SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:54 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

All of them! You can find a map here.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:19 pm 

I also love BND and used to go there a lot when my two grown up sons were babies.
In those days 1985 there was a resident leopard who often came into camp as the camp was built right in it's territory and you had to be very careful doing the perimeter walk as on more than one occasion we found the tell tale sign of its tail hanging down from a tree and its coughing and sawing sounds at night around the campsite were well"thrilling!!"
After one enjoyable Honorary Rangers Conference at BND our family stayed on and were literally the only people in the campsite and we camped right at the bottom of the camping area.
My eldest son Robert who was 4 (now 23) and I slept in his tiny pup tent that night and both ends were open to let the breeze through as it was very hot.
Only the thin gauze mossie net was zipped up.
We dozed off and I soon woke up with the sound of large animal(s) moving through the grass a couple of metres away...thought they were rhino...got out of bed and in the light of the distant ablution block I could see the 4 kudu cows, got back into bed listening to the Kudu, soon fell asleep again only to be woken by the tent moving.
Looked down at my feet end of the tent and there silhouetted against the flyscreen by the distant light of the ablution block was "Mrs. Spots of BND" with her large head and LONG whiskers CLEARLY visible.
My heart jumped into my mouth. as she was 1 foot from my toes!!
The conversation went something like this.
I shouted bravely, "VOETSEK" Leopard growled and departed.
Rob woke up and said "Daddy what's that I want to wee!" I said bravely,"It's nothing son but we are not going to the Ablution Block!!!!"
Next morning we had a wet sleeping bag (Rob's) hanging to dry over the fence and I enjoyed showing my boys the clear sandy leopard spoor in the ladies loo of the ablution block!!!
There was a lot of dew the previous night and "Mrs Spots" picked up the wet sand grains outside the toilet before wandering in to probably admire herself in the mirror!!
She was subsequently removed twice to the Wolhuter Trail Wilderness area about 15kms from BND only to return to her beloved home...typical cat.
Then it finally happened, she bit one of two German tourists late one night as they slept outside their clapped out combi after sleeping outside throughout Africa and on their last leg of their epic trip behind a fence this happened.
It was then decided to remove her properly to Shingwedzi where she apparently survived for about a month and after many territorial fights she disappeared forever.
This story appeared in the 2nd issue of Getaway.
There was also a small gap in the fence near the dam wall at BND .
One day a family went out at dawn from their hut for a game drive.
They came back at 8h30 and parked there car behind their hut and walked around to the front on the perimeter fence side and walked straight into a Lioness sitting quietly on their stoep!!!
The camp was in chaos. the gates were closed and one of the Rangers were called either Johan Van Graan of Malelane or Mike English of Stoznek Section.
They tried chasing her out but she led them on a merry dance!! and sadly for safety they had to shoot her near the swimming pool. Exciting Camp Berg En Dal!!!!

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:34 am 

Hyena at the fence of B&D, made by Rob.

Leopard near B&D, made bij Cathy

{Hyena photo resised by DQ}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jose and I had a very pleasant week in BnD last week.

There was nothing to complain about :D

The camp is big and spacious, very green, and well laid out with good spacing between the units so you do not feel cramped or overlooked by your neighbours.

We had a guest cottage - basically this is two bungalows joined together by a short corridor, There are two bedrooms - one with two single beds and one with a double bed - in one of the sections; the other section is an open plan living area with kitchen area, a large lounge with a table and chairs and two more single beds. The kichen has a sink, a two-ring electric hob, a toaster and electric kettle and a big fridge freezer. There is crockery and cutlery for 8 people.

The connecting corridor has separate toilet, shower room and bathroom with wash basin.

The locking entrance door leads directly into the double bedroom. The living room has a large sliding glass door which opens onto the large lapa, with table, chairs and braai.

The two bedrooms have individual aircon units (high on the wall so not adjustable) and the sitting room has an electric ceiling fan.

The whole place is built from unfaced red bricks, with a high thatched roof.

The bungalows were of similar construction - we didn't look in any of them but they looked to be roomy and comfortable - one or two of the perimeter ones were right on the fence, with just the Rhino Trail separating the lapa from the perimeter fence.

The main complex had reception, offices, a "standard" shop - a bit cramped compared with, for example, Pretoriuskop but well stocked - snack bar and restaurant. There is also a large boma complex where they hold functions (such as rowdy forum meets :D ) and a small open-air auditorium where they show evening wildlife films on a large TV.

We had a quick look at the camp site and it looked to be reasonably well shaded - it was virtually empty so difficult to envisage accurately.

The staff were unfailingly polite and helpful, and on the two evenings when we ate in the restaurant the buffet food was good. I was amused to notice that, with one exception, none of the dishes in the buffet was labelled so it was try-it-and-hope-for-the-best or ask the staff. The one exception was the "Fresh Fruit Salad" :shock:

There were lots of birds in the trees, and we saw a few Vervets in the camp but we were never troubled by them.

All in all it was a very pleasant and peaceful camp; one particularly nice aspect is the entrance - after passing the gate you continue along a road with trees and bushes on both sides all the way to the reception car park. It gives the impression that you are still in the bush instead of a camp.

Post subject: Boomslang in Berg en Dal Pool
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:41 pm 

Just returned from our 2 weeks visit in krugerpark,it was an awesome experience with lot of great sightings,our last day we stayed in Berg en Dal and shortly after a swim in the pool of the camp (I was still around to make some birdshots) we heard a splash in the water,it appeared to be a boomslang who hided in the tree above the pool and chased a frog which just had jumped in the pool,my wife screamed snake snake in the pool and warned the 2 girls that were still in the pool,the boomslang misted the frog and climbed up in the tree again,after a while when we were eased down a bit he made another go for the frog and came down out of the tree again,again he missed the frog and climb up again,a few guests who had joined the pool saw it happen,but for us the swimming was enough for the day,we informed the reception about this incident,but I dont think they did anything with the information,I dont know if someone had a similar kind of experiece and if/or these snakes are dangerous for human,as I read in books that the are very venomous

Paul :?: [/b]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:15 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Bush Greetings from Berg en Dal

Paul, that was quite some sighting, with the boomslang coming to cool off after the frog.
The message of the snake was indeed passed on to me.
I have a policy of removing any snake that poses a danger to our guest.
Some of them are however not that easy to remove, but if it is just in a tree, one does not really worry too much, as in most cases they do wander off after a while.
We had a 40 cm python the other day in the camp that nearly became the dinner of a genet.
We helped the python out, literally and figurally.

The first phase of the camping is almost finished.
We opened it for Easter and will finish off the last things after school holidays.
We will then tackle the #2 site and work our way down to the #3 sight.
It is going to take us another couple of months, but the end product will be so much nicer.
We also had a donation of a nr of trees and we will be planting some in the camping as well.

On Friday I had a drive with family, here is a short account:
Matjulu loop, rhino died and lion were feeding.
By this morning it was less appetising, but they were still there.
Steilberg - nice herd of elephant.
We also had a Colt bouncing over a huge boulder trying to get out of the way of a stinky ellie.
Rhino (a live one) at Afsaal.
It actually moved, so it was not the dummy that always lies around there.
Biyamiti loop - lots of buffalo signs, eventually saw three at some distance.
Biyamiti weir - Ingwe (Leopard) in all its glory lying on the rocks. Got beautiful video of him.
Could not resist - turned into the 18k's.
Saw lots of buffalo signs and some ellies closer to the camp. This one was particularly entertaining.

S25 - plenty of elephants and one hippo.
The general game came to the party as well, kudu, waterbuck, phumba and family, vultures, brown snake eagle, bateleur, white helmeted shrike.
Just to round it off we got the doggies on the 12 back to B&D. 11 of them running in the road. 8)

It was a six hour drive, but worth every minute.

Till next time
:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 am 

Hi Everyone

Just got back from Easter weekend at Berg & Dal and it was one of my better trips to Kruger.

Stephen, the camp looks stunning, the accommodation was clean and tidy even to Brazilian standards!!! :D Its fantastic to see your influence on the camp and B&G winning camp of the year is a testimony to your hard work dedication and levels of service to us your guests. I used to be extremely allergic to main camps but B&D is now one of my favourites!! Well done Nella !!!!!!!

On the sightings side, all I can say is it was AWESOME!!! We arrived on Friday morning, had to make our way through the zoo called entrance gates over holidays and then drove up to Afsaal for breakfast. We got ellie, buff, rhino and leopard around Afsaal and then after breakfast we drove to Skukuza.. sometimes I wonder why I do that.. we got lions near Skukuza. So a good 5/5 drive with lots of kudu, zebra, blue wildebees, pumbas and giraffe.

Saturday morning we left camp at 6 and drove to Afsaal and back, returning to B&G via Steilberg and Majulu loop. We saw buff, ellie, rhino and leopard at Majulu waterhole. Again the park is teaming with other game. Not bad 4/5 and I was so happy with another leopard sighting!!

Sunday morning the whole tribe went for an early drive, the plan was to drive to the Baobab tree near Satara and then use to tar road from Tshokwane back to Lower Sabie, then the S25 back to B&D. Huge amount of driving but easily done in 12 hours. The morning started fairly quiet untill we got to the Afsaal road.

Near Renoster pan, we got out first leopard, fantastic sighting for about 5 minutes without any other cars, yupp that's even possible during Easter, then a Nissan hardbody d.cab joined us on the sighting and we spend another 10 minutes with the leopard. Time to move on... we then got ellie and loads of general game, At Afsaal we spend some time looking at the dummie rhino and something caught my eye about 10 m further on.. I drove on and TADA leopard!!! The rest of the traffic jam just drove right past kitty in the tall grass, the nissan hardbody was still with me and asked why am I spending so much time on the rhino..i pointed out the leopard.. this being a family forum I won't quote their language use, I was however asked how lucky one person can get..The next moment a Volvo 4x4 stopped near the leopard and the kids stuck half way out the car...poof see kitty run... I forgot to thank the Volvo driver for his consideration..will do that maybe next time..

We moved on from Afsaal towards Skukuza and crossed the Sabie river over the low water bridge.. the road on was fairly quiet with the odd herd of impala. When we got to the Baobab tree I suggested to the family that we carry on to Satara, it was still early enough and we'll make it back to B&G on time. 3 prides of lions near Satara and hyena on a lion waterbok kill. I then dodged traffic and made our way back to Lower Sabie. ! more pride of lions on the tar road back to Lower Sabie and we stopped counting the ellie and rhino sightings. Eventually got buff near Lower Sabie. Then down the Tar road towards the S25. More lions, ellie, buff and rhino. Saw yet another pride of lions on the S25. On the 12km's to B&D we again got lions and a HUGE traffic jam.

So lions 7 times
Ellie about 30 times
Rhino about 10 times same with buff
and leopard twice that in one day :shock:

We left the park early Monday morning and then saw the big 5 again, 1) taxis, 2) buses, 3) unroadworthy bakkies, 4) traffic cops and 5) a couple of okes trying to break the land speed record on the N4.

Cheers and I hope your Easter weekend was as fantastic as mine.

Last edited by Tusk-and-Tail on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Berg & Dal Camping fence camping
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:35 pm 

Hi

Re Camping sections :

Can anybody help with the following question :

Has section 3 only got camping sites along the fence or has section 2 also got sites along the fence, as this is not too clear on the Berg & Dal map.

Thanx

Robs

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Robs,

Section 2 also has sites next to the fence, but only a few. In my opinion, the sites in section 3 are beter. Just one tip, be in BnD early, else all the sites are taken when you get there.

Also, section 3 sometimes is a little crowded when the park is busy, as most people goes for the fence :D

When I visited BnD in February, they where busy leveling/upgrading the camping areas around section 1. I spoke to Stephen Nel, the hospitality manager of BnD, and he informed me that section 2 would also be given the same treatment. I do not know how far they are with the work.

Have a good time at BnD, and I am sure the resident hyena will come visit at night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:07 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Greetings from Berg en Dal

We had some lovely rain in the last two weeks. The bush is looking lovely, even the burnt are towards Malelane. The dam is still rather empty though, not enough rain for flow in the Matjulu.

Robs, there is only about two sites in #2 area that overlooks the fence.

I have seen these doggies just up the road the other day. Lovely to see them play 8) . Difficult to picture though as they are quick. This was part of a pack of 11 dogs.

ImageLarge

Till the next time.

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic resizing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:57 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi Francois

Hope this one is better for you. :twisted: Saw her Friday about 6km form the camp all on her lonesome. Her mates were making big noice again last night though.

ImageLarge

Greetings from the bush :D

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic resizing.

Post subject: Lone Leopard and lone me
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:47 pm 

Some time back after arriving at Berg en Dal rest camp, I told my husband I would just take a short drive to the local water hole. Upon arrival there, I was the only person around. It felt quite scary. After about 5 minutes, I couldn't believe my eyes as a leopard walked slowly towards the water, had a drink and walked all around the area and then towards my car. Not having a cell phone, I couldn't even tell my husband to get there quickly. Leopard stayed around for some 10 minutes or so and I was still the only observer. A little later a ranger appeared but didn't stay long (he'd seen it all before). The excitment at watching the leopard mixed with the frustration of being the only person to watch and have nobody to get excited with was quite a mixture of emotions.
When I got back to camp my husband didn't believe a word of it! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:10 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Great sighting, Carole :D
I love that waterhole and have also had some great sightings there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:45 pm 
Guru
Guru

I am sitting working at home, just finished my monthly report while being serenaded by this magnificent male lion.

ImageLarge

I took this pic of him earlier when coming back from Skukuza earlier today. He was only about 2km from the camp.

I had two sightings of wild dog today as well, one on the way to Skukuza north of Afsaal (5 dogs) and one coming back this afternoon South of Afsaal (10 dogs). I spent some time with the second group – what a privilege.

ImageLarge

This tree frog had the great honour of becoming lunch to a Spotted Bush Snake in our laundry over the weekend. It took about half and hour for the snake to swallow the frog. Then I kicked him out (didn’t have a license to eat in the laundry).

ImageLarge

Till the next time

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic resizing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 am 
Guru
Guru

Elena, here are a couple of pics of Rhino Guest House.
The layout is an open plan kitchen to the lounge and dining area.
The two main bedrooms have e-suite bathrooms and the other two bedrooms share an extra (separate) bathroom, shower and toilet facility.
The House is right on the fence at the front of the camp, we often see elephant and rhino coming past that area.
With a bit of luck you might even see our resident leopard as well.
The bird life is very good with all the trees around.

ImageLarge
Entrance with the double car port.

ImageLarge
Front view from the fence of Patio & Braai area.

ImageLarge
Lounge area from the open plan kitchen

BB, I was lucky enough to go do some rhino catching on Tuesday, did not take any pics though, I was too busy pushing and shoving to get the rhino into its cage :shock: .
Even got a chance to fly in our new chopper. 8)

Till the next time.

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pics resized.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next