Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Safari Tents
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:46 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I stayed in # 24 last night, not a river view but we could see the river and it was very private.
#21 - 23 were river view in front of us but very close together, # 20 looks perfect.
They have all been renovated, with a locking door and the new bathrooms are very nice and now have a bathroom door. All kitchen cupboards have keys and the fridge has been moved inside.
We didn't see any baboons around the camp :D

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooikat,
The BD3U is the unit that I described. On the map I think they are still shown as BG2U - they have replaced the old huts overlooking the river.
The BD3U are on the side closest to the restaurant and the BD2U are on the other side next to the pool.
You do not have to worry about the units not upgraded yet as they are still being shown on the website as BG2U.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:52 pm 

Well I have to say that the management of Lower Sabie have come up with a great way of cutting congestion on the roads around the camp - the refurbished River View cottages. We didn't want to leave it, even for our usual early morning drive.

They are stunning, the decor, the furniture, the kitchen, the patio, the view. Gives a real luxurious feeling.

We stayed in number 4 and I have one little gripe - people tend to walk along the river and then walk up in between nos 4 and 5 to get to the path to the shop/deck area so you don't have an awful lot of privacy when sat out on the patio.

The day we had a lie-in we were rewarded by a small herd of elephants coming down to have a bath and a play. Absolute bliss.

Well done Lower Sabie - we had a real and totally unexpected treat at the end of our holiday.

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Luxury Tents
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 pm 

Hi

I stayed in the very corner unit so had two borders. Nearly had a heart attack when discovered a hippo was eating grass right alongsdie the fence which is right next to the tent late that evening... Very exciting - I was scared to breathe.. Also watch out for the hyena that comes into the camp at night - he eats plastic dustbins :shock: Monkey's also try and get in so just make sure you close up properly and lock food away. Otherwise it was lovely. Enjoy... (Even the ones just slightly back from the row along the fence had a nice view).

Regards
Anne

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 pm 

Dug up some photos taken last year, not perimiter but gives you the idea. Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:53 am 

You must try and get the famous/infamous tent 16 it is in the corner so has perimeter fence on two sides about 1m from tent front and side. It is not overlooked except for the baboons, hippos and hyena that watched us have our sundowners. Amazing. We were recommended it by the manager of Oliphants camp and were not disappointed!

Enjoy :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:36 pm 

Hi Kalmek

We visited KNP in Feb this year and we stayed in a tent in LS for the 1st time. This was just after the heavy rain and luckily not too hot, although very humid. We had no 23.
Bedroom

Bathroom

View from no 23

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:58 am 

Patto,

The BD3U bungalows are numbers 3 - 22. Yes they are all river facing. You get the odd one where there's a huge tree in the way but you can still see the river. I would choose number 20 - 22 because of personal experience i find the lower numbers (3 - 8) too close to the deck and the noise level from there can be bad on busy days.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We stayed in a BD3U bungalow (number 6) on 16 & 17 July 2009. It is beautiful with a great view of the Sabie river. The units are big and are still linked 2-2. This unit had 3 beds...2 in the bedroom and 1 in the kitchen/dining-room area. Herewith a frontal picture:

Herewith a view from the veranda:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

some pics of the 5 bed huts...

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marilize

The BD2U's are all in a straight line, so in my opinion there isn't any one that has a better view than the others. They all have great views. They have been renovated and look very nice......

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

Hi, someone asked us to post photos of Lower Sabie units so here is my contribution.
It is a BD3U unit and it was Unit 3 which was right next to the shop and reception.

Unit 3 (BD3U)

The view from our verandah

Bathroom (Shower, basin and toilet)

Main room with 2 single beds. The door you can see is the door to the bathroom and the kitchen is on the left.

The kitchen. Hotplate only. The lighting is not very good in the kitchen

The 3rd bed in the kitchen. Not really suited for an adult as there is no packing space so things can get a bit cluttered.

Overall this accommodation has been upgraded beautifully and the view is seperb (the shower is fantastic) Unit 3 is a little bit too close to the shops for my liking as you can hear the fans or something all the time.

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie BG2U Bungalows
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 pm 

The new BD2U units have a bigger stoep/veranda, and a bit larger inside. Never stayed in one but followed some of the building.

The BD3U have a great kitchen, with a extra bed for all my Camera gear.

BD3UZ are the 2 units for disabled people. Very large veranda in front.

From the left facing the river, is the camp restaurant. Then a small house. Then the units start BD3U. These first units are very noisy from the people at the restaurant. Around unit 12 I think are the disabled BD3UZ. And then a few more BD3U, then starts the new BD2U and last at the end are the older BG2U.

The views are the same outlook on to the river. Very nice.

I have stayed in a BG2U with the fridge inside the unit. Ask management for a unit with the fridge outside. Otherwise it is very small.

Hope all this helps, but keep on monitoring the availability, sometimes one is lucky to find a cancelation and then you can upgrade.

Personally I usually don’t care, but in this camp I would try to upgrade if you are staying longer than a day.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm 

Hi Mauxie

Our suggestion would be tents 27 or 28 and then if they are not available to ask for 21 or 20.

I've uploaded a few more pics here for you to peruse...
http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/camps.html

Note that tents 20 and 21 have good views but because they are built lower, the reeds could have grown to such a height that they could obscure your view. Tents 27 and 28 are built on higher ground so will not be as affected by reeds and bush as the lower tents. In September the reeds and bush should be thin and low but you never know.

Keep in mind when booking that tent 21 (and 22) have a different code - LST2UZ - as they are built for the physically impaired and therefore have ramps and handrails.

Mario

Post subject: Re: Construction in the Park
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 pm 

Welcome to the forums, LizelleB!
The safari tents do have lockable doors now and the fridges are also behind a lockable, cage-type door. I do prefer the renovated bungalows though.
Enjoy your stay.
Regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next