Skip to Content

Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
wilmaw

Re: Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Unread postby wilmaw » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:08 pm

... so we did. On 1 Dec, we entered Malelane and saw nothing, I mean only about 4 impala, up to Berg & Dal. Then, about 2km from camp on the dirt S110, stopped for an impala creche (they're so cute!) and just started driving again (so, were going extra slowly) when SO got this grin on his face and reversed. There she was, Leopard In Tree!!

She lay around in the tree for a while and about 10min later got out of the tree and disappeared. Anticipating some action, we reversed to the impala creche and had our breakfast. 15min later, they scattered!! Missed! There she was again, now much closer to the road, about 7m ?? Wow. Some other cars appeared on the scene, one JUST after leopard ran deeper into the bush. The driver said something like "ain't that always the way, we always just miss them", and drove off.

They should have hung around like we did, becoz about 5min later, leopard re-appeared up ahead right next to the road. We drove closer which might have chased her back into the bush :redface:
We watched until we could see her white tail no more. Who knows, she might have even re-appeared again.

So, now, I'm a believer!
ImageImage

Rooikat

Unread postby Rooikat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Units with a nice view at B'nD.....From looking on the map, no.37 and no.80 looks closest to the fence, but 25-31 have previous votes as good units...? And no. 90, 91?
Any comments?

Thanks!
rooikat
KRUGER TRIP 2013

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:10 pm

I know 90 and 91 are very nice! Don't know what number (90 OR 91) is better, but standing from the fence facing the units, the one on the left IS THE BEST IMHO :lol:
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

lee lewis

Unread postby lee lewis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi to the Forumites on this thread!

We have just returned from BnD and had an excellent holiday! We were allocated bungalow # 90 and IMHO it IS the best unit in the camp. Every afternoon we had our "sundowners" on the park bench and adjacent rock overlooking the fence. When it was full moon, we sat there too - man, that was truly awesome! We also had frequent visits by animals - even an ellie RIGHT next to the fence. If I were to go back to BnD (which I plan to do soon), I'd book # 90 in a flash!!

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards

lee lewis
"To be playing a part, no matter how small, in the conservation of our dwindling wildlife is an experience I shall always cherish." - Stuart Hilcove

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Quickie

Unread postby Quickie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Does anybody know the number of the 3-bed unit that was upgraded and made wheelchair friendly? Previously only a 6-bed unit was wheelchair friendly.

Thanks
Louis
I love a Quickie!
Quickie = brandname of my wheelchair.

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:59 pm

:D Dear Louis

Thank you for your enquiry. The three bed unit that was converted is nr 30. It is nicely situated close to the fence on teh west side of the west side of the camp. Had a report of lions walking past there :roll: the other morning while people were busy packing up to depart.

Warm regards from the bush
Stephen Nel
Manager: Hospitality Services
Berg & Dal Rest Camp: KNP

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Greetings from Berg en Dal :D

Yvonne

I am not sure if you were helped yet with your enquiry. Please send me a mail with your details if you still need help – stephenn@sanparks.org . We can indeed see if we can help with specific units. Number 26 being the best view family cottage with 78, 82 and 92 also close to the fence but not really with a view. It is always better to book your game drives in advance. We have groups taking up the drives quite often and it will help if you let us know in advance. Maybe we can organize extra vehicles or alternative dates.

Safrica

It is not impossible to have been caracal. We see them from time to time on the Timfeneni Loop (S121). The backside of caracal looks different, to the other cats – more rounded with less tail showing. The back legs are also slightly longer and heavier than the front legs making the back a bit higher. If you are not sure, you will just have to come back to find it again… :naughty:

Warm regards
:D
Stephen Nel

MarilizeB

Unread postby MarilizeB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:38 am

Dear Lee Lewis

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Post some :cam:

Did you stay in a BA3U Bungalow. We are only 2 people and will be staying in a BA3U and would like to know which one of those are the best. :hmz:

lee lewis

Unread postby lee lewis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 am

Hi MarilizeB!

Yes, I have just checked my file: it was indeed a BA3U unit. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of the camp (unit). But I am quite certain that this unit (90) will not disappoint you. Just be on your guard for the vervet monkeys - they can become a problem!!
"To be playing a part, no matter how small, in the conservation of our dwindling wildlife is an experience I shall always cherish." - Stuart Hilcove

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 am

Honorary Rangers Paint Berg en Dal Green

On Saturday 15 August 2009 the Honorary Rangers from the Lowveld Region had their bi-monthly meeting and work party at Berg en Dal. The meeting started at 09:00 on the morning and with typical no nonsense report backs, it was finished early enough for the Honorary Rangers to make their presence felt in the camp, helping out with some maintenance and removing of alien vegetation.

A group accompanied Mike Stevenson to do a follow-up on some Lantana cut on previous occasions. They also made good use of his knowledge to learn more on some plants and trees.

Another group with Nico Maritz and Khakie Ferreira tackled newly repaired garden benches with green paint and brushes. They really did their bit and only stopped when the paint ran out.

Dave Malloch-Brown and Jenni Lane was oiling the wooden sign post in the camp and made sure that any termite thinking of taking a bite would have a serious case of diarrhoea.

The juniors were supervised by Leon Wilken and Robbie Green and kept busy with all sorts of information and quizzes.

A small group that stayed the night at Berg en Dal was treated to a bring & braai in the bush - and did nature bring. When we arrived at the braai site, three rhino were waiting for us 8) . They did not stay for the braai though. We started the fires and enjoyed the company of some very good friends and, of course, nature at its best.

On Sunday morning there was one item on the program, with Moloko Makhonisani doing a presentation with the staff on HIV & Aids as well as Stress. It was as serious as was needed, but it also brought the message across in a very open and friendly way.

Patrick Reniers and your team, we thank you for the help, the time you always give and the friendship :thumbs_up: . We are looking forward to the next round.
Stephen Nel

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:33 pm

“Welcome Home”

This is how Mr and Mrs Da Silva from Camperdown in KZN were greeted when they came to visit recently. It was a very special visit with equally special cargo to be delivered to Berg en Dal.

Mrs Da Silva donated a Wooden Bead Work Picture of a mother and baby white rhino to Berg en Dal. She made this picture in memory of a mother and calf that they saw dieing after getting stuck in the mud on a previous visit.

The occasion at Berg en Dal took on a much more lively note though and with two cakes, also with compliments from the Da Silvas, and some pap and wors there was reason enough for the staff to dance. Mr Bones (Alias Mr Da Silva) had us in stitches with his antics and made sure there was not a face without a smile.

The cakes were beautifully decorated with Kudu Kop, Berg en Dal name and paw prints. A true sign of the dedication with which the Da Silvas do everything they do. And to top it all, they also made a video of the celebrations and cut some DVD’s for the staff.

Mr Da Silva, Petronica Langa and Mrs Da Silva

The Da Silvas came as visitors, stayed and became friends and returned as family – Berg en Dal salutes you.
Stephen Nel

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:58 pm

KykNet visits Berg en Dal

On 11 August 2009 there was a chance for guides at Berg en Dal to become film stars. 8) A KykNet production, Stadig oor die Klippe, visited Berg en Dal and joined us on a morning walk with their cameras.

And Action

Head Guide, Surprise Hlatshwayo joined up with Freelance Guide and Honorary Ranger, Willie de Beer to take the film crew of Stephanus Rabie productions on an early morning walk at Berg en Dal. Neels van Jaarsveld, without the “eish” so early in the morning, did the talking and kept Willie on his toes with some questions. :hmz: If Willie and Surprised were stressed with the cameras on them they never showed it and not once did they require powder for the noses.

Yes, it is a Hole…

They talked quite a lot of “****” :naughty: (dung) along the way as the animals were a bit scares, but in the end we managed to tick giraffe up close, impala, zebra and a beautiful group of Kudu bulls. We also enjoyed some spectacular scenery in the hills around Berg en Dal and the tell signs of nature (read “****” dung).

Going to the Top of the World

After some good six hours with the crew (doing a couple of cut and re-do’s) :whistle: , it was time to head back to Berg en Dal for a sumptuous breakfast overlooking the Matjulu Dam in front of the camp.

We made some new friends on the morning and my guess is that they will be back for “nog-‘n-enetjie” (another one) – with “eish” this time?
:thumbs_up:
Stephen Nel

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

A pic from the past - June 1984 , below the restaurant amphitheatre area .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Possible to arrange for private game drives in Berg en dal?

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:03 pm

There is another option as well it seems, but not sure which camps does offer it or what the cost involved would be.
New Additional Drive Options
.... However an additional offering is an all-day-drive where, on request and availability at camp level, guests may hire the use of a vehicle and driver for the entire day, subject to availability. Trained officials take visitors to sections of the park which are usually inaccessible to tourists. This service can also be arranged from other camps at an additional fee.

Reservations should be made well in advance (2 months):

Crested Barbet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Berg-en-Dal - contact

Unread postby Crested Barbet » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:11 pm

flying cheetah wrote:I spend the last 2 nights of my next KNP-trip in Berg-en-Dal from 05/12/09-07/12/09 and thought it would be a great idea to finish the holidays with a bush breakfast or bush braai :P
Could anybody please tell me the E-mail contact of the camp to ask them if there is a chance to book something. Of course it would be great if any forumites would join me :wink:

Here you will find what you need:
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/camp-tel.php
My TR's
- It's time for Africa! (KNP Nov./Dec. 2010) - Video page 7: Wild dogs watching lions!
- Memories from the backseat (KNP Dec. 2009)
- If I could fly (KNP March/April 2010)
- Time to fly south again (MZNP, Addo, and more Nov/Dec. 2011)

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”