Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:58 pm 

Elephantears, have a look at Index to Best Unit Numbers
and if you look at the Map I think the ones on the left, old BG2U's are the new BD2U's and the ones on the right hand side are the BD3U's.
We are still waiting for the new map to be released.
Also have a look at some of the pics and comments in the Accommodation Photos
Hope this helps!

Post subject: Re: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am 

I have also booked 3 nights in lower Sabie in the BD2U units, and wondering... Should the BD3U units become available, should I swap, or are the BD2U units better?

We are 2 adults with 2 toddlers, so the 3rd bed isn't really that important. We'll make a bed on the floor for the kids anyway. So I'm guessing the only real difference between the 2 is the kitchen inside vs kitchen outside?

*G

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:11 pm 

I'll be spending a few nights in Lower Sabie in August. One thing I've been trying to plan is the morning trips from Lower Sabie. I like to take a 2 hour drive from the camp I'm staying in, and then have breakfast at a picnic spot. What are the options from Lower Sabie. Nkuhlu seems a bit close, and Afsaal seems a bit far. Are there other options that are not shown on the online map? eg. Does Croc Bridge have a picnic area with gas braai facilities? Similarly, does the day vistor's area at Skukuza have gas braai facilities? Or what do the regular Lower Sabie visitors do?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:29 pm 

Guzz, apart from the ones you have mentioned there is the Mlondozi Picnic Site a very popular one with a lovely view.
Can get very busy during high season.

Skukuza is actually one of our favourites one as they are all quite private and you are surrounded by bush.
The do the gas with skottels.

Skukuza Day visitors Site

I must admit I haven't seen any gas braais at Croc Bridge but do know there are a few where you can make a fire in.

We often do a full day round trip from L.S up the H10 to Tshokwane picnic site and then back down the H1-2 across the high level bridge and down the H4-1 back to camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:42 pm 

As Elsa suggests Mlondozi - we have just got back from a trip and went up there 3 times. The view is spectacular. There was a herd of buffalo around estimated to be 600 strong. We usually see cheetah - this time was no exception also spotted a huge male lion across the river (with binos) I am sure you will love this site.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with suebfly - Mlondozi is a "must". Wonderful view - once we saw (from the picnic site) elephant, rhino, lion and buffalo at the same time. Another time we saw 3 or 4 honey badgers making their way home after a night out on the town. Yes, cheetah are often in the area - heard reports but we have not been too lucky.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mlondozi is a very definite must, Guzz. You can rent a gas bottle and skottel there, and the view is stunning.

It's also a favourite spot for predators to hang around which did not help with my wife's blood pressure the last time I took her there. The baboons were alarm barking, and yours truly goes wandering off to see what they're worried about. She was less than impressed :)

Of course, I prefer Makhadzi or Pafuri picnic spots, but that's a bit far to go from LS for some bacon and eggs :P

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:15 am 

Excellent! Thanks guys! Glad you told me about this one. On the online map it doesn't show Mlondozi as a picnic spot or even "alight here" area. Will definitely give it a try!

Anybody sure about the gas braais at Croc Bridge?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:47 am 

I am totally confused regarding the BD2U & BD3U cottages!! The photos are mostly out of date as they have renovated and I am still not sure which photos depict which cottage type. Which ones are the best? Firstly for views and secondly for outlay? Any clarification would be hugely appreciated. We have just stayed in one of the tents and until they renovate them I think I will give the BD2U or BD3U's a try. Has anyone posted recent photos on Roaneric's wonderful page?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are photos on Roaneric's page.
The BD2U's give a living outdoor feel, with the kitchen on the veranda, close to the action at the braai!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 pm 

Hi All

I will be spending 7 nights in the LST2 Safari Tents in Lower Sabie in April next year - unfortunately no perimeter tents available. Any advice on the best LST2 locations will be appreciated - tents 14 and 15 are already taken :cry:

Kind regards
Albie :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 pm 

We keep trading up as things become available and currently have T15 reserved. I can see that some of the disabled tents are being made available 30 days before the reserved date. Thus, we might soon have an option for one of those. The map makes T21 look like it's not really on the perimeter, and we don't know if T22 is already reserved.

If a disabled perimeter tent becomes available, are both of those better than T15 which we already have reserved? We felt quite lucky to get any safari tent and would still be happy with T15.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Duncanblizzard, the disabled tented accommodation at Lower Sabie is particularly nice. I would say, ''go for it''. :thumbs_up: I feel the same way as you do about the tents. I really love them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:01 am 

You can also see some great pics of quite a few of the tents Accommodations photos
Just scroll down the page a bit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12