Skip to Content

Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 am

:D Greetings from Berg en Dal

Elena, here are a couple of pics of Rhino Guest House.
The layout is an open plan kitchen to the lounge and dining area.
The two main bedrooms have e-suite bathrooms and the other two bedrooms share an extra (separate) bathroom, shower and toilet facility.
The House is right on the fence at the front of the camp, we often see elephant and rhino coming past that area.
With a bit of luck you might even see our resident leopard as well.
The bird life is very good with all the trees around.

ImageLarge
Entrance with the double car port.

ImageLarge
Front view from the fence of Patio & Braai area.

ImageLarge
Lounge area from the open plan kitchen

BB, I was lucky enough to go do some rhino catching on Tuesday, did not take any pics though, I was too busy pushing and shoving to get the rhino into its cage :shock: .
Even got a chance to fly in our new chopper. 8)

Till the next time.
:D
Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Pics resized.
Stephen Nel
Manager: Hospitality Services
Berg & Dal Rest Camp: KNP

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:28 pm

:D Greetings from Berg en Dal

Our upgrading projects for this year have started.
Just to wet your appetite I would like to present our newest view units.
You will notice that we even encourage stargazing through the (un-)thatched roof.

ImageLarge

We are also planning to have open-air showers, but I am not sure if the contractor understood the process. :?
ImageLarge

On a more serious note, this is the beginning of our upgrades and I will keep you posted as they develop up to the final product.
For the moment, please do not put any requests for units 27 and 28.
The surprise might be more than you bargained for. :shock:

Warm regards from the bush
Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics resized.
Stephen Nel

Jose
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jose » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:05 pm

The family cottages at BnD are great, Dragon. Two bedrooms, a lounge (with 2 more sleeper couches) and open plan kitchen, plus 1 toilet, 1 shower, 1 bathroom with basin. They have a really nice large patio (incl. braai area, of course) as well. Have a look here for a sample photo of the outside. Some interior pics below:

Lounge:

Kitchen area:

Bedroom (2 single beds, the 2nd bedroom has 1 double):

Pls note that the lay-out of each individual cottage may vary slightly.
Don't you just love them tuskers? 8)
Click-and-read (and donate!)
here

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what type of bungalow nr 90 and 91 are?
Please, because I have to know if they are 2/3 persons bungalows with perimeter or not, as they are close to the camping and will be convenient for us...

Anyone :roll: Stephen? :roll:

Hope I get a response :mrgreen:

:wink:

Monné
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Freda » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:15 pm

As far as I remember, 90 and 91 are 2 bed bungalows near the perimeter fence and not far from the camp site :)
Take a look
here

mabidally

Unread postby mabidally » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:01 pm

They also have Family Cottages (FA6) which sleep 4 to 6 persons.

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi there,

Im back from Berg-en-Dal, and I we had such a storm that the dam in front of reception that was empty for 6 months, was filled in 3 hours!! :D

Will do a trip report next week, it was unbelievable!

Monné
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi Liam,

the rhino trail is a walking trail inside the camp which leads from the reception area through the camp always at the perimeter - you will have good views to the dam and down to the Matjulu and sure you can spot animals there - take your binos & camera with you and it is always a pleasure to strech the legs after those long long game drives.

Monne - looking forward to your trip report. :dance:

BunnyL

Unread postby BunnyL » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:39 pm

I have a very naive question: Why exactly should you not walk part of the Rhino trail at night? Is it because of snakes, disturbing people who might have chalets/camps at the perimeter or ????

Sorry to be ignorant about this but hope to learn so as not to make a stupid mistake when we come to Berg-en-dal in Feb....

Thanks for the education.....Bunnyl

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi Bunny from another mother.

All of the above.

I walked most of the Rhino trail when I was at BnD in July and some of it goes through some bush that is fine during the day, but I would not want to try that section at night.

Scorpions and spiders tend to be nocturnal and let's not forget abuot the mozzies. You would need a blood transfusion after such a walk at night.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:05 am

:D Hi Monnevanloon

Yes indeed it is beautiful to see the dam full of water again; we had over 100 mm during the night of 3rd Jan with that heavy storm.

BunnyL, walking the Rhino Trail at night (the section from the camp corner @ #26 to the camping) can be very intimidating & scary at night :shock: with snakes especially presenting a problem, but don't forget our leopards in the area. If you have to be brave take someone with you.

Bush Regards
Stephen Nel

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi all :D :D

Just want to introduce my best experience @ Berg-en-Dal ever!!!

Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ug6Set9aj0

@ the right place @ the right time :dance:

Monné

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Just came back from a fantastic visit to KNP I would like to give a short comment about the camps in which we stayed. The start is to be done with Berd-en-Dal.

We were able to get last minute accommodation in a perimeter bungalow in Berg-en-Dal and we very surprised about the new renovated units – although I always tried to enter the bungalow via the kitchen…..

We were awarded with bungalow No. 27 which is in my opinion one of the best with perimeter view – very close to the fence and we could watch two elephants from our verandah feeding and walking their ways – amazing.

Although nearly packed all cameras away already for our departure the next morning Timon was able to take the following shots of the newly renovated bungalows. The bedroom remained nearly the same (still 3 beds) but 2 beds have now been put together. The kitchen is completely new and also the bathroom and toilet (separate now)

Image Image Image Image Image

The living/sleeping room has still got the same size as before but I feel that the kitchen/bathroom area is a bit larger now. All windows have been replaced and you now have to enter the bungalow via the sliding door – no door in the kitchen.
The verandah is partly roofed which was very comfortable as it rained a bit whilst braaing but the light outside is still a bit too dark and you must use a torch in checking your steaks on the braai – btw I checked in each camp the braai grids and the one in Berg-en-Dal was totally clean so was everything else here.

Always a wonderful camp to start our holidays and I promise one day we will stay more than only one night. A very big thank you to Stephen Nel and his team :clap: :clap: :clap:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu May 15, 2008 2:13 pm

Some pics from Berg en Dal's Manager, Hospitality Services, Stephen Nel:

This is unit # 28
ImageLarge

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic resizing.
Sawubona
Dalene

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 pm

:D Greetings from the bush

Monkeys? No these guys are way beyond that. Since I saw them I started believing in the evolution idea. They have evolved way beyond anything that homo sapiens are capable of. :shock:

On a more serious note, yes indeed the monkeys do present a problem and a fairly serious one at that. Please make sure that you provide containers to secure your food (and that includes sugar, coffee and salt). The baboons are leaving us alone to a large extend, but they do enter from time to time.

The upgrade have not started in any serious format again :redface: but I am trying to get it up and running soon.

Hope this helps.
Stephen Nel

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”