Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi Scops

Thanks for the advice. I think we will do just that.

Hi there BB

We looking forward to it. Here is a pick of an AWC sitting down to have dinner with us at Satara last year.

Unfortunately we only catered for 2, so nothing for this little fellow.

During our very civil dinner, a HB raided our neighbour. Took a steak off the table, causing the whole table to fall over with everything on it, then bolted across the circle with a steak in its mouth.

So we have no complaints about our uninvited guest.

Looking forward to the critters of Tamboti :P
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Jack101

Unread postby Jack101 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi

I'm a huuge fan of Kruger but have never stayed at any of the smaller camps before :roll: So I'm looking for all the advice I can get on Tamboti. Here's the plan and hopefully someone will be help me out :pray:
So I'm planning a trip in September to Kruger and would love to stay in Tamboti but I'm just a bit worried abut a few thing. I'm planning on going with someone who isn't very rugged if you know what I mean. They don't mind the bush but just need electricity, clean ablutions and that kind of stuff... We're planning on getting 1 of the 4 sleeper (CTT4) tents and I know it has electricity and ablution blocks available but is the camp so overly bush style that they won't feel safe at night? Like for example is it safe to go to the toilets at night? Also I heard there are no rangers there at night, is this true and if so what happens if some animal does get in? :hmz: Just want to reassure you that we love Kruger and the whole vibe but just a bit worried about safety, so if that's not an issue then it sounds like an AWESOME camp!!
Secondly I will be traveling from JHB, whats the best way to get there, how long is it and are the roads good on the way (i.e no crazy pothles :wall: )?
Also whats the sightings generally like in that area? I must admit I'm a massive cat and dog fan :whistle: so is this area generally good for that stuff?
Lastly if we do end up going (hopefully I'll get my way and we will :pray:) which CTT4 tent is the best in terms of a clear view of the riverbed and distance from the ablutions?
Any advice is hugely appreciated and thanks in advance!! :D

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Lol. Sorry Jack101.

The ablutions are (usually) very clean.
Electricity no problem.
Timid people might not seel safe at night. Especially if the honey badger raids your bin, and the baboons pay a daytime visit.
I have never felt unsafe walking around at night, but I take my torch. There is a lot of bush around and no rangers either, so if some animal gets in, anything can happen, as there are quite a few inside already.

The bottom line is 'When last did you hear of somebody being attacked at Tam'.

Go and enjoy it. Don't mess with the badger, and take a hockey stick with you to the loo for security. The only attack you will probably get is from a mozzy.

Otherwise if you can afford to fly me up from the Cape I will be your bodyguard. Africa is not for sissies. :whistle:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Jack101, we stayed in Tamboti in July 2012,we were in tent number 3. We never ever felt unsafe but when walking to the bathroom we did walk a little fast because it was very dark late at night. All you need is a good torch (handheld or head torch). The bathrooms were very clean and hot water was never a problem. The tent was cleaned everyday and towels were replaced everyday. The honey badger and genet visited us many times but they were not a threat at all. Baboons ransacked our neighbours tent one afternoon because they left food in the tent. We never had problems with baboons or monkeys because our food was put away.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 am

We will be in Tamboti over Christmas, in July 2012 we stayed in tent number 3 and it was very pleasant, so we decided to ask for tent number 1 this time around. I know it is a pretty far walk to the bathrooms/kitchen but we got the feeling that it is a little bit more isolated than the rest of the tents. Christmas is a special time of the year and what better place to spend it in than in the Kruger, anybody have any thoughts on tent number 1 ? :hmz: :hmz:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 am

We stayed in no 1 once, and your assessment is correct.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:46 am

We have also enjoyed tent no. 1. Just remember that it can get pretty dark, especially if the moon is around new moon or it is overcast, and that there is a lot of bush - sometimes close - when you walk to the ablutions, which are relatively far away. In fact, unsure of what might be lurking there in the dead of night, we have sometimes opted to drive to the ablutions.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby mizzbee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:06 am

Last time in Tamboti I made a trip to the ablutions at 01:00. There was no moon and it was pitch black. I must have had the tent furthest from the ablution block but the trip there was uneventful. I can't say the same for the journey on the way back.

Walking back and full of bravado, my headlamp fell upon a pair of eyes looking my way. I did not run. I did not shout, but I made speed walking a new activity.

Needless to say, I ignored the call of nature at 04:30 and this August I have booked a stay in one of the luxury tents.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

Gilbertr14

Unread postby Gilbertr14 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:50 pm

We just spent 8 nights there.

The walk to the loo is no biggie.
Wide roads, and quiet surroundings.

That's if the honey badger lets you off the veranda...

But even that was 5 minutes before he shot off to find fresher dustbins.

Gilbertr14

Unread postby Gilbertr14 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

I woke up at 10 to 4 to the call of nature and the rustling of plastic bags.

I quickly found half the tent awake. Wifey need to go the loo as well, and had been lying in bed listening to the noises outside.

I delegated wifey to go and look.

We found one of the Ratels munching away on our supper leftovers.
Wifey accompanied me as we stood on the verandah looking at the Ratel scavenging away, wondering how we going to get past. He was briefly accompanied by a second Ratel. Apparently the neighbours saw three the night before.

I decided that I had waited enough, and walked down the stairs. The Ratel, turned and stormed the stairs, growling at us. This found me back on the top stair rethinking my strategy, wife peering over my shoulder, doing the wee wee dance. Luckily he left 5 minutes later, and I could accompany wifey to the loo.

He was only there 2 of the 7 nights we where there.

Some nights we even took the rubbish bag with us and dumped it in the recycling bin, as those bins are next to the showers.
He would open our dustbin, look, find it empty, and run off to the next tent. Peace and quiet.............

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:22 am

When we stayed in tent number 3 last July, the honey badger would come around while we were still sitting around the braai but he/she wouldn't get very close, I think he/she was just checking out things before the next visit which was usually between 4 and 5 am. He/she would lean against the bin and then just give it a big push and then it would come crashing down. Ours was always empty because the dirt was in a plastic bag in our tent and when we went to shower I dumped the dirt in the bins close to the bathrooms/kitchen area.

Dup

Unread postby Dup » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 pm

KirstyL wrote:Hi guys,

I have a CTT2 tent booked at Tamboti in November. Just wondering if anyone could advise on the best number in terms of views from the tent and proximity to the ablution block. Many thanks!

Our choice is no 24, near ablution block and after the floods a open view to the river. Yes the dogs is one of the 1st things one love to see, but personally , the male pride around the H 7 is one for the bucket list.
SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

NO to frackers products

Lone Bull trail here we come-April 2015

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:57 pm

So, will be in Tamboti for the first time.

Its only for 1 night (hopefully about 3 next year) but for now; How cold does it get at night and early morning? We will be there in the first week of September.

we always go in September, and have experience every single kind of weather imaginable, so may, Do the tents offer any insulation at all is probably a better question?
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Leaping Lizards.

Tambotie is on a river bed, so it can be a few degrees colder than elsewhere at night.

I have experienced extreme cold once. I think it was in August. They do supply extra blankets, but if you are sensitive to cold make sure that you have something really warm to put on. I am sensitive to cold, so I tend to be very careful.

Most times I have found a warm jersey enough.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:20 am

Leaping Lizards, we stayed in Tamboti over July 2013, it was cold BUT we used 2 blankets on the bed and we wore warm pyjamas and at night sitting outside I had to wear a jacket as well as a hat because I don't like having cold ears. The tent was chilly but it was insulated against the wind, just be prepared for cold and warm weather

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”