Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:40 pm 

I absolutely love Lower Sabie. I have stayed at both Lower Sabie and Skukuza and will choose LS over Skukuza anytime! Here are some reasons:
The sunrise over the river early in the morning - take your coffee and sit on a bench along the fence and watch the sunrise over the river.
The deck outside the restaurant which offers views up and down the river - wonderful. One can spend ages just sitting there, watching.
The beautiful lawn along the river side of the camp with magnificent trees.
Not everyone has taken to the 'new' campsites - we like them. They are not along the fence, but there is plenty of bird life around. They are also clearly demarcated.
As L said - Sunset Dam. In the evenings there is always activity (of the wild animal variety around the dam) and it really offers a lot of photo opportunities.
There is the bridge over the Sabie River - great photo opportunities too, and watch the sun set into the river.
The drive to Crocodile Bridge - very special and Croc Bridge camp is charming to visit for a picnic or tea.
Go there for your birthday - you won't be sorry of that I am sure!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:48 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Some Lower Sabie pictures:
The bar area. You also have a view of the river from here

Part of the restaurant area. You are able to view the river from here

View of river from the wooden deck at different times of day

View towards Lower Sabie camp taken from the low water bridge

Part of the garden that seperates bungalows form perimeter fence. If I remember correctly Du Ques had a nice panarama picture of the garden area towards the perimeter fence that he posted a while back.

Safari tents at Lower Sabie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is something so magic about the deck overlooking the river. Its really hard to put in words, but sundowners after a long day, with hippo's laughing and ellies cavorting downstream it really makes you feel like you are in Africa. The restaurant is also stunning, and really worth a meal at night. The facilities of the camp, being new, are excellent. Oh my, I really miss it.

bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:17 am 

The lookout is certainly worth a visit. I don't think many people know that it is there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:19 pm 

Go past the restaurant and you will find the stairs to the look-out.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome Moppie - this site is addictive.

Yes there is water, electricity, fridge, air con and a basin in the huts. The ablution block with toilets, baths and showers is not far from the huts. There are also wash up facilities close by with boiling water 24hrs a day and hot plates to cook food on if you do not braai. Linen and towels are also provided. There are electric plugs to charge up batteries for camera's but you will need to take double adaptors. No cooking/eating utensils in the huts.

I have often stayed in them and as far as I know they have recently been given a facelift - maybe another forum member can confirm that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:20 pm 

Hi Barfly
I stayed in the tents 2 years ago when they werebrand new. What a fantastic experience especialy the shower. As an architect myself i loved the feel and tranquility of these tents. Good design and respect for nature has gone into these structures.
Did have a problem with rats/mice during that stay.....dont leave anything edible outside overnight. Hope this has changed by now.
For isolation and privacy, the tent located in the far North/West corner is the best of them all.
I normally camp in LS as i did last year, so the luxury tent was a pleasant change.
YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED. gREAT NIGHT DRIVE AT THIS CAMP TOO.

Post subject: Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lower Sabie

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 am 

Some pics of the tent we stayed in (no 15) - Very nice Bush view tent

They have nice open views in the shower (this is no 14)

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie - Picture
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:41 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Here's the original, you can see the river in the right.
The tree is just in front of the divide between the bungalows.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:04 pm 
River View Tent # 16

Right next to the fence:

View:

Unfortunately your view towards the right is a bit obstructed by this bush that IMHO can do with a bit of trimming

The fact that this unit is right next to the fence makes it very special for me – I think I will always request it for this reason. You are also actually very close to Sunset dam on that side of the camp.

Some “lows” of this unit:
1. The baboons use its poles to get back over the fence – might give you a bit of a scare
2. Unit 17 is very close to you – you don’t see the people, but if they talk a bit loud you can hear every word. {Personally I don’t think #17 is a nice unit – seems their view is even more overgrown and they are squeezed in between 16 and 18 )
3. Because you are at the end of the camp you hear the cars on the road at Sunset dam during the day.

Another unit that is also nice is #20 – never stayed there, but its location seems good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:22 pm 

Snoobab wrote:
Am I correct in saying that the camp sites at LS are demorcated and when you book in you are allocated a certain No and that is where you have to pitch your tent. If this is so can you pre book your site and which sites are the best ones.

It seems to be first come, first served basis.
IIRC the low numbers are near the ablutions, last time I had 30 something and it was nearer to the river side. No harm in asking for one of the high numbers you may be lucky.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was there last week and service has improved a lot. Plates and food were cleaned very quickly and even the litter that was blown over the railing was cleaned up.

With regards to LS and camping here are a few point to bear in mind. LS has demarkated camp sites and you are actually given a specific camp site. Unfortunatley either due to people doing their own thing or the fact that some of the camp site numbers are missing you might have to simply pick any site. There are a few with nice big trees, numbers 25 upwards to me looked the best although you are a distance from the loos. Numbers 1 to 24 are close to the loos and some have shade but no real big tree.
A note to LS is to plant some big trees in the camp site. I like how they have tried to screen the sites with Sickle Thorn as these do create thick screening but I had a close look and there are no trees planted that will eventually grow into nice big shade trees. All in all I had a very good camping experience there.
The renovations happening in camp look to be going well and are not creating any unplesant noises.
The hyena still roams around at night and is a bit of a problem. They said he digs under the fence to get in and it is tricky keeping him out.
All in all the camp is a gem and well worth staying there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next