Skip to Content

Advice needed, Camp X to Camp Y

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Driving from Punda to Tamboti in one day??

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:51 am

As MM has said it can be done but really not advisable and I would find it quite stressful as I don't enjoy driving at 50 kph in the park.
Its a pity you can't find availability at a camp between the 2 for the night and I would keep checking in the months ahead.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Agreed, it is doable, but is going to be a long drive. Look for a closer option if possible.

I do want to dispute the notion of driving at 50 k/h through the Mopani area. Mopani needs slower speeds as it is thick bush and you can easily miss nice sightings. It is also home to some of the scarce animals which you will not easily find in the South.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Are you going in June only or June/July? There are still plenty of accommodation at Letaba and suggest that as an overnight stop from Punda to Tamboti. Other option is Mopani nearly halfway with plenty of place available for June / July.

From Olifants to Punda will take about 4 - 5 hours not doing game driving speed or stopping, while from Punda to Letaba about an hour less or 6 hours sightings and stops included. You will be able to leave Punda a bit later and arrive at 14:00 at Letaba.

In winter you only have 11,5 hours making a trip to Tamboti still possible if you leave at 6 am and drive when possible at 50 km/h. This will however be a long day and maybe take as long as 9 - 10 hours with rest stops.

Part of the trip is to stop and if driving from Punda to Tamboti in one day you will miss out on the lovely picnic area and hides up north, like Babalala, Kanniedood hide, Mooiplaas, Shipandani hide and Red Rocks.

Love the far north and hope I've convinced you to stay longer. :wink:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Imberbe wrote:Agreed, it is doable, but is going to be a long drive. Look for a closer option if possible.

I do want to dispute the notion of driving at 50 k/h through the Mopani area. Mopani needs slower speeds as it is thick bush and you can easily miss nice sightings. It is also home to some of the scarce animals which you will not easily find in the South.

Seen elephants disappearing within 1 minute after crossing the road and they can come out just as quick. With limited water holes more animals crossing the road to get water from the rivers or dam in the winter months. Those buffalo herds of 400 and more can block a road for a long time when crossing.

Good chance to spot roan and eland. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Albert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:59 am

As son godin said:
Consider swopping the last night at Punda for Mopani OR (I know this is heresy...)
consider travelling outside of the park (Punda Gate to Orpen Gate): 260 - odd km in about 3.5 - 4 hours (R71/R40). I see you are already doing Olifants - Punda on the way up, so at least you won't be missing out on that section of the park. You can leave Punda at your leisure, get to Orpen just at the right time to check in for Tamboti and then still do a drive in the late afternoon.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Travelstory

Unread postby Travelstory » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Thank you all for your input! It is greatly appreciated. The reason for trying this is when we were in Kruger this June we met some fine folks who we are meeting back up with next June so we were trying to mesh our schedule with there schedule for a few days which are the Punda Maria Days. Then, we LOVE Tamboti, but there were limited options there and we just can't miss staying there.

We may play this out and try this drive.... I know it would be long!

I may not thought - we will play this out.

Thank you for the information - truly.

Dana

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:26 am

Travelstory, I understand about Tambotie. 8) It is not just a camp. It will be a focused day of travel, rather than slow meanderings... all for Tambotie.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

kssager

Re: Traveling distance in the park - have i bit of more than i can chew

Unread postby kssager » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:02 pm

We just returned from our first trip to Kruger. I will admit that I was one that thought I could cover the distances without problem....but once there we soon realized that it really does take a lot of time to travel within the park. We stayed at Croc Bridge..left at 6:30 am and arrived at Tamboti around 4 pm. However we did stop for lunch, did stop at a few look-out spots for a few minutes....only hit 1 lion traffic jam. Like others have said, you could probably do it if you got through gate first thing, and simply drove with no game viewing or stopping. But it will be a long tedious drive, and not much fun.

davystam

Re: Advice needed, Camp X to Camp Y

Unread postby davystam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58 am

Hi all, In may my girlfriend and i are going to visit Kruger Park. This is the first time we will drive our selves.
We have to travel from Berg en Dal to Lower Sabie. If i look into the time table i see a distance from Berg en Dal to Lower Sabie of 113 km. The distance from BeD to Crocodile Bridge is 149 km. What is the fastest and best game viewing road from Berg en Dal to Lower Sabie than? If i look at the map i think the Southern road is the fastest but it's weird that distance doesn't match because we would pass by Crocodile Bridge.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:38 am

davystam, the map table usually gives the shortest distance between camps and in the case of B & D to Lower Sabie it would have calculated the distance of, in my map of 119kms as using the tar road, H3 and up past Skukuza.
B & D to Croc Bridge is listed as 67kms which will be along the southern road you mention and is a dirt or unpaved road which has a lower speed limit and can take quite a bit longer than anticipated due to sightings and the nature of the road.
You can still take that route which comes out just above CB and then travel up the H4-2 towards Lower Sabie, which would be +-107 kms so slightly shorter but you would need to stop in at CB for a pit stop by then I'm pretty sure! :wink:
So whichever route you choose is really up to you and a personal choice.

Philip1
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:08 am

Agree with Elsa, Davystam. :thumbs_up:

My route would be: B & D S110 > H3 > S114 > S25 > S27 and Hippo Pools > Crocodile Bridge (Pit Stop) > H4-2 > Stops all the way :dance: > Lower Sabie. :thumbs_up:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

bosfee

Unread postby bosfee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:38 pm

hi this is what I got for next year June holiday. 1 night letaba then 2 nights tamboti then 1 night pretoruiskop and 1 night berg end dal then 2 nights lower sabie and 2 nights crocodile bridge. :hmz: do you think its to much and to over the place? staying in huts or safari tents. :wall:

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:49 pm

bosfee, you do have rather a lot of moving to do but do cover some nice areas of the park.
So as I always say, its way better than having no booking in the park! 8)

Sky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sky » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi Dana
I have done Punda Satara before and made it quite easily.
One suggestion try and move your Tambotie to Satara. That will save you some time.
Tambotie is lovely but unfortunately you have only one road to travel , around Satara you have more choices
Enjoy

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:16 am

We want to go to Punda Maria for the first time next July. My parents will join us after PM for a few nights in Olifants, and I wondered whether we would have enough time to drive to Olifants from PM, via Phalaborwa Gate, where we would meet them?

I know it is 202 kms to Phalaborwa Gate from PM, so if we left at dawn we should get there in reasonable time - hopefully even to stock up on supplies!? It would be nice to get to Olifants with an hour spare though, as rushing and Kruger are two things that don't work together!

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Karoo National Park 07/04/2015 - 11/04/2015

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”