SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there,

Im back from Berg-en-Dal, and I we had such a storm that the dam in front of reception that was empty for 6 months, was filled in 3 hours!! :D

Will do a trip report next week, it was unbelievable!

Monné

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Liam,

the rhino trail is a walking trail inside the camp which leads from the reception area through the camp always at the perimeter - you will have good views to the dam and down to the Matjulu and sure you can spot animals there - take your binos & camera with you and it is always a pleasure to strech the legs after those long long game drives.

Monne - looking forward to your trip report. :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:39 pm 

I have a very naive question: Why exactly should you not walk part of the Rhino trail at night? Is it because of snakes, disturbing people who might have chalets/camps at the perimeter or ????

Sorry to be ignorant about this but hope to learn so as not to make a stupid mistake when we come to Berg-en-dal in Feb....

Thanks for the education.....Bunnyl

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:18 pm 

Hi Bunny from another mother.

All of the above.

I walked most of the Rhino trail when I was at BnD in July and some of it goes through some bush that is fine during the day, but I would not want to try that section at night.

Scorpions and spiders tend to be nocturnal and let's not forget abuot the mozzies. You would need a blood transfusion after such a walk at night.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:48 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi Junior

We have now completed the rebuilding of # 27 & 28 and are busy with the next two in line. During 2006 we did #23 – 25 and the two non perimeters #20 & 21. Hopefully we will be able to start with the next three units before the end of January and then continue down the line in the new financial year. The new units are really making a huge difference to the comfort of our guests with a lighter interior with more space in the kitchen and bathrooms. Unit 30 will also be adapted for persons with a mobile imparity (we only had family units available previously).

Bush Regards
:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:05 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi Monnevanloon

Yes indeed it is beautiful to see the dam full of water again; we had over 100 mm during the night of 3rd Jan with that heavy storm.

BunnyL, walking the Rhino Trail at night (the section from the camp corner @ #26 to the camping) can be very intimidating & scary at night :shock: with snakes especially presenting a problem, but don't forget our leopards in the area. If you have to be brave take someone with you.

Bush Regards

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all :D :D

Just want to introduce my best experience @ Berg-en-Dal ever!!!

Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ug6Set9aj0

@ the right place @ the right time :dance:

Monné

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:43 pm 

Just came back from a fantastic visit to KNP I would like to give a short comment about the camps in which we stayed. The start is to be done with Berd-en-Dal.

We were able to get last minute accommodation in a perimeter bungalow in Berg-en-Dal and we very surprised about the new renovated units – although I always tried to enter the bungalow via the kitchen…..

We were awarded with bungalow No. 27 which is in my opinion one of the best with perimeter view – very close to the fence and we could watch two elephants from our verandah feeding and walking their ways – amazing.

Although nearly packed all cameras away already for our departure the next morning Timon was able to take the following shots of the newly renovated bungalows. The bedroom remained nearly the same (still 3 beds) but 2 beds have now been put together. The kitchen is completely new and also the bathroom and toilet (separate now)

Image Image Image Image Image

The living/sleeping room has still got the same size as before but I feel that the kitchen/bathroom area is a bit larger now. All windows have been replaced and you now have to enter the bungalow via the sliding door – no door in the kitchen.
The verandah is partly roofed which was very comfortable as it rained a bit whilst braaing but the light outside is still a bit too dark and you must use a torch in checking your steaks on the braai – btw I checked in each camp the braai grids and the one in Berg-en-Dal was totally clean so was everything else here.

Always a wonderful camp to start our holidays and I promise one day we will stay more than only one night. A very big thank you to Stephen Nel and his team :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:13 pm 

Some pics from Berg en Dal's Manager, Hospitality Services, Stephen Nel:

This is unit # 28
ImageLarge

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic resizing.

Post subject: Re: Food at Berg en Dal
Unread postPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AlanInPhilly wrote:
Hello. We are flying in on May 5, renting a car and going to Berg-en-Dal for a couple of nights. Should we plan on buying food before we enter the park, or will we find the store and restaurant at Berg-en-Dal adequate for our modest needs. We don't require much, after all we're there for the ambiance and the animals, not the cuisine! If the answer is stop before we go into the park, then any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan

The shop normally is well stocked. However, the camp shop is also more expensive than buying outside the park. We nomally do a short shop stop at the Spar in Malelane to stock up on our proviand before entering the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Greetings from the bush

Monkeys? No these guys are way beyond that. Since I saw them I started believing in the evolution idea. They have evolved way beyond anything that homo sapiens are capable of. :shock:

On a more serious note, yes indeed the monkeys do present a problem and a fairly serious one at that. Please make sure that you provide containers to secure your food (and that includes sugar, coffee and salt). The baboons are leaving us alone to a large extend, but they do enter from time to time.

The upgrade have not started in any serious format again :redface: but I am trying to get it up and running soon.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Berg & Dal Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:08 pm 

... so we did. On 1 Dec, we entered Malelane and saw nothing, I mean only about 4 impala, up to Berg & Dal. Then, about 2km from camp on the dirt S110, stopped for an impala creche (they're so cute!) and just started driving again (so, were going extra slowly) when SO got this grin on his face and reversed. There she was, Leopard In Tree!!

She lay around in the tree for a while and about 10min later got out of the tree and disappeared. Anticipating some action, we reversed to the impala creche and had our breakfast. 15min later, they scattered!! Missed! There she was again, now much closer to the road, about 7m ?? Wow. Some other cars appeared on the scene, one JUST after leopard ran deeper into the bush. The driver said something like "ain't that always the way, we always just miss them", and drove off.

They should have hung around like we did, becoz about 5min later, leopard re-appeared up ahead right next to the road. We drove closer which might have chased her back into the bush :redface:
We watched until we could see her white tail no more. Who knows, she might have even re-appeared again.

So, now, I'm a believer!
ImageImage

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 pm 

Units with a nice view at B'nD.....From looking on the map, no.37 and no.80 looks closest to the fence, but 25-31 have previous votes as good units...? And no. 90, 91?
Any comments?

Thanks!
rooikat

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I know 90 and 91 are very nice! Don't know what number (90 OR 91) is better, but standing from the fence facing the units, the one on the left IS THE BEST IMHO :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:05 pm 

Hi to the Forumites on this thread!

We have just returned from BnD and had an excellent holiday! We were allocated bungalow # 90 and IMHO it IS the best unit in the camp. Every afternoon we had our "sundowners" on the park bench and adjacent rock overlooking the fence. When it was full moon, we sat there too - man, that was truly awesome! We also had frequent visits by animals - even an ellie RIGHT next to the fence. If I were to go back to BnD (which I plan to do soon), I'd book # 90 in a flash!!

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards

lee lewis

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next