SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Berg-En-Dal: Vervet Monkey.
Skukuza: Vervet Monkey, Bushbaby, Warthog.
Phabeni Gate: Wildebeest, Impala.
Afsaal Picnic Spot: Wildebeest.
Tshokwane Picnic Spot: Vervet Monkey, Chamca Baboon.
Nkuhlu Picnic Spot: Vervet Monkey

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:08 pm 

Vervet, impala - pretoriuskop
rhino , bushbuck , croc , waterbuck , tree squirrel - berg en dal (outside fence)
hyena on table - afsaal
lion just outside afsaal
warthog - skukuza
hyena in garden of house we were staying in ( skukuza - staff village - 5 minutes after finishing braai )
leopard in camp - hwange
spitting cobra in camp - pilanesberg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:00 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Letaba: Bushbucks, Lesser Bushbaby.
Satara: Fighting bushbabies. (Eyes only.)
Olifants: Squirrels and Vervets galore.
Lower Sabie: Only a kill.
Punda: Rain spider, unidentified crickets.
And in all camps plenty birds.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
I started this thread for animals INSIDE camps.

Most of us have seen good stuff FROM camps, but please stick to that within the camps.

What camps have you SEEN animals inside

Shall I change the title to Animals Inside Camps?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:17 pm 

My son and I had been on a late game drive from Satara. We walked back to the camp sites from the reception. As we walked I noticed three hyaena appearing to be tracking us in the hutted area C I think. As we walked I could see them, then a hut would block the view. You should have heard the sigh of relief when I saw them stop to clean out a braai and dustbin outside one of the huts.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Talking to yourself Gwen?

I've seen:

Cape Fox, Bat-eared fox and African Wildcat in Twee Rivieren
Jackals in Nossob
Bushbuck in Letaba (but then again who hasn't)
Ververts and baboons in most KNP camps

Post subject: Animals inside camps
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:22 pm 
My family and I (and Other Animals) were staying in Letaba, camping near the fence around 1996.

Very late one night I was awoken by a little scuffling amongst the coolers outside. Peering through the tent flap I saw a HUGE hyena investigating. It ran off in surprise.

Minutes later it was back, going about its business. This time I charged out (If one can do that from a zipped tent in the dark), and addressed the culprit in no uncertain terms, using the best Queen's English.

The bitch, (if that is the right term) had backed into a lala palm thicket and was not particularly impressed by my sermon. We could clearly see each other in the very bright moonlight.

My mother told me to shut up so I put the coolers on a table and retired, thinking this would solve the problem.

What followed was a truly amazing example of the strength of these animals:

The hyena returned much later, and I was once again awoken by a relatively quiet sound. She had somehow gently picked up the cooler from the metre-high table, grabbing the lid using only ONE upper and ONE lower canine! (We saw this from the puncture marks the next day.)

The cooler was one of the biggest Colemans, filled to the brim with frozen meat. It must have weighed at least 20 kg's, and I struggled to lift it with my arms, never mind my teeth!

It is still performing sterling service to this day.

This time I put everything into the tent, even the beer cooler, and that was that.

Following numerous complaints, the hyena was ambushed the following evening by camp staff at the hole she had made in the fence, and killed. Just became too used to humans, I guess.

Richprins

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Croc Bridge Camp - Baboon, Vervet, Genet

Skukuza - Honey Badger, banded mongoose, Hyaena, Baboon and Vervets, Bushbabies, Leguwaan

Biyamiti - Leopard, Genet, Squirrels

B & D - Baboon, Vervets

Lower Sabie - Elephant, Lion, Baboon, Vervets

Nkhulu - Lion, Elephant, baboons, vervets and leguwaan

Tshokwane - Leopard, vervets, baboons

Satara - Honey badger, mongoose, baboon, Vervets, Warthog, Impala

Olifants - Squirrels, Baboons, Impala

Letaba - Bushbuck and Impala

Balule - Hyaena

Mopane - Impala, Leguwaan

Twee Rivieren - Yellow Mongoose, Squirrels

Nossob - Yellow Mongoose, Squirrels, Jackal

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Just a gentle warning... About two weeks ago a Hyaena roamed around in Lower Sabie camp... If it is still at large, make sure all the stuff you don't want chewed up in to unusuable pieces are being put away.

If you don't like your kids or if they don't wanna listen to you... let 'em sleep outside. :twisted:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Wild about cats wrote:
Which brings us to the question,
Is it safe to wander around in the camps with animals like hyaena, with the strongest jaws in all of Africa, doing the same?
There have also been cases of leopard wandering around, which makes it worse....

Chances are extremely slim that you will end up as cat or dog chow and to be honest... one will never be able to keep animals out of camps. No matter what.

The odd oke will get a chomp on the head or backside, but no tourist have ever been killed by an animal in a camp. So don;t stress too much.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Penny wrote:

TR: Hyena (?) Not sure, I was too tired to realize early morning...anyhow it had 4 legs and was walking -
TR: Looked like a huge black garbage bag just in front of my chalet - Disappeared w/in one second to the next - never found out, what it was, it had ears anyhow :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I was sleeping outside the tent in Lower Sabie in the early 2000's. A Lioness came into the camp and could've easily had a "W™ enbrochette" if she really wanted to. I am sure she must have wandered past me a couple of times as I laid snoring my babbelas butt away.

She opted for all the garbage bins instead. I think I was mighty lucky that day.

A lion was shot and killed in Shingwedzi picnic area.

Okes were pulled from their cozy sleeping bags in Satara by hyaena. :lol: Understandably unpset by the whole deal. :lol: :lol:

A dude was chomped on the head by a leopard not too long ago in Berg-n-Dal. He had a good number of stitches to get his scalp back onto his head. But he survived. As soon as he screamed the dappled one oozed away into the darkness.

Many other incidents occured in camps. Johann Oelofse had to tear a leopard from his neck in Mopani camp once.

The gate keeper @ Shingwedzi was eaten by a leopard inside his room.

Kotie (forgive me for forgetting her surname) and a small schoolboy fell victim to leapards in Skukuza staff villiage, which occupants are aware of being accessible to any wild animal and treat it with respect and caution.

Bottom line is, leopards are just too darn opportunistic. If they think they can get to you, they most probably will. Lions undergo a complete turnaround come nightfall. Hyaenas will eat anything.

Don't be stupid and listen to warnings. For instance: Don't walk alone @ night along the BnD's Matjulu dam front fence. Read the warning sign there if you don't believe me.

Try and walk with a partner(preferably a slower one then yourself) @ night. Carry a torch cause chances are better that you might stomp onto a nightadder. And for goodness sake, don't sleep walk. If I have to catch one more oke pretending to pour fuel into my car @ 3am in his sleep I will make it look like a hyaena got hold of him. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes, it really happened. :lol: Bloody idiot! :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Wild about cats wrote:
Bush Baptist wrote:
An old female leopard was shot inside Letaba within the year, and it was going for the bushbuck not humans.

Last year, friends saw a leopard take down a bushbuck at the Timbavati picnic site, not a small child.

As long as you stand tall, a hyena will keep its distance - which is about 4 metres.

What if there are no bushbuck? :lol:

There are still a few and they appear to be breeding.

I have always walked around camps with the feeling of safety, although I respect the fact that I am in a wild place. The incidents Wtm has listed do not mean it is dangerous in camps, but one should be alert to the possibilities, and maybe be prepared.

I walked the Matjulu dam fence last August at sunset, about 18h00 - 18h30, and it looked secure, in fact some infortunate found out that the electric fence is very effective, although I heard noises coming from bush in a 'valley' in front of some chalets inside the camp.
What is the danger, WTM?

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Bush Baptist wrote:
What is the danger, WTM?

I can't say for sure but the sign reads clearly that one walks the perimeter fence @ night on own risk.

Leopards have been a problem @ this camp before.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:12 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Wild about cats wrote:
The whole page makes me feel uneasy,
and WTM, You gotta stop oversharing... :roll:

:lol: :lol: See what happens if you swear @ me in Wilderness? :twisted: :twisted:

Im not trying to make anyone feel uncomfy. I just think that these stories should be known. It is no secret anyways as I have read about it on numerous occasions.

But just think that with the amount of folks visiting Kruger, no visitor ever succumbed to a wild animal, except to the malaria mozzie and in dozens.

Just don't do anything stupid. I've seen many people dissapearing into the dark for some "extra-murial" activities. Exciting and romantic, yes, but it might be the night you get your fun cut short. Yes, I do stoopid things too, but I like for instance to sleep outside the tent for the shear adventure and adrenaline rush of it. I like walking around the camp @ night looking for owls and snakes. I know the risks but I am still willing to take it.

I once stumbled into a dagha boy @ Lower Sabie, he was on the outside of the fence but nevertheless... I don't know which one of us 2 left behind the biggest compos heap. Animals have a natural fear for humans... It is when they lose that fear, often caused by numbnuts feeding animals that they associate humans with food and start getting "dangeroos". It is then when they get their permanent departure papers stamped by the ranger.

Enjoy the camp life... enjoy the animal life in it. Its very seldom that you will encounter something capable of making your stomach turn. Know the rules and read the signs. As long as you do that you have very little to fear. Pity... cause I love the adventure associated with something big and hairy walking past your nose. I would love an unfenced camp in Kruger, thats also why I am tempted to go on the Olifants backpack trail. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next