Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
granny wrote:
Could anyone give me some advice on a good location number for one of the 4 man tents at Tamboti? I know that 22 had a good view, but did the floods change this ? I would like to be fairly close to the ablution block.
(bang broek me) :redface:

Any help would be appreciated.

granny, I am not sure if this is going to help you much but I think the tents with the higher numbers are close to the abultions, we were in tent number 3 (4 sleeper) and it was a long walk to the bathrooms, I would say numbers 10 - 14 would be a good choice :pray: :pray:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 am 
Guru
Guru

Wildkyker wrote:
Hi Guys.
Can anyone give some indication on how long before I can make a request for a spesefic tent and to whom I can mail the request?
I have tried the tinyiko.mtsetwane@sabparks.org adress but did not get any reply.

Thanx

Dear WildKyker

Please note that the email address for Tinyiko is tinyiko.mtsetwene@sanparks.org or alternatively you can call him on 013 735 6355. The email address that you used was incorrect.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 pm 

Hello Guys

They are all very accommodating, we where allocated no 22 last month already.

Best to speak to Dion Khoza

He is the duty manager for orpen / tamboti

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I emailed Tinyiko late yesterday afternoon, and there was a reply waiting in my inbox this morning. I mailed him again, and had a reply within 10 minutes. Kudos to Tinyiko for being very professional and accommodating. It's a pleasure to deal with people like this :)

CTT2 tents 8 & 9 reserved for September :dance: :dance: :dance:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi!
Well there is most definitely honey badger and large spotted genet which will visit. Then we had a mongoose family around most days which was very entertaining.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Gilbertr14 wrote:
Hello Guys

Is anyone aware of any resident owls and other wildlife in the camp?

We had a number of visits from Mr Honey Badger at night and the spotted genet was also a regular visitor, on two occassions we also spotted the "resident" leopard outside the gates when leaving on early morning game drives (between 5 and 5.30 am in July 2012).

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm 

This is a great camp for resident animals and birds. You would have to be pretty "unlucky" not to have the honey badger stomp up the stairs, stomp across the verandah and attemp to shoulder charge the cupboards and bin open....while you lie there telling your self that it's just a hb !

We heard lions constantly and leopard sporadically all 3 nights (July '12). The genets and mongooses were visitors - including a bloodcurdling fight (or make out session) under the tent; and ellies were feeding on the fence line.

When me and SO went for our normal post dinner camp stroll, we had to walk right past the fence line that a whole herd of ellies were feeding at and to be honest we chickened out :redface: as the noise of branches breaking and the tummies rumbling as they communicated with each other was a bit much in the pitch black only a few metres from us....

I loved this camp ! 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm 

Hi Scops

Thanks for the advice. I think we will do just that.

Hi there BB

We looking forward to it. Here is a pick of an AWC sitting down to have dinner with us at Satara last year.

Unfortunately we only catered for 2, so nothing for this little fellow.

During our very civil dinner, a HB raided our neighbour. Took a steak off the table, causing the whole table to fall over with everything on it, then bolted across the circle with a steak in its mouth.

So we have no complaints about our uninvited guest.

Looking forward to the critters of Tamboti :P

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hi

I'm a huuge fan of Kruger but have never stayed at any of the smaller camps before :roll: So I'm looking for all the advice I can get on Tamboti. Here's the plan and hopefully someone will be help me out :pray:
So I'm planning a trip in September to Kruger and would love to stay in Tamboti but I'm just a bit worried abut a few thing. I'm planning on going with someone who isn't very rugged if you know what I mean. They don't mind the bush but just need electricity, clean ablutions and that kind of stuff... We're planning on getting 1 of the 4 sleeper (CTT4) tents and I know it has electricity and ablution blocks available but is the camp so overly bush style that they won't feel safe at night? Like for example is it safe to go to the toilets at night? Also I heard there are no rangers there at night, is this true and if so what happens if some animal does get in? :hmz: Just want to reassure you that we love Kruger and the whole vibe but just a bit worried about safety, so if that's not an issue then it sounds like an AWESOME camp!!
Secondly I will be traveling from JHB, whats the best way to get there, how long is it and are the roads good on the way (i.e no crazy pothles :wall: )?
Also whats the sightings generally like in that area? I must admit I'm a massive cat and dog fan :whistle: so is this area generally good for that stuff?
Lastly if we do end up going (hopefully I'll get my way and we will :pray:) which CTT4 tent is the best in terms of a clear view of the riverbed and distance from the ablutions?
Any advice is hugely appreciated and thanks in advance!! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Lol. Sorry Jack101.

The ablutions are (usually) very clean.
Electricity no problem.
Timid people might not seel safe at night. Especially if the honey badger raids your bin, and the baboons pay a daytime visit.
I have never felt unsafe walking around at night, but I take my torch. There is a lot of bush around and no rangers either, so if some animal gets in, anything can happen, as there are quite a few inside already.

The bottom line is 'When last did you hear of somebody being attacked at Tam'.

Go and enjoy it. Don't mess with the badger, and take a hockey stick with you to the loo for security. The only attack you will probably get is from a mozzy.

Otherwise if you can afford to fly me up from the Cape I will be your bodyguard. Africa is not for sissies. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Jack101, we stayed in Tamboti in July 2012,we were in tent number 3. We never ever felt unsafe but when walking to the bathroom we did walk a little fast because it was very dark late at night. All you need is a good torch (handheld or head torch). The bathrooms were very clean and hot water was never a problem. The tent was cleaned everyday and towels were replaced everyday. The honey badger and genet visited us many times but they were not a threat at all. Baboons ransacked our neighbours tent one afternoon because they left food in the tent. We never had problems with baboons or monkeys because our food was put away.

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
We will be in Tamboti over Christmas, in July 2012 we stayed in tent number 3 and it was very pleasant, so we decided to ask for tent number 1 this time around. I know it is a pretty far walk to the bathrooms/kitchen but we got the feeling that it is a little bit more isolated than the rest of the tents. Christmas is a special time of the year and what better place to spend it in than in the Kruger, anybody have any thoughts on tent number 1 ? :hmz: :hmz:

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
We stayed in no 1 once, and your assessment is correct.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:46 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
We have also enjoyed tent no. 1. Just remember that it can get pretty dark, especially if the moon is around new moon or it is overcast, and that there is a lot of bush - sometimes close - when you walk to the ablutions, which are relatively far away. In fact, unsure of what might be lurking there in the dead of night, we have sometimes opted to drive to the ablutions.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:06 am 

Last time in Tamboti I made a trip to the ablutions at 01:00. There was no moon and it was pitch black. I must have had the tent furthest from the ablution block but the trip there was uneventful. I can't say the same for the journey on the way back.

Walking back and full of bravado, my headlamp fell upon a pair of eyes looking my way. I did not run. I did not shout, but I made speed walking a new activity.

Needless to say, I ignored the call of nature at 04:30 and this August I have booked a stay in one of the luxury tents.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next