Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 am

Yes, a super camp. The options for roads are somewhat limited, but for me the beauty of the area and the everchanging ecozones make up for it. Sometimes it is quiet, but when the game is out, you will be saturated with sightings. :D
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:18 am

RondaGreen, I have seen malaria medication disappearing in the same way. I think the same about ricecakes though. :lol: A vervet with a discerning palate.

June is a good month for lions. I do wish you a wonderful stay. I do rather envy you.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

angiek

Unread postby angiek » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:57 am

We spent 4 nights here last week. What a lovely camp, unfortunately somebody thought they could make better use of my tablecloth than I could and took it (definitely not monkey/baboon) as the lamp that was on the table was still upright on the table when we returned from a drive!! :(

We had the badgers visit us every night and on the last night the genet make an appearance as well :D

We went on our first night drive, previously just gone on sunset drives, and saw 3 lionesses with 4 cubs lying in the tar road and on the return trip 4 male lions also lying on the tar road.

Unfortunately we missed the wild dogs but saw the posts on the sightings board :(

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 am

Angiek I am glad that you have had a good time in Tamboti, not good about your table cloth that disappeared though.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks to all for advice. I have booked myself in for three nights at Tamboti, and will book a sunset drive from Orpen on my second night (I've heard their night drives are very good, but they only seem to have sunset drives available at that time). I then move to Satara for 3 nights (especially hoping to see lion prides), Lower Sabie for 1, Pretorioskop (which is one I've never been to before, and seems quite a different habitat) for 3 nights, then Skukuza, from which I'll head to a tourism conference near Paul Kruger gate. Very much looking forward to it.
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Sounds like great trip you've got planned there RondaGreen! :thumbs_up: We visited Tamboti last year in June, and I also got some great advice here on this thread. Let me just warn you - it can get really cold there in winter. I was warned, but never thought we'd be that cold. So just to give you a word of advice - take the warm stuff with - you might just need it!

We took a night drive from there - and had a beautiful serval sighting. A lovely camp, and good area. Hope you enjoy it!
13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
14-15 Dec 2015 - Grootkolk
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob
17-18 Dec 2015 - Mata Mata
19 Dec 2015 - Twee Rivieren

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:39 am

Thanks for the temperature warning. Do you think I need to bring a sleeping bag or would warm clothing be enough? Maybe the clothes I wore in the snow in Poland years ago? Maybe a hot water bottle? I'll be heading to the alpine regions of the Drakensbergs for a second conference (frugivory and seed dispersal) before heading home so was planning to bring warm clothes for there.

(and I hope whoever lost their malaria tablets to the monkeys didn't get bitten by mosquitos!)
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:08 am

Hello there RondaGreen.

Firstly, let me wish you a life affirming experience.

I am going to start by admitting that I am sensitive to cold.

I have been on many night drives, sundowner drives and early morning drives when going to the wilderness camps. I have learned to respect the rules of changing temperatures.

The temperatures drop very suddenly in June. A warm balmy day does not mean a pleasant night on an open vehicle.

Keep your extremities as warm as possible. Warm gloves, scarf, good head covering, and I wear thermal socks and underwear. I also layer my clothing. A polar neck helps, the best jacket you have and possibly something to cover your nose.

My coldest night was in Tambotie. My car thermometer registered minus six. That was once the sun had risen.

I love the camp, I would never not go there, regardless of the extremes. Just be prepared and you will have marvelous memories.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi Rondagreen

If you are going into the Drakensberg, I am sure you will have enough warm clothing for Tamboti... sometimes it is actually not too cold in July, even pleasant when the cold fronts haven't arrived from the Cape.
We simply take along a SMALL heater (R139 from any supermarket) and switch it on in the tent for an hour before going to bed. Usually keeps things OK till about 3 am. Go for a leak and leave it on till you are back (walking in camp at night is GREAT, but scary).
My wife gets cold very easily, and she hasn't complained since I started doing this...
Hope you have a wonderful time!
When at Pretoriuskop, ask at reception where the 3 leopard cubs were seen last... should be quite big by now.
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:45 pm

:D Friedrich - that SMALL heater is just a MUST for any tent, Tamboti or Lower Sabie. I never go without mine and it keeps everyone in a good mood - especially early morning wake up time :D

Leana

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Is it a small fan type heater , not the red hot bar heater that you use?

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks again. Should I be able to pick up a small heater from the Pick n Pay in Hazyview? It doesn't quite seem real yet that I'll actually be n Tamboti in just over six weeks from now, but I have started packing (including plenty of warm clothes, Kruger maps and books on South African wildlife)

Lion cubs at Pretorioskop! I'll certainly be asking about them!

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:49 am

With baboons and honey badgers around, would it best be best to leave all food that doesn't need a fridge inside the boot of the car? Or could rodents get into it then? I'll have a small Chevrolet or similar from Hertz, and I've had rodents get into cars here in Australia. Inside the car in a sturdy plastic storage box with lid perhaps?

Any tips for walking to the facilities at night? (obviously using a strong torch, checking ground and bushes, and staying alert to all rustlings and other noises). I'm accustomed to watching for snakes when walking in the bush at night in Australia (is a June night too cold for them anyway? It would be for most of ours), not accustomed to coming across honey badgers or warthogs, and wondering what else I could encounter. I'd actually love to see some of the nocturnal creatures - bushbabies, genets etc.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi again Ronda! I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get a small fan heater at the Pick n Pay. Especially as it will be winter and they are cheap - sold by most Pick n Pays. When we went to Tamboti we had similar temperatures to Meandering Mouse. We wore beanies, scarves, buffs, gloves, thermal underwear and me and the SO spooned while our little heater blew all night. We were still cold. But yes - we are also cold sensitive, and it does depend on the weather of the days you are there.

As for walking to the ablutions etc at night - it sounds like you are smart enough. Take a torch, look out for creepy crawlers and snakes and things (although I'm also sure they're inactive at those temperatures). You will most likely see the badgers before you walk into them. They are wild, and will probably run away from you once they see you. Just keep your distance, they should keep theirs.

You can keep your goods in a well closed plastic container in your tent too in my opinion. Just not where the monkeys can reach or see it. Or in the boot of the car.

I'm sure you are so excited - and you should be - it is probably going to be awesome!
13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
14-15 Dec 2015 - Grootkolk
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob
17-18 Dec 2015 - Mata Mata
19 Dec 2015 - Twee Rivieren

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:29 am

Bushbuddies has given sound advice.

You will probably find that a lot of people are searching the trees with their torches before they retire to bed. It has such a special atmosphere.

Tents 1-4 are the furthest from the ablutions. If you wish, you can request one of the closer tents.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”