Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Have been to Biyamiti & Talamati, both worth it, but everyone has different favourites, so you will be none the wiser I am afraid. Tamboti rocks, we stay there every time we go to Kruger.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 pm 

Hi - only been to Talamati, Biyamiti and Shimuwini - all three wonderful. Shimuwini is probably the prettiest camp in the park, however, aside the hippo that are VERY close, we never saw much other game in the area. Talamati and Biyamiti are fantastic, and I have it on pretty good authority that Tamboti is one of the best!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bateleur
Sirheni
(Above 2 are a CLOSE MATCH)
Mbyamiti
Not actually classified as bushveld camps according to KNP :
Tsendze
Balule
Tamboti

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 am 

Thanks for your input mmouse, much appreciated. I will open new topic re status quo of Talamati and the roads in the area. Hope that the sand fleas have fled the scene...

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Post subject: Re: Best bushveld camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have been to all the bushveld camps :D
I will summarize them:
Sirheni - lovely accommodation, peaceful, some units have good view on the dry river bed. Lots of game. Nightsounds are great. I agree, its in the north, my favourite part of the park.

Bateleur: One of my favourites! Also the smallest bushveld camp and I think, the oldest. The units are far apart and were upgraded a while ago. Aircon in the main rooms. You do not really have a view on a river/dam, but a lovely area of the camp infront of the units which is great for birding. Lots of game around the camp - birdlife is the best. It has a nice boma and birdhide. I love this camp!

Shimuwini - I agree, must be one of the most beautiful camps! The units are good, the rolling lawn and the dam infront of the camp is wonderful. No aircon, only solar power. I have seen lots of game from this camp including huge herds of ellies and leopard. Very quiet and peaceful.

Tamboti - not really a bushveld camp. But the tented units with bathroom are great. It is small and the tents are very private and isolated. You feel a bit 'lonely' there sometimes. The braai and kitchenette is on a small platform infront of the tent. Not all units have a good view, but it is very quiet and this camp is totally different from the others, with lots of bush, big trees etc.
(no 'gardens')

Talamati - The game viewing is great here. Once experienced a herd of about 800 buffaloes at the waterhole. The camp is more 'open', but the accommodation is great and the camp is very peaceful. I thought that there was not a lot of privacy between the units though. Also good birdlife.

Biyamiti - This is a great camp, were there quite a while ago. It has a lovely view and is also, as all other bushveld camps, very peaceful. I am not sure if the units have been ungraded since I have been there.

I will choose Talamati, Shimuwini and Bateleur
ENJOY!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Talamati - The atmosphere, that typical Kruger views and the overall peacefulness are great.
Bateleur - A person cannot help but feel you are in a very remote and special place in Kruger.
Shimuwini - The view, the unpredictability and slow pace of what you may see in the Letaba River in front of the Camp makes it also a favourite with us.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:00 pm 

My fav has got to be Sirheni! BTW they have won the award for the best bush camp in KNP for the last couple of years in succession.
I like Shimulwini and Talamati and Tamboti...but I would choose one in the North one central and one in the South so my choices would be...
Sirheni
Talamati
Biyamiti.
I don't think it matter where you go...but be warned once you have been you will find it tough to go back to the BIG camps :big_eyes:
J

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was excited about the bushcamps when I first heard about them but wish they were more rustic .

Bateleur still gets my vote due to its smaller size .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am 

ndloti wrote:
I was excited about the bushcamps when I first heard about them but wish they were more rustic .

Bateleur still gets my vote due to its smaller size .

Despite the Air con and TV?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
ndloti wrote:
IBateleur still gets my vote due to its smaller size .

It was with dismay that I noticed in 2000 that TV's had been installed in certain units , apparently for a certain VIP party .

Airconditioners ?

I doubt if there is sufficient capacity in the solar electricity system to drive them - or has power been provided - I hope not ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would definetely go to Sirheni. Was there last November and we had the camp nearly to our own :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:57 pm 

ndloti wrote:
saraf wrote:
ndloti wrote:
IBateleur still gets my vote due to its smaller size .

It was with dismay that I noticed in 2000 that TV's had been installed in certain units , apparently for a certain VIP party .

Airconditioners ?

I doubt if there is sufficient capacity in the solar electricity system to drive them - or has power been provided - I hope not ?

Sorry Ndloti
Quote:
3 x 6-bed cottages and 4 x 4-bed cottages, all fully equipped.

Many of the bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms and each bedroom is either air-conditioned or has a ceiling fan. Kitchens are fully equipped and have microwave ovens.

All accommodation units are serviced daily and supplied with bedding, towels and soap. Each unit has its own braai (barbecue) facilities and wood can be bought from the mini shop at reception.

Each unit has its own electricity points and TVs with SABC 1, 2, 3 and e-TV channels.
Bateleur Bushveld Camp is the best equipped of the bushveld camps in the Kruger National Park and is suited for those guests that are looking for a luxury bushveld experience.

From the Accommodation page for Bateleur.

Actually the aircon is ancient, looks like its been there from the start.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If I ever land up there again I will sleep on the viewing deck (weather permitting) where one will hopefully not hear airconditioners .

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ndloti,
I have found the aircons are not heard if you are in the right unit. If you have another unit to the side/front of you, the aircons do make a noise. But the units that are more 'secluded' are great.
Aircons can be a pain, but a relief when it's 42 deg out there! :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That eliminates Bateleur for me .