not want to wait for her to finish her meal first. It kept jumping from the back of her chair onto the table, as if to say, "hurry up, hurry up".

Tshokwane has a special place in my heart.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

o-dog
I agree with most of what you say...even the monkeys and the birds would not bother me if the monkeys did not attack ppl while seated.(only 3 times in past year fortunately)
The birds eating all the crumbs and lefteovers I can also handle.(although they leave the table in a state) They are beautiful after all and part and parcel of Tshokwane.
There is a difference between feeding them and them being around to profit from our activities though.
Now if you argue that it is harmless to feed the birds I suppose then it is also harmless to feed other animals :hmz:
I do not wish the last word like sum ppl on the forum :wall: , as your heart is obviously in the right place about issues :thumbs_up:
To your question: The monkeys is not a "problem", they raid the bar area now and then when our guard is down and they operate mostly on the perimeter of the site as we are constantly chasing them with catapults.
To be honest humans are my problem here! Some are very quick to complain and arrive here with their day already sour and you have to handle them with care.
Since my tact is legendary as my SO always reminds me :redface: , I prefer handling the monkey problem.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 am 

Micetta wrote:
Catapults for monkeys :huh:

Not quite as bad as it sounds Micetta - they usually see the catapult and flee. If not a well aimed shot to the ground near them usually does the trick. If they are allowed to get too aggressive and start to attack people, then they have to be shot for real. A catapult is a better option all round.

I dropped my guard at a picnic site once and a monkey tried to grab my brown bag with rusks in it. I got a real fright, it wasn't pleasant. They do become a real nuisance.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Maybe you should also use the catapult on some ppl, guepard.

Oops, sorry I was aiming for the monkey :twisted:

Excellent idea! :twisted:

Thank you Saraf! :)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Also old Eric used to do it at Nkuhlu a few years ago.
Anyone know what happened to him? I think he retired.

He actually got bit by a moz cobra. He is still alive, but He is not the same anymore. The poor fellows' brain got affected by it and he had to retire early

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
And yes Ndloti if the catapult stops being effective then they have to be shot for real by the field rangers.

Perhaps by publicising the truth irrespective of the outcry it will help the cause ....the truth is a bit harder to swallow , perhaps the message will be spread as a result of this .....

I have seen the staff (not at Tshokwane - I seldom go there , I can't tolerate the littering and crowds etc at picnic sites) having to shoot monkeys with the intention of killing them (quite possible with a heavy duty catapult) , which regularly takes place out of sight of the public , or with a firearm once visitors return to the restcamps in the late afternoon .
It is quite pitifull to see adead or injured monkey or baboon , but the truth is if they are left for people to see it will produce the required results and stop people feeding them .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ndloti my dear friend....it is obvious you stay away from Tshokwane for the wrong reasons. Tshokwane is prob the cleanest site in the whole of KNP!
I notice the smallest sigaret end BECAUSE it is so clean. It is also one of the most peaceful sites early in the morning because of the size of the terrain.
I would hate people to think that Tshokwane is full of litter after reading your post.
:sniper:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wildtom wrote:
In May 2009 while my SO rinsed the tea cups at Tshokwane, 4 wild dogs came within about 5 meters of her, turned around and ran off into the river bed. A rare treat for the one who washes the dishes. :mrgreen:

Wildtom, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Next time am going to make sure I go with to supervise SO washing dishes just in case I miss out. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:49 pm 

During my recent stay, at least 8 days out of 10 this was my first stop in the early morning from LS. I was the first person there and was always welcomed with a friendly greeting and hot coffee. This spot is a favourite of mine since childhood days long before the shop and its tantalizing food. But it has lost none of its charm. It is still open to the wild and I often saw 3 of the big 5 grazing on its fence line. Yes it does get busy but the staff cope beautifully. I met a couple who complained bitterly that there was no water and the toilets were consequently overflowing, the next day I enquired and an elephant had broken a pipe carrying water to them. This to me was charming not a reason to get so upset. At least it wasnt hungry people desperate enough to dig up pipes to sell for money for food.
To the wonderful people at Tshokwane, your coffee and toasted egg and bacon were fabulous and your smiles and greetings a great way to start my day. Thank you.

A redhead in a silver Colt.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
All I have ever seen at Tshok, is a big bull ele disappearing down the side road there Elzet, and once a big buff 'pat' in amongt the tables & chairs, probably a night visitor.

Red Door??

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ah bornfree ...thanks for the kind words. I miss that redhead in the colt now!
Your point about that dreadful day when Tshokwane had NO water supply for a whole day brings me to a couple of points about places like Tshokwane.
Firstly running water, electricity, water treatment,refrigeration to mention a few comes at a premium here.
Running water gets pumped from 5km out and if there is a burst pipe or something similar , we do not have a plumber or maintenance guy on site like other camps do. You make a plan and beg others to come and help.
Electricity is generator powered and it costs a fortune. Telecoms is also never sure as it is via satelite and the mast solar driven.
So sometimes we do not have electricity, or credit card facilities or ice and we sometime run out of stock on certain items. People do not seem to have understanding for our set of circumstances and complain and write letters very quickly to complain.
Our hot water urn packs up very often due to the limestone in the water.
We have made a plan to boil water in a big pot on a gas stand behind the kitchen where we dish water from. One fancy lady thought it to be unacceptable and consequently had her husband write a letter of complaint to SANParks.
Keeping Tshokwane clean, preserving the feel of yester year and a sence of place while still providing all that customers expect is a hard act to follow.
I know that the people who are on this forum are probably understanding and more tolerant than others ...but I thought I would just mention it again.
This brings me to another point. Our menu and fare. I have decided a while ago to take the deep fryer out and to stop hamburgers, chips etc altogether.
I have upset a few already, I know, but I am sure they will be able to live with it. An elderly lady called me out of the office the other day and aggressively asked me why did I stop to make chips.
Explaining to her that the process of frying oil and grilling inside the shop made the shop dirty and smelly was not good enough. Showing her our menu with health rolls, bobotie, homemade venison pie, thai chicken curry, quiches etc still did not work. In the end I told her that she can drive to Skukuza, Lower Sabie or Satara and they will be happy to serve her chips. This upset her even more.(my legendary tact again!)
So be warned if you travel here and expected chips and a burger...we do not have them.
Oh and lastly...we do have a very fancy cappuccino ,espresso, ristretto,latte mmacchiato machine at the bar now. We also press fresh orange juice there.(winter months)
Et voila...enough for now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:45 am 

Guepard you get people that will expect all the luxury items they have at home to be everywhere they go, even in the middle of the bush. All you can do with them is to laugh!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Guepard with all those wonderful things on your menu I will definetly not need a humburger or chips (that greasy smells does not do it for me) And all that hot oil will allways be a fire hazard.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:49 pm 

Reading along with interest as we will be staying at nearby Satara in November. I'm amazed to hear that the picnic spots have food for sale let alone fancy coffee drinks like epresso!

Do all of the picnic spots in Kruger have similar amenities as Tshokwane?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next