Skip to Content

Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Pjw wrote:@ Pucelou as far as I can remember All the bungalows have river views so it shouldn't be a problem

No, that is not the case. Some actually face away from the river. All (except 1) do face the outside fence, so no matter where you stay, you have a wonderful experience of nature. Also, no matter where you are in the camp it is no more than 2 minutes walk to the river.

I love CB. It is a small, intimate camp.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

annalie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby annalie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:44 pm

pucelou wrote:
Otherwise , any idea of the best bungalow to pick? (we have a BD3 bungalow).
thanks to you all.

Pucelou you can't do better than number 9! It is in the corner, so bush and river view on two sides as seen from your verandah and braai/barbeque facilities and it has 3 beds.
Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch

Elsa

Re: Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 am

The guides /ranger's name at Hippo Pools is Daniel and as Dotdan says he is certainly there every weekday, unless ill or on leave.

He can take you for a little walk down to the river, always very interesting. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:17 pm

We got back from Croc Bridge yesterday. We camped right behind tent number 7.

We had an awesome 7 nights. The area is currently very dry and dusty. The Crocodile River still has a fair amountof water but the dams and streams in the area are all empty. We came across Daniel (the ranger at Hippo Pools) on the S25 and he asked us for a lift to get passed a huge bufallo herd. He sat inside the car and held onto his bicycle through the window, much to the amusement of other visitors!

Wildlife in the area in spectacular, particularly on the tar road between CB and Lower Sabie and also on the S28. Giraffe and white rhino are plentiful.

The camp is small and delightful although one is so close to the edge of Kruger. One sees the farms on the oppposite side of the Crocodile River on parts of teh S28 and there is considerable development on the other side of the river along the S25 (Marloth Park and farms).

I highly recommend this camp as a gateway to the southern parts of the park Komatipoort is within easy reach (a 5 minute drive) from the camp for shopping or banking (the park shops are a rip off I think, cold drinks are almost 2x the price of those at shops outside the park!).

There is currently construction on the low water bridge across the river but this is not disrupting at all. Traffic through the gate is not a bother at all (the camp serves as a gate). There are plans to move the gate away from the camp.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Penny » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Foxy has sent this picture to me clearly showing the new construction washed away. She also sent an sms this morning that the Hon. Rangers were walking the queue this morning at Croc Bridge to allow those with reservations and/or permits through first. On Saturday the guard at the gate walked the queue and allowed anyone with a caravan or trailer through as he obviously presumed they had reservations. Foxy said this has helped tremendously and we just cannot understand why it was not implemented a long time ago! Maybe the feeling is that some effort has to be seen to be made to justify the hefty charge of R20 per person per day for a permit!

NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

soc283

Crocodile Bridge

Unread postby soc283 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi all
I dont know if this is the right place but I need some advice.

I am going to the KNP in November for 3 days. I am a wheelchair user and I am staying at Crocodile Bridge.

Can people please give me an idea of the activities I should do while I am there...I have already thought about a Sunset Drive Tour, but what else?

Cheers for any help

bert

Re: Wheelchair user staying at Crocodile Bridge

Unread postby bert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi and welcome :thumbs_up:
20 x 2 or 3-bed units, equipped with en-suite bathrooms (showers, no baths) and air-conditioning. Kitchenettes have hotplates and sinks. Two units are fully accessible for people using wheelchairs

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Getting in to the vehicles will be the only trick. They are not wheelchair friendly at all, and there are steps to negotiate. The big vehicle (called the 20 seater) will be easier, but still has steps. The 10 seater is difficult as you have to climb over a barrier.

Sitting next to the driver may be the best option, especially in the 10 seater. Once you are in, there will be no problem. So much will depend on the level of you mobility.

I suggest that you contact CB and speak with the head guide, Billy, beforehand. I think that they would be willing to provide the 20 seater, even if there are not enough visitors, just to make things easier.

Remember that you can drive in your own vehicle. So you will be able to enjoy your visit. It is only the after dark activities that may only be done on SANParks vehicles.

Enjoy your visit! :thumbs_up:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WildThing » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:47 pm

The phone number for Crocodile Bridge is 013 735 6012.

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:27 am

Hi soc283 :D

Make sure that you are booked to stay in a bungalow with the code BD2Z (wheelchair accessible). There are two of these units in the camp, # 17 & #18…and IMHO, they are also the best situated units in the camp…. whenever we stay in Croc Bridge we try and get one of these units. You have a great view onto the bush and we have had some awesome sightings, from our veranda, of animals coming past, to and from the river.
If you stay in these units, also afford yourself some time to just sit on your veranda, and watch what comes past…expect the unexpected :wink: (once even had lions very close to the fence) and make sure you have a good flashlight.

Boorgatspook

Re: Braai facilities at Croc Bridge?

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Butterbee! Yes, there are braai's for each campsite :wink:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Photos taken 21 September 2009 of the progress of the new entrance gate and bridge.

I was told at reception the drive through gate would be opening within a few weeks time.

First two were taken from inside the park, next two, outside.

Sawubona
Dalene

Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Spotted Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Our favourite camp, usually stay in bungalow 9 which has a great view of the river - situated in the corner of the camp. Lots of game seen going down to the river to drink :dance: Love the size of the camp, would be great when the new entrance gate is finished!
Size of the freezer/fridge on the verandah - adequate for at least a week's provisions for two people.
"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:28 pm

My wife is in a wheel chair as well, we go to the kruger as much as we can.
Word of advice they say that the bungalo or tnt with a "z" is for the disabled. Not all of them is 100% accessible. You are taking somebody with, good can some times be a strucle to get in out of the car alone because the ground are not level. Most of the camps have additional ablution blocks with facilities for disabled. we have found that they are much more accesible than the facilities in the bungalo's. My wife always say where there is a change she will get it done.
"Waar n wil is is n weg".

Go and enjoy we are everytime we are in the Kruger or any SANPARK.

They are realy trying to make the camps more accesible for disabled people.
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

JimS

Unread postby JimS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:42 pm

The website disabledtravel.co.za shows details of accessible accommodation in Kruger and other National Parks. If you use the link http://www.disabledtravel.co.za/accom.php?prop_id=210 you will see a full description of the accommodation units at Crocodile Bridge together with photographs of the bathroom including shower, toilet, etc.
Making a reservation for wheelchair accessible accommodation can only be done directly with National Parks and not through any of their agents. Specific help can be obtained from Hester van der Berg at e-mail hestherv@sanparks.org or on telephone 012-426-5117.
Hope this helps!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”