Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: tents
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:39 am 

Spent two nights at end of last month the tents at LS. We were told by a manager at Oliphants tent 16 was the best as it is right at the corner of the fence and is not overlooked.When we got there we were given number 16 without even asking. She was right it was amazing as Hyena just strolled past while you sat on the deck in the late afternoon on their way to the river, about 1o feet from where we set. The hippo were comical and lions roaring in the night amazing. I had one scary encounter early one morning when I was seiged by a troop of baboons for 40 mins as they used the tent roof/deck as a play area - all part of the fun and memories!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The riverview bungalows must be BD3, since those appear to be the only bungalows with untensils, and they do have 3 beds, 2 singles in the bedroom and a "daybed" in the kitchen. I stayed in #4 last year, one of the first rennovations, and they are very nice indeed. I think the perimeter bungalows are those along the camp's south fence.

As for being "stuck out by the dumpsters" :roll: , you'll be sure of hyena sightings there :wink: Have a great trip!!

Post subject: A diffrent perspective of LS
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am 

Here is a different perspective to a view of Lower Sabie...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

During our stay at Biyamiti we popped-into Lower Sabie for lunch on 30 September.

The service at the take-out area was once again slow. It was busy but not more than usual. Even took some time just to ask for a empty cup for our tea.

The new river facing units have been completed too no. 22
15 & 16 has different verandas and all unit have carports. Some next to the bungalow while others is across the road from the unit. Still a lot of construction going on on the other side of no 22.

"Normal units"

The veranda of units 15 & 16

One of the car ports. They are not closed on top just a couple of poles running the lenght.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 pm 

Hi Marina and welcome,

Maybe this mapwill be of some assisstance to you.
I haven't stayed there in many a year so not too familiar with where the best tents are located.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Marina,
I think we stayed in Tents 14 and 15 on a trip last March. It was very close to the fence and it was possible to shower peeking over into the bush. 8) The animals also use the path next to the fence when they wander over towards Sunset Dam.

I have completely fallen in love with the Lower Sabie tented camp. I hope that you have a stunning time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 am 

The Safari tents do have utensils and the little kitchen on the verandah is great.

I loved staying in these units, and agree with Pjw that they are a bit removed from the main camp which makes them really peaceful quiet. Ah what I'd give to be there.

We had many great sightings from our tent in Dec 07: buffaloes and crocs in the river daily, hyaena & hippo within an arms length at the perimeter fence & warthog with little ones!

Go for it mikath, you won't regret it! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We love the safari tents and would choose them every time in winter months when aircon is not essential

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Definitely safari tents. Especially the ones right next to the fence! I know that there are some resident vervet monkeys and baboons that are regularly in high profile clashes around that area, so i suppose that is the only problem however you take it. The safari tents are almost totally secluded from the rest of the camp and nearly bordering the main tar road. There is also easy access to the restaurant via a convenient pathway. And the tents are very modern and neat. The front tents have an amazing view of the Sabie river, much better than that of the bungalows. Also the bungalows are incredibly busy, noisy etc. Especially at night with people running to the fence for every hippo call, thinking its a lion by the fence. Anyways you can have some great sightings just from your tent. I think its the tents on stilts with a deck. So that should be brilliant. My only problem was walking into several spider webs. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 am 

Both BD2U and BD3U are river facing

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 am 

No 3 - 24 are BD3U bungelows and no 73 - 96 are BD2U. The 3rd bed is on the side of the kitchen but very comfortable for an adult. More than enough cupboards to store food inside kitchen

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:55 pm 

Hi Christelle
All the river view safari tents are excellent. They have their own deck and your view is magic. No 26 is easy to get to being close to the entrance to the area and also close enough to the resturaunt to be able to walk there and back if needs be. Take a torch with you for evening meals. The walkway is lit but not very well. I have come across friends of the slithering kind on this path but did not have a torch so could not identify.(Just made my evening more exciting)! You will love the accomodation. Enjoy.
Regards
Bornfree.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:11 pm 

Hi Christelle,

If you wanna be close to the fence then Tent 16 is the one. The best view of the river and bush with no other tents or bungalows in front of you.

Enjoy
Hendri

Nossob 30 Nov - 3 Dec
Twee Rivieren 4 & 5 Dec

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next