Skip to Content

Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Unread postby Spotted Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:55 pm

alf wrote:I haven't been in them myself but heard from a friend that unit 25 has the best view over the dam. I have booked it myself for the 24th december. Can't wait to go

We were in unit 25,(July ) but it doesn't have a view of the dam itself- just a good stretch of the river. (It was dry at the time)-We had some fantastic sightings, though! taking the Rhino Trail, just a very short walk to the dam. If they had good rain, there's bound to be water in the area in front of your chalet.

One of the renovated ones, lovely kitchen!

Hope you have a wonderful time, alf :D :mrgreen:
"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

Pikkie

Berg en Dal bungalow

Unread postby Pikkie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi I hope that this has not been discussed before and that I am not duplicating this topic!

I will be visiting Berg-en-Dal for the first time in October this year! This will be, should I actualy say; the first time that I will be sleeping over.

I have never stayed over this far down south and would like to know about general game, special roads, special sightings aswell as birding in the area.

I have also heared that it is possible to request a specific bungalow. We have made a booking for a BA3U. Is there a specific number you can suggest? The lady at centralreservations said that it is a perimeter booking!

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I did the same when I stayed over at Skukuza and your suggestions helped alot!

Thanx
Michael
I am blessed!

alf

Re: Berg en Dal bungalow

Unread postby alf » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Pikkie,

I'm sure you will love Bergendal. We had a BA3U bungalow during december and requested no 25 which for me was very nice. The popular matjulu loop around camp is very good to drive and also the road up to Afsaal where you can enjoy a nice breakfast.

Maybe other mites can give you more info.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Looking at the map on the website and from memory I would also recommend 37-39 , 48-51 , 58 -61 , 67-69 .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Jen

Unread postby Jen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

We had 37 in January and it was GREAT!!!!
Napi Tail - Feb 2015

alf

Unread postby alf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:20 am

Pikkie,

The S25 between Bergendal and Croc bridge is very popular and wild dogs are seen on a regular basis. Also the H2-2 Voortrekker road towards pretoriuskop cheetah was sighted by Martie last year.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

nightjar

Unread postby nightjar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Pikkie,

I would recommend taking the road over the Steilberg (S120) - it goes over the mountain, is very scenic and quite different to the rest of Kruger. You can do a loop from Berg via Matjulu - Steilberg and back down H3, etc (only around 35 km). Seen a lot of rhino on this loop. You mentioned the birding - Amethyst Sunbird is a special around Berg - seen that in camp and on the S120. Lots of other birds in camp, especially waterbirds at the dam, although most migrants will be missing in October.

Enjoy your trip. :cam:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am

The S121 Timfenene , S118/9 Mlambane & S23 Biyamiti loops are my favourites in the area .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Goose

Berg - en - Dal Family Cottage

Unread postby Goose » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 am

Hi everyone,

Any opinions on Family cottage Unit 22? or any other suggestions?

Appreciate any advice!
Thank you

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Berg - en - Dal Family Cottage

Unread postby Hugh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Family cottages at Berg en Dal are quite spacious and sleep 6 . two each in the two bedrooms and two in the lounge which is large.Nice private braai area and open plan kitchen . I have always enjoyed staying there all surrounded with shady trees.
BB I thought you liked tamboti
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

windsor

Re: Berg - en - Dal Family Cottage

Unread postby windsor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:17 pm

We last stayed there with another couple and their 3 kids so there were a total of 7 of us. We had plenty of room and the braai area is great. We were even fortunate enough to see a leopard :D walking a few meters off the fence line. That being said, the family cottages at this camp need an upgrade like the bungalows. The shower 'room' had lots of mildew on the ceiling and tiles, is so small you can barely fit in there, let alone have anywhere to put clothes, towels, etc., the burners didn't work and we couldn't use either of the AC units cuz it sounded like they were going to fly out of the wall!! But if you take into consideration you're only going to be there a few hours...to braai and sleep :mrgreen: , it's doable. Just not as decent as other camps.
6/09 - Punda
10/09 - Sabie and Skuks
12/09 - Berg-en-dal
3/10 - Skuks and Satara
7/10 - Olifants and Skuks

michaelpr

Walking around at night in Camps.

Unread postby michaelpr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 am

Hi,
We are staying in Berg-en-Dal at the end of august this year.
Is it safe to walk round camp at night trying to spot animals? Or walking next to the fence?
Would you recommend doing that, or isn't it safe enough?

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Walking around at night

Unread postby RUMURUTI » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

Mi Michelpr,
My personal opinion is that first of all it depends on the camp and at what time of night.
During the first hous I'd say it's ok, simply because you have a lot of people moving around, lights on and fires burning.
Things can get change during the late hours and in camps with thick vegetation close too or around the fences.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Walking around at night

Unread postby p@m » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Berg-en-Dal has a trail around the camp which follows the fence.

At the dam in front of the restuarant is a sign -- please do not walk the trail after dark as it is not considered safe.

Walking between units -- or down the roads to the restuarant -- or to the ablutions in the camping area is fine :thumbs_up:

Bushcraft

Re: Berg-en-Dal Guesthouse

Unread postby Bushcraft » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi MaryMattMillie,

We stayed there for the opening of the soccer world cup as a family treat. I wish that we could have stayed more than 1 night.

Some of the furniture has been updated - I think that some of the pics on the web site are old.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”