SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi Adriaan

The sites ate Berg en Dal are not demarcated at present so finding a sites big enough for your two caravans should not be a problem. The area in the nr 3 site next to the fence are the most popular ones, but it is also the ones that get crowded quicker. We are currently working in part of the camping area, but that should not impact too much on your stay. The nr 1 site has been finished up and you should find that quite comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mads – out sightings are very good at the moment with lions bombarding the camp at night. Please book as soon as possible to avoid any disappointment. :shock:

Warm regards from the bush :D

:shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:31 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi BB

The camp sites are situated as follows driving down from the chalets side into the camping area:

Left of the road Camp site #1 - this one we have levelled already and put drainage in - plenty of power points and except for one of two spots you should not need a cable longer than 25 – 30 meters. We are going to put one more electricity box in to take care of that difficult spot.

Right of the road Camp Site #2 - we are busy working on the levelling of that area at present. In the past you needed 40m of cable there, but with this upgrade we are putting on two new service areas with water and power boxes - bringing the distance down to around 25 meters.

Down the bottom is camp site #3 (mostly fence sites) - that area is well supplied with electrical points except for the most bottom corner where at least 35m cable will be needed.
:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:28 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Greetings from Berg en Dal

Our upgrading projects for this year have started.
Just to wet your appetite I would like to present our newest view units.
You will notice that we even encourage stargazing through the (un-)thatched roof.

ImageLarge

We are also planning to have open-air showers, but I am not sure if the contractor understood the process. :?
ImageLarge

On a more serious note, this is the beginning of our upgrades and I will keep you posted as they develop up to the final product.
For the moment, please do not put any requests for units 27 and 28.
The surprise might be more than you bargained for. :shock:

Warm regards from the bush
:D

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics resized.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi BunnyL,

Firstly, welcome to the forum! I read that you are a camper, as I am, but I would advice you not to camp in February if its not a money matter.. I dont know your understanding of hot (as the USA can get very hot at some places aswell), but I would not advice you to camp in Feb, as it can be up to 40 degrees celsius, its exhausting :shock: . I love camping, but I will not advice anyone to camp in summer, and secondly there can be real heavy thunderstorms, and a lot of insects.. :mrgreen:

If you decide to camp anyhow, try to get a nice shady campingspot next to the fence, there are some lovely sites in Berg-en-Dal :D . I even read somewhere you can book a specific camping site since the upgrade, but rather ask Stephen about it. If its not possible, try to get there in the early moring, then you will have plenty of choise, as in february the camping normally isnt that crowded. Certainly do a sunsetdrive, its faboulus !! 8)

Enjoy your stay!! The only thing I know of the parks in KwaZulu Natal is that the humidity is very highly, so it can be very uncomfortable to camp I guess..

Enjoy your stay in Kruger, the best park in the world!
Monné

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:22 pm 

Hi BunnyL.

B&D is one of my best. Also what makes it great is the closeness to JHB for me. A quick drive down the N4 and I am there. Ive seen almost everything there and will continue to go. Anyway, I digress: -

I have some photos of our camping times at B&D. You can see the closeness of the camping sites to the perimeter. You can not get closer. Some of the links are: -

http://www.glynsay.co.za/Holidays/07-04 ... /index.htm
http://www.glynsay.co.za/Holidays/06-12 ... /index.htm
http://www.glynsay.co.za/Holidays/05-08 ... /index.htm

I wish I were you and going there! Enjoy.

Regards

Glynn

Glynsay
Glynn and Lindsay

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The family cottages at BnD are great, Dragon. Two bedrooms, a lounge (with 2 more sleeper couches) and open plan kitchen, plus 1 toilet, 1 shower, 1 bathroom with basin. They have a really nice large patio (incl. braai area, of course) as well. Have a look here for a sample photo of the outside. Some interior pics below:

Lounge:

Kitchen area:

Bedroom (2 single beds, the 2nd bedroom has 1 double):

Pls note that the lay-out of each individual cottage may vary slightly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what type of bungalow nr 90 and 91 are?
Please, because I have to know if they are 2/3 persons bungalows with perimeter or not, as they are close to the camping and will be convenient for us...

Anyone :roll: Stephen? :roll:

Hope I get a response :mrgreen:

:wink:

Monné

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:15 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As far as I remember, 90 and 91 are 2 bed bungalows near the perimeter fence and not far from the camp site :)
Take a look
here

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:01 pm 

They also have Family Cottages (FA6) which sleep 4 to 6 persons.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:39 pm 

Congrats Berg & Dal - CAMP OF THE YEAR :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:09 am 

Congratulations to Steven for the "Camp of the Year" award, and Lorens for being nominated as Outstanding Achiever. You are both deserving of this award.

(Lorens - it was so nice to get to meet you before you left to write your exams. Say Hi to OB for us)

After just returning from a wonderful 21 nights at Berg 'n Dal I can understand why you received these awards...

The camp is the best we have stayed in. The renovations to the cottages are discreet, and we never heard any noise as a result. The renovations seem to have progressed down the northern perimeter fence, around cottages 31 onwards.

The central areas of camp site 1 and 2 are brilliant. All level stands with stone paved guttering for water run off, and river sand topping to stop the mud. The 3rd camp site still needs dire attention though. Not all stands are level, and the camp sites closest to the entrance to the 3rd camp site attracts all the water run off from the unfinished camp sites along the western side of the 2nd camp site and the run off can be quite damming! Luckily we only had one really serious storm to talk of last Saturday, which only lasted about 20 minutes. We did have a near flooding, but luckily the water drained off as quickly as it deepened on our ground sheet!

Shade is not a problem in any of the camp sites. I will however recommend that before setting up camp, check which direction the sun sets and make sure that you have sufficient protection from the setting sun - as the afternoon sun is hot, especially days where the temperature reaches 42c at midday (as we experienced in our first 2 weeks).

Monkeys are still a major problem in the camp site. They have learned how to open zips on tents and windows on caravans. We personally never had any bad experience with monkeys other than them creeping into our caravan through the off side window while we were sitting under our awning. Other campers were not so lucky though. One Conqueror trailer had it's roof top surround torn off, to get to food left in the trailer. Another caravan had it's back window opened and inside ransacked, while another camp site had left their food in full view inside their tent awning, which was only covered by netting and had left the monkeys a feast.

The trick is to keep all food out of eye site of the monkeys. They have recognized that Tupperware containers and ammo boxes contain food and will stop at nothing to get to it. The secret is to keep all your containers out of view site, or cover them with a towel or something appropriate when you leave - even if you are only going to the ablutions... If you do have any incidences - phone the duty ranger to come down and help. Steven has a pop gun that the monkeys are afraid of, and after having to resort to such a request, the monkeys stayed clear of our camp for a couple of days.

Another problem is that the over lander tour buses guests have been seen on numerous occasions feeding the monkeys in order to get good close up photos of them. These tour operators should be fined heavily, but I'll post my suggestion to this on another thread.

I do have photos of the 3rd camp site which I'll post as soon as I can for those interested.

Until later....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I sometimes have problems with vervets around my house, and have tried various ways to discourage them. One that seems to work well but cause no damage is water. I had the hosepipe in my hand one day and turned it on them and they scattered quickly and did not come back. Now I have bought a strong water pistol (one of those R49 jobs from Game, etc) which shoots up to 20m and it does chase them away. Useful tip which can be fun in the pool too????

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:15 am 

Hey All

I will be visiting B n' D for the first time in January and after reading about it am very excited indeed :dance:

I will be spending three nights camping and was wondering if any of the campsites have a view through the fence or if there is any advice about which campsite areas are the best, I read in the last thread that area 3 is not the greatest but any advice about camping at Berg-en-dal would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is already on the thread :redface:

one more quick one, is camping like skukuza where it is first come first serve with no designated sites?

thanks all!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you want a view through the fence area 3 has it all. If I remember correctly there are also a couple of sites in area 2 with a "view".
There are no allocation of sites. I see that you will be there during school holidays which make finding a campsite next to the fence a bit more difficult.
The last time we camped in Berg en Dal we were in area 1 and we enjoyed it just as much.
Berg en Dal is great, especially for camping. Enjoy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:56 pm 

Stayed at BnD during July 2007 for one night at the camp sites. Not sure which area.

It is a charming Camp and I fell in love with it. Definitely on my "must go back to" list and spend more time there.

Only complaint I have is that the shower rose in the cubicle I used was too low so I had to shower on my knees.

The Rhino Trail is enjoyable and the view from the resturaunt deck is ama-zing. Lots of animals came down to drink and we did not really have to move around to see the animals.

Did walk most of the trail and enjoyed the view, but saw more game from the deck.

I particularly like the way the camp is built around existing trees and it looks as though the camp designers specifically decided to build the camp with minimal impact on the area.

It really is a beautiful place and anyone who experiences t will definitely go back repeatedly.

The surrounding hills are a stunning setting for this jewel of a camp.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next