Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Sand River Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:59 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The Sand River Bush Camp is a camp off the beaten track in the Kruger Park not too far from Skukuza.
It is used by staff for training purposes, but on selected weekends throughout the year it is given over to different Honorary Ranger regions or project teams to use.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:15 pm 

Hi
The camp consists of two man canvas dome tents with a couple of mattresses per tent.
Communal ablution blocks with reed surround.
Communal kitchen / food prep area.
Central braai area. No electricity - Gas & paraffin lamps only.
Some of the tents are quite close together & not very private so try & spread out if there are not too many of you. Nice tent is one on the end next to the river & fence (as you enter gate straight in front of you below the kitchen area). We saw leopard from Camp & had lions on the road just outside. Chances of seeing big 5 in that area are excellent. Birding in and around the camp is also fantastic.
Enjoy - I am sure you will have a fantastic time & looking forward to reading all about it.

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

It is a wonderful place.
It is situated on the Sand river, just before the confluence with the Sabie. Basic, rustic and yet just enough to be comfortable.
It is fenced.
Some nice Bushbuck can be seen patrolling the fence.

The only problem that I have with Sand river is that it is too close to Skukuza.
You tend to get a lot of Skukuza traffic, as soon as you get on to the tarred road.
But then, I am a wilderness junky!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I went there a year ago because we were looking at setting up something similar. It looked great!

Post subject: Re: Sand River Bush camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:46 am 

Well we have just returned from our stay at the camp it is rustic but comfortable, they have recently added more ablution facilities, the water still needs to be connected to the showers but the loo's and basins are operational. The beds in the tents were comfortable. We had lion, elephant, hyena around or walk past the camp and fresh spoor of leopard and black rhino. Purple turaco's were seen every day, at night bush-babies feeding off the Jackal berry at the bottom end of the camp from the kitchen side. All in all a nice camp. We really enjoyed our stay.

Post subject: Re: Sand River Bush camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A couple of pics of Sand River from a weekend there with the HR's in Nov, to wet the appetite....
ImageNight time visitor
ImageA visitor to the fence

Post subject: Sand River Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 pm 

Members of the East Rand Region Honorary Rangers recently assisted the Lowveld region in completing the rebuilding of Sand River Bush Camp. Apart from brand new tents on raised platforms, new vanity furniture and ablutions, the kitchen area had a facelift as well. We enlarged the store and roof area as well as moving the braai area.
Everyone who had previously been there will be amazed at the superb renovations undertaken. Without loosing the rustic atmosphere we came to love, it now displays world class standard.
Get a booking as soon as possible. :rtm:
Zaro - East Rand Honorary Rangers

Post subject: Re: Sand River Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:31 pm 

One cannot book the bush camp in your private capacity as it is not open for public bookings. But you can experience the magic, by booking a Bush camp through one of the Honorary Ranger regions.

The HRs run Sand River as a fund-raising initiative for SANParks.

Guests are treated to a three night stay. During this time they mainly do walks and some game drives. Catering is done by the HRs. It is a similar experience to that which is offered in the Trails camps in Kruger.

If you are interested you can PM me, and I will put you in contact with one of the regions who run Bush Camps out of Sand river.

Sand river is a special place ... come join us soon! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Great job East Rand and Lowveld Regions! I didn't know such a place existed. Any chance of some pics? :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Lowveld Region actually have been tasked with the maintenance and running of the camp, so I will be helping out at times. Will try to get pics when I am next there.

I confess to missing the renovation work as every time I wanted to go I was needed here for drives!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have had the privledge of being able to participate in courses from the Sand River bush camp. It is largely to blame for my current addiction. :roll: Thank you for all who have been involved with the upgrade. :clap: :clap:

I think it must have the best loo with a view in the Park :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is in a prime area - although it is within Disneylands precinct - one can feel totally removed from the playground .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Usually booked by a party of 8 people. Most camps are booked up for this year, but sometimes there are last minute cancellations.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have had the privilege of staying at Sand River Bush Camp twice.

First time November 2008 with other students and our lecturer from an environmental/wildlife course. Second time in October 2009 with a group of friends.

Both trips were wonderful. The HRs doing the entertaining were exceptional and all our guides very proficient and knowledgeable. On both occasions we were woken very early (3.30a.m on the November trip!!), had coffee and then drove for about an hour to a remote area and then walked for about 4-5 hours (including a short break for a snack and cooldrinks which we carried in back packs). We then relaxed at camp for a while before going out for an afternoon/evening drive and sundowners. Then back for a lovely dinner and early to bed!!

As someone has already said, the place gets booked up as soon as the bookings open. It is an amazing experience to be there.

I am dying to see the revamped camp, but unfortunately can't make it this year.

Best wishes to all the HRs involved.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 am 

Sand river can be compared to the trails camps such as Wolhuter, Metsi Metsi, Boesmans etc.
Sand river offers the same type of experience and activities, and are open to public booking.

The only difference is that instead of full time SANParks personnel, it is managed by the HR movement. Different HR regions apply each year for a certain number of camps.
The available time slots are then distributed amongst the regions, according to the number of camps each region is able to manage.
They then open this for bookings.
Bookings and in fact all admin is done by the region that runs that specific camp.

All the work for that camp is done by HRs including the catering and the cleaning.
Qualified Trails Guides are responsible for the activities, such as walks and game drives.

The big advantage of this system is that all the profit goes back in to SANParks projects.
There is a lot less overheads since there are no full time personnel needed to run this trails camp.

The HRs have a national committee that manages the bush camps. Lowveld Region of the HRs has taken responsibility for the upkeep of the facility, which is funded by levies paid for each camp.
This is done in close cooperation with the SANParks person responsible for the HR activities in KNP, and in consultation with the other regions.

There is no central reservation system, and each region fills their camps however they can.

As I have mentioned before, I am happy to assist anyone interested in doing such a camp, by giving them the name/s of the region and contact persons for the time slots they are interested in.
Please PM me with a date and your e-mail address.