Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
shumba

A diffrent perspective of LS

Unread postby shumba » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am

Here is a different perspective to a view of Lower Sabie...

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby francoisd » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:21 pm

During our stay at Biyamiti we popped-into Lower Sabie for lunch on 30 September.

The service at the take-out area was once again slow. It was busy but not more than usual. Even took some time just to ask for a empty cup for our tea.

The new river facing units have been completed too no. 22
15 & 16 has different verandas and all unit have carports. Some next to the bungalow while others is across the road from the unit. Still a lot of construction going on on the other side of no 22.

"Normal units"

The veranda of units 15 & 16

One of the car ports. They are not closed on top just a couple of poles running the lenght.
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 am

Hi Marina,
I think we stayed in Tents 14 and 15 on a trip last March. It was very close to the fence and it was possible to shower peeking over into the bush. 8) The animals also use the path next to the fence when they wander over towards Sunset Dam.

I have completely fallen in love with the Lower Sabie tented camp. I hope that you have a stunning time.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Marina

Unread postby Marina » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 am

The Safari tents do have utensils and the little kitchen on the verandah is great.

I loved staying in these units, and agree with Pjw that they are a bit removed from the main camp which makes them really peaceful quiet. Ah what I'd give to be there.

We had many great sightings from our tent in Dec 07: buffaloes and crocs in the river daily, hyaena & hippo within an arms length at the perimeter fence & warthog with little ones!

Go for it mikath, you won't regret it! :D

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:03 pm

We love the safari tents and would choose them every time in winter months when aircon is not essential
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

MarkWildDog
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MarkWildDog » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:43 pm

Definitely safari tents. Especially the ones right next to the fence! I know that there are some resident vervet monkeys and baboons that are regularly in high profile clashes around that area, so i suppose that is the only problem however you take it. The safari tents are almost totally secluded from the rest of the camp and nearly bordering the main tar road. There is also easy access to the restaurant via a convenient pathway. And the tents are very modern and neat. The front tents have an amazing view of the Sabie river, much better than that of the bungalows. Also the bungalows are incredibly busy, noisy etc. Especially at night with people running to the fence for every hippo call, thinking its a lion by the fence. Anyways you can have some great sightings just from your tent. I think its the tents on stilts with a deck. So that should be brilliant. My only problem was walking into several spider webs. :roll:

alf

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread postby alf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 am

Both BD2U and BD3U are river facing
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

alf

Unread postby alf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 am

No 3 - 24 are BD3U bungelows and no 73 - 96 are BD2U. The 3rd bed is on the side of the kitchen but very comfortable for an adult. More than enough cupboards to store food inside kitchen
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

bornfree

Unread postby bornfree » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi Christelle
All the river view safari tents are excellent. They have their own deck and your view is magic. No 26 is easy to get to being close to the entrance to the area and also close enough to the resturaunt to be able to walk there and back if needs be. Take a torch with you for evening meals. The walkway is lit but not very well. I have come across friends of the slithering kind on this path but did not have a torch so could not identify.(Just made my evening more exciting)! You will love the accomodation. Enjoy.
Regards
Bornfree.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

hendri

Unread postby hendri » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Christelle,

If you wanna be close to the fence then Tent 16 is the one. The best view of the river and bush with no other tents or bungalows in front of you.

Enjoy
Hendri
Twee Rivieren 20 & 21 Dov
Kieliekrankie 22 & 23 Nov
Urikaruus 24 - 29 Nov
Nossob 30 Nov - 3 Dec
Twee Rivieren 4 & 5 Dec

Jumbo

Re: Lower Sabie Safari Tents

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 am

bornfree wrote:Hi Jumbo,
Have been booked into tent no 17, can you remember what the view is like?

Bornfree.

Bornfree, I can unfortunately not remember what the view from #17 was like…..I’m sure it should also have a nice view. :D
We mostly prefer #16 because it is right in the corner of the camp, next to the fence….at night elephants, hippos and hyenas often pass by. 8)

bornfree

Unread postby bornfree » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:53 am

Hi Mars,
If you have a bush view ask for no 15, partial view of the river and next to the perimeter fence, the best of the bush view tents. Try to organise this now before you go, send LS admin staff a fax.
Regards
Bornfree.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Here we go, the view from #20 :wink:

Image Larger view

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WildThing » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:55 pm

I have recently spent 5 nights in the new 3-bed view bungalows at Lower Sabie and was very impressed with them. They are spacious and well equipped and have some nice extras such as overhead bedside lights and a spotlight shining onto the braai - no more trying to braai by torchlight.
The 3-bed units have an enclosed kitchen area (where the third bed is in its own little alcove) and a slatted patio. The only draw back here is that when it rains you have to sit in the kitchen/dining area behind your sliding door.
The 2-bed units are the same as 3-bed except they have an outside kitchen/dining area under thatch (no getting wet when it rains) and then an extended patio under slats. The kitchen has been designed with the fridge and all cupboards behind pad-locked mesh doors.
We noticed that the baboons still come into the camp early in the morning but not being able to find food anymore they depart very quickly.
Also the fence around the camp has been completely redone and besides having the electrics at the top now has electrics all around the bottom - so no more hyenas in the camp. In fact we never even saw hyenas around the fence, only heard them at night.
I would imagine these bungalows will now prove even more diffucult to get now that the upgrade is virtually finished.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”