SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Bottom 5 Disliked Kruger Roads
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do not particularly dislike any of the Kruger roads but a road that I just am not overly fond of is the S100. Each time we travel that road we are covered in dust in no time and have itching red eyes from the sand grains because of our open window custom that is hard to give up. I have to admit that there are animals to be seen, perhaps that is the reason why everyone looks so excited and ready :cam: on that road. But rather give me any road from Letaba upwards to Pafuri in stead but all the other Kruger roads are also OK :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
bert wrote:
H1-6 from Mopani to Shingwedzi (till hit hits the river)
The landscape (mopani) and no sightings ever

Had these 2 brothers in the road just north of the Shongololo loop turnoff all to ourselves in the recent school holiday for 20mins. :D :D

Dr. Phil, we drove the Shongololo loop 2.5 weeks ago. Didn't see another car for 2.5 hours! That alone (leaving the Nyala and various raptor sightings out) made it one of the best roads to drive! We had Kruger to ourselves. :dance:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 pm 

Wildtuinman, The only part of the loop I will drive is the south part. It is great to have the park to yourself but to not even see impala is just sad :tongue:

My SO wants me to drive it and then after a while of no animals what so ever she goes to sleep. :naughty:

In the Mopani area there are such nice roads that I feel it is OK to give the Shongololo loop a skip. But I am glad you enjoyed it. We saw a really big cobra in the tar road just north of the northern exit to the Shongololo loop. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think the S100 is one of the roads that do not bring us any luck and for others heaps of luck sightings wise of cats and wild dogs. We were in the Satara area during July and everyday there were reports of other Kruger Goers in the camp seeing lions, sometimes twice a day, wild dogs, leopards and so forth on the S100. We have not seen any of those on that road and we did drive that road but unfortunately at the wrong times of the day. And this is going on for some time years now that we drive that road at the wrong time. We have seen plenty of general game though :thumbs_up:. On the other side of the coin: best road for us in that area –the Satara-Orpen Road and it is tarred. Lion, Cheetah, Leopard and Wild Dogs, we have seen on that road many times also once a female hyena carrying her pups across the road. Can’t wait for the detour to be finished.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We drove the Shongololo loop in December. It was so quiet and dry that I felt that I was on a moon scape. No animals... nothing, only relentless heat. A week later it was closed due to floods. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Goeie genade, can there be a 'disliked road'? IMHO, there are excellent roads and good roads, but disliked roads? Never.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:38 pm 

Agree 100% with rooies! Geen slegte pad in kruger!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:02 am 

I'm with you guys on this Rooies & wbevents! Although one does not always see everything you wish to on all the roads you travel, each road is different and beautiful in its own way! If there are no animals I enjoy the birds and the scenery, the sounds and smells :) Anywhere in Kruger = me :D

IMHO special sightings would not be special sightings if everything could be seen everywhere and all the time... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
we all have our subjective standards on which we judge a road. For instance: game, birdlife, scenery, lack of traffic etc there are better and worse roads according to whatever your criteria are. So there are bound to be roads that are by comparison the best to your taste, and those that are not so much to your taste. I don't think any of us would turn down the offer to be on our least favorite Kruger road right now, but the topic is about hearing which Kruger roads are your least favorite. :wink:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
we all have our subjective standards on which we judge a road. For instance: game, birdlife, scenery, lack of traffic etc there are better and worse roads according to whatever your criteria are. So there are bound to be roads that are by comparison the best to your taste, and those that are not so much to your taste. I don't think any of us would turn down the offer to be on our least favorite Kruger road right now, but the topic is about hearing which Kruger roads are your least favorite. :wink:

Yup, sitting at my desk here at work, I would rather be driving my least fave road.
And as Cheetah says, people drive different roads for different reasons.

For me, I am not that keen on the P'kop area. Have found that those roads aren't that productive.
And especially now that I have kids, driving for miles, seeing nothing but the prospect of a rarity doesn't work. They would prefer to see a Zebra every few km/mins rather than the possibility of a rare antelope after hours of driving and see nothing.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our 5 least favourite roads “in” Kruger, we can only say if we include our whole trip.

They are the 25kms before Lydenburg, the one road in Lydenburg, the main road in Lydenburg, the other road in Lydenburg and then the 25kms out of Lydenburg.

I find it amazing that in a 5 hour drive, all the bad roads are in and around 1 town. :naughty:

Are there actually disliked roads in Kruger ones? :hmz:

Try as I might. When I think 5 disliked roasd in Kruger, the above just come to mind.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our 5 least favourite roads “in” Kruger, we can only say if we include our whole trip.

They are the 25kms before Lydenburg, the one road in Lydenburg, the main road in Lydenburg, the other road in Lydenburg and then the 25kms out of Lydenburg.

I find it amazing that in a 5 hour drive, all the bad roads are in and around 1 town. :naughty:

Are there actually disliked roads in Kruger ones? :hmz:

Try as I might. When I think 5 disliked roasd in Kruger, the above just come to mind.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7