Skip to Content

Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
naomi

Re: Tamboti Trips

Unread postby naomi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 am

The tents are fine as far as I remember. It is just in the more secluded tents (the pull out couch) that is most uncomfortable. As for the leopard. I have never seen it inside the camp (I dont walk around at night), but, I've seen the leopard on 3 occassions just next to the fence OUTSIDE the camp IN THE RIVER BED. The resident troop of baboons usually sees him/her first and signals alarm calls. Therefore, you will know if the leopard is there or not. But, don't just count on the baboons. The trees around this camp is easy for the leopard to climb into and over fence. BUT, dont let this 'put anyone off'. If you are vigilent, don't walk around after dark alone, this camp is the best kept secret of Kruger. It is NOT for the feint hearted though. Keep your wits about you, and keep your ears and eyes open. I honestly feel like I am alone in the bush when staying at Tambotie, with the luxury of a tent and these tents are built on wooden stilts so it is a bit off the ground. It is an unforgetable experience to stay there.

Richprins

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Hut 30 encircled, for some reason! :tongue:

uMkhombe

Re: Tamboti Trips

Unread postby uMkhombe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Goafrica,

Tent 18 & 19 are both 4-bed tents and their views are great.

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Very intriguing post, ndloti! :shock:

Here's the 'bathroom" in the luxury tents...very larney indeed! :thumbs_up:

No toilet pic...

TINY

Unread postby TINY » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Hello Mites.

I just got back from a 3 night stay at Tamboti and it was absolutely AWESOME. :thumbs_up:

You can read all about it here. :thumbs_up:

www.sanparks.org//forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48027&sid=99541ef19da100310c9f69964551ec17

AWESOME TAMBOTI 3 NIGHTER

The name of the topic says it all. :dance:

Hi Bush Baptist, I must agree with you on taking the H7 towards Satara. It produced some excellent sightings. :big_eyes:
A.K.T.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Both of my informants tell me that 19 , 20 & 21 all offer good views , 20 being the best as it is situated slightly forward from the neighbours thus you do not see them easily unless you look backwards in their direction .

Edit : 20 being the best tent in my informants opinions .
Last edited by ndloti on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

TINY

Unread postby TINY » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello Anja.

Totally agree with Ndloti. If you are staying in a CTT 2 or CTT 4 you should book unit no 19, 20 or 21. 21 having the best view. :thumbs_up:

If you are booking the LST 3 units then unit no 40 is just AWESOME. :thumbs_up:
A.K.T.

goafrica

Unread postby goafrica » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi, we stayed in 18 & 19 this year. Both had great views The bushes out side 18 had been cut back I think. I can confirm that you cannot see number 20 from 19, as its a little bit round the corner.

Do take care with your foodstuffs.....keep everything in the fridge and take a lugage strap or a rope to tie the fridge closed. Dont leave ANY windows open, or the door. The monkeys are very attracted to brown paper bags whatevr is inside, so dont leave souvenirs etc where they can see the bag!!

The monkeys are super intelligent, so they can figure out pretty quickly if you are going to be firm and not let them get to stuff, that and a few warning pebbles thrown in their general direction and they get the message.

A large thermos flask is a huge help with hot water at tamboti, or an elecric kettle if you have a little one!

Have a great time.
Just back.......now a whole year to wait till August 2011! I cant bear it.
EVERY DAY IN EVERY WAY I LOVE KRUGER MORE AND MORE

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby TheunsH » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 pm

cathyb wrote: We're going to ask for Tent 40 but, failing that, any ideas for which other tent would be good?
Thanks

Cathyb, we stayed in Tamboti a few months ago a and if number 40 is not available go for number 34...very nice and bit separate from the rest! :thumbs_up:

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby TheunsH » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Yes Cathy it has plenty of shade. We have stayed in number 33 which is very close to number 32, but number 34 is a bit separate from number 33, close to the fence and I couldn't see number 35 at the other side! So I think it is a good option! :thumbs_up:

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby naomi c » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:56 am

A few photo's (for future reference) of tent no 14 where we had a thouroughly enjoyable 3 nights at the end of December 2010.

Walkway to no 14:

View:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:03 pm

BushKrazy wrote:Hi AllI have a night booked at Tamboti in June this year. Any recommendations as to what number I should try and request? I have an LST3 booked. How do I go about requesting a specific tent. Usually stay at the main rest camps, so looking forward to staying in a quieter satellite. Was hesitant at first but judging from some of the comments I have done the right thing in booking a stay at Tamboti. :dance:

I would recommend # 40 which is the last tent at the far end of the camp alongside the boundary fence , which is about 2 metres from the stairs to the deck on which the tent is situated .

Phone the camp and request a contact person to whom you could fax your request .

PHILIP/ALET wrote:Hi everyone! Enjoy it. Can not wait, will be in the Park 23/04/2011 for 33 days!!

Welcome to the forum ! 33 days at Tamboti ?
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Quite a cost difference between the standard and luxury tents. Are the luxury tens worth the extra, or are the communal facilities abundant enough?
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm

In my opinion the communal facilities are good enough .
The LST 3 units are larger , and if you want to total privacy they are the war to go .

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:48 am

I agree with that Forest :thumbs_up:

I have always found the communal ablutions to be very clean and well serviced. I do advise people to make sure that they take a flask if they enjoy more than one cup of coffee in the morning. The kitchen area is rather far from some of the tents.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”