SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
My suggestion would be a sunset drive rather than a sunrise one You can do the sunrise one as a self drive . leave as soon as the gates open the sunrise drive leave about half an hour before gates open ..But the sunset drive has something special to it .. Also how will you get three small children up and dressed ready for a drive.( please check also the minimum age of the child as they are not keen for young children to go on these drives
) and have fun planning

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ilovenationalparks - you are spot on - planning :think: is part of the excitement :dance:

If you have once stayed at Lower Sabie, you will always return :D

Although expensive, the BD3U's (and the BD2U'S) are fabulous accommodation - and really a "room with a view". From the bedroom you still have a view on the river if you open the curtains of the room and kitchen.

The family units, FU4V are even better, more private and a bit nearer to the fence and will suit you perfectly - and I am sure they will allow one extra person. But there are only 2 units ( although I am not sure about this ) and very difficult to find.

As Friedrich von Hörsten said, there is so much to do around LS - many roads to travel and the game viewing is always good. The deck (with M & B now) - not to be missed!

But it is your holiday - make your choice - and let us know.
Happy planning.
Leana

Kruger: June = LOWER SABIE :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:27 pm 

The 5 beds huts are reasonable value for money. There are 4 of them, numbers 49, 54, 55, and 60 with 3 bed huts in between them, so slightly similar to dormitory style accommodation in the shape of a U. Unit 49 is my favourite as there’s nobody next to you (end of the U) and 60 has an FU5 next to it. 54 and 55 are in the middle of the U.

A boma is currently being built in front of the U, which will be a good asset for all if it rains because the huts have no veranda.

The ablutions could do with some care.

Beware of bats in the huts though as I have seen plenty in all of them

The BD3 units are great, especially if you book 2 as they are joined, therefore you will have the entire space, which I mention as the only down fall in my opinion is the close proximity of the unit’s braai area to each other, but you won’t have this problem as 2 units make a “building” if I’m making sense. (Provided they are allocated this way by sanparks, which I’m sure they will be under 1 reservation number) I think the best BD3 units are 17/18, 19/20 and 21/22

Will your kids sleep in their own unit

The FU4V units are 95 and 96 I think (pity there aren’t more of them) I have stayed in these also and they are very nice; however I find it almost impossible to get a booking

The last time I enquired about the tents no additions were permitted, even a small child, which is a pity

There is only 1 x FU5 left at Lower Sabie also, so for 4 or more in a family you don’t have much of a choice as there’s only 7 units which take 4 or more besides Keartland guest house

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi, ilovenationalparks, and a very warm welcome. :gflower:

Chirinda and I stayed in one of the 5 bedded huts in March. I would say, without hesitation, the best value for money in the Park.

There has been a lot of building and renovation, but I found that it did not bother me at all. Some of the ablutions are needing a good overhaul and that is on the cards. The one ablution block is much better condition than the other, just look round. For all I know, there might already have been work done on the older ablution block.

I found the beds comfortable and the hut was surprisingly spacious. The cleaning staff were pleasant and efficient. Would I stay again? In a heartbeat.

Most of the complaints lately have been directed at the permanent tents. Unfortunately they were badly damaged in the floods and still need a thorough overhaul. I have no doubt that it is on the Sanparks agenda.

Some of the huts have no views, but I loved to get up early and walk along the river. The new ''Mug and Bean'' has also had consistently good reviews.

If you can get four days accommodation in the huts, I would stay only at Lower Sabie. There is enough to cover and keep you happy. Packing up, particularly with a family, can be such a hassle.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Chirinda posted this picture in our trip report. This is of the older block. There is a new block that is excellent.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79160&start=120

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I can only recommend the spacious EH5 huts at Lower Sabie (like Meandering Mouse said). Perfect for a family with kids as the base rate is for 2 adults and you only pay children's additional rate for the kids and they are in the hut with you and not in a separate unit. Family units are scarce in all camps.
Only downside is that you need to walk to the communal bathrooms, but you will save big money for that.
Reserve them as soon as possible as they do get snapped up especially in peak times.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For a family - 2 adults and 3 children. Some comparisons.

Lower Sabie EH5 - R650 per night with communal facilities (note only Pretoriuskop has similar )
Lower Sabie FU5 - R1830 excellent alternative with own bathroom and kitchen
Lower Sabie FU4V - R1945 river view and self-contained. Fifth bed added by camp for child.
Taking 2 BD3U will cost R2210 (children will be alone in separate hut).

Taking a fantastic Guest Cottage in Satara or Orpen for arguments sake would be R2020 which is good value.

This is the dilemma facing larger parties about the vast amount of 2 bed bungaloes in Kruger and the short supply of family units.

Solution is to reserve family accomodation early to avoid taking the 2/3 bed bungaloes which are designed around couples.
We like the Guest Cottages over Christmas and New Year (special treat) and then take more economical Huts and Safari Tents between.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
ilovenationalparks wrote:
I generally find that finding family accomodation in most national parks is a problem. I've had on occasion had to book three two bed units, only to use two of them. I would never let a child stay in a bungalow or tent without supervision ... criminal masterminds might also enjoy wildlife.)

While I obviously do not have have statstics, I would asume that a large portion of KNP visitors must be families with young children. Why isnt there more family accommodation? Does anyone know the reason for this.

I noticed that you could book a hut with one bed. Now that seems like a waste of space. If you are alone (and I cant imagine too many people visit the park solo) you may as well book a 2 bed bungalow. One room bungalows could be turned into private bathrooms or kitchens which could be hired at an additional cost for campers etc.

I quite often visit the Park solo. It is my retreat.

I do agree that there is a strange mixture of bungalows. I did find that finding family accommodation was the most challenging.

Post subject: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:56 pm 

We stayed in the EH5 during the June/July holidays last year and found them very good value for money, clean and comfortable. We enjoyed socializing and chatting to our neighbors in the communal kitchen, ablutions and braai area. The drives in that area are usually very rewarding.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ilovenationalparks wrote:

While I obviously do not have have statstics, I would asume that a large portion of KNP visitors must be families with young children. Why isnt there more family accommodation? Does anyone know the reason for this.

This is an interesting point. I seem to recall that stats that were gathered before the latest strategic planning document was released (sometime late 2012 or beginning of 2013?) indicated that the largest proportion of visitors to Kruger were in the age group 50 and older. This is of course an annual number. During the 8-odd weeks of high season school holidays, undoubtedly the number of families visiting the park must be in the majority.

I have lived through the school holiday Kruger visits both as a child and as a parent; during the latter we did the family cottage thing when the boys reached their teens; this meant careful planning and booking 11 months in advance! So, it tended to be family cottages in (a) Letaba (b) Satara (c) Shingwidzi (only 2 there as I recall), or Mopani (almost always possible to get accommodation there in family cottages). Otherwise it was the bush camps; Sirheni, Talamati, Shimuwini, Biyamiti. Overall it was a lot easier to find accomodation in the northern part of the park than in the south. Which was fine by me!

I see this topic has been hijacked comprehensively. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I found that camping with the family was good family time, the family that can camp together stays together.
Nothing like pitching some tents to sort out the differences :D

Family accommodation had to be booked 11 months in advance, and when the time came some of the children had other commitments (sport etc)

And I can definitely vouch that KNP would be a great place to think and gain perspective.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz: perhaps they need more 2 bed units, think part of the problem is a couple end up booking the bigger more bed units as there are no more 2 bed units available and you pay just base rate which is for 2 people.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:34 pm 

The family accommodation with ablutions are always the first to go in most camps. In Lower Sabie the FU4V’s go first and then the FU5. One pays for a base rate of 4, not 2 for these units. A close second are the BD3U’s then the new BD2V’s. Last to go are the huts (which tells me they are the least popular) and it’s these that are the issue because a 5 sleeper hut, of which there are only 4, have a base rate of 2.

Tamboti and Pretoriuskop have the same problem, so it seems that all the family units with toilets have a base rate of 4 and those without toilets a base rate of 2.

All family units should have a base rate of 4

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 pm 

Welcome to this wonderfull forum.

Negatives for Lower Sabie well I wouldn't pay attention having been going to the park for over 20 years. Stayed in many camps and have to say without hesitation Lower Sabie the best, altho was surprised last year when we stayed in Skukuza, actually loved it. Please book ur accommodation for 2015 as soon as you can. I have just tonight booked for May 2015 and unfortunately all the BD3Us are already fully booked so had to book a BD2U for 9 nights. Much the same at Skukuza the accoms I wanted were gone.

Good luck with ur booking , finding what u want and you will have fabulous time..Maybe we will meet up.... :D :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:24 pm 

Apologies to ilovenationalparks for using your post.
I am somewhat confused by looking at the Camp map and its description of the bungalows. I have a reservation for a BD2U but no such bungalows are on the map all are listed as BG2U except for a couple of BD3Z!
Could anyone please tell me which bungalows have the best view of the river from no 3 to 24 and 76 to 96?
Thank you very much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next