Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Mopani Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:57 am 

I have stayed at all the bigger camps in Kruger but never at Mopani. Mainly because it does not have camp sites. I have never even been there to look around. Is this a popular camp? I see special rates offered on accommodation there now and again. Is this a must see camp? What are the roads around it like for scenic beauty and game viewing?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't know why Mopani seems to be unpopular still. Stayed there several times and always enjoyed the camp and seen plenty. The best night drive I have ever been on!

Always plenty to see on the S50 and S143, whilst a round trip to Makhadzi has never let me down.

Excellent restaurant, great 'verandah' for open air breakfasts, and numerous birds to be seen in the camp. And there is always something to be seen over the Pioneer Dam.

Full size photos at
http://www.pbase.com/richardharris/mopani

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Taken in or from Mopani Camp

Post subject: Pioneer hide
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 pm 

The viewing deck / restaurant area was being renovated (Oct 2005) - don't know how long it will take. I took this picture of a large spotted genet whilst having lunch on the deck... so next time you are there look up!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Just for those who don't know. A large spotted genet has a black tip on the end of the tail, whereas a small spotted genet has a white tip.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My opinion differs slightly from those expressed above.
I have not stayed at Mopani very often, but have thoroughly enjoyed the times I have spent there.
What makes Mopani so different from most of the other main camps, is how 'wild' it was kept during the construction of the camp, as you can see on the picture of the bungalow.
The areas around the bungalows were not cleared of vegetation during construction like at most others.

I definitely think Mopani is worth a visit.
The areas around the camp have always been very fruitful with regards to animal sightings and the view from the outlook point close to the restaurant is wonderful.
Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: CLEAN>Mopani Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LittleLeopard wrote:
:lol: :lol: Was a little overenthusiastic to defend Mopani.

:lol: :lol:

I must say I enjoy Mopani a lot because it is so "wild". My SO and I were making food one night and a little Scrub Hare came bouncing around us while we were outside. It is really great. 8)

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

Post subject: Thank you
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:57 pm 

Many thanks for referring me the thread on Mopani Camp, and adding your views.
The comments seem equally balanced between those who liked it and those who did not.
Since I will be looking for birds, the absence of big animals will not matter too much, and I shall definitely try to spend at least one night at Mopani.
As one of you said: being in the least used part of one of the great game parks in the world, is always a privilege!

Thanks for your information.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I must congratulate the management and staff on top notch service levels in January. The Mooiplaas picnic spot was also the cleanest I've seen in the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:52 pm 

I do not know why people don't appreciate Mopani as much as the rest of the camps because I experienced some of the most amazing sightings in the park close to Mopani.
I make it a habit to spend at least 4 nights there once a year and cannot resist two nights during other trips. For me this camp is a must.

It is true that you see a lot of elephants, but how many people can say they saw one of the big tuskers (Mabarule) on more than one occasion 3 years in a row in almost the same spot.

How many people have seen cheetah.
Yet, two separate sightings were recorded by us in the same year.

We have seen mating lions, huge herds of buffalo, sparring elephants, leopard, Tsessebe (every time be drive past Nshawu water holes and dams), Lichtenstein's Hartebeest, African wildcat, Serval, Genet, reedbuck, all the usual suspects in terms of plains animals, crocodile, hippo (including babies playing on the shore of the dam), rhino, hyena (many) with a den close to the camp and babies lying in the road, klipspringer, warthog - (this is truly big 5 country!).

Birdlife (all the common birds, including marsh owls, various teals, secretary birds, korhaan (2 types), kori bustard, various bea-eaters (including the swallow-tailed), some of the less common rollers, a huge array of predatory birds), ostriches and we always see many ground hornbills and saddlebilled stork).

Walks close to Mopani provide magnificent experiences and is one of the few places I experienced huge baboon spiders.

The picnic area close to Mopani (Mooiplaas), is one of the best picnic areas for game viewing found in the park as it overlooks a river where crocodiles, hippos, elephant, waterbuck, lots of birds and a resident leopard are routinely spotted.

Close to Mopani 2 beautiful birdhides are located, one of which you can sleep in.

It is also worth noting that because of the central location of Mopani, Shingwedzi and Pafuri can be visited in a day, as well as the Letaba and Olifants areas, which makes this and excellent base from which to see a huge portion of KNP.
I hope nobody else discovers it so that I can always have accommodation there at short notice.

People should take the time to drive off the main road onto the loops, especially the Nshawu loops.

Post subject: Which cottage number(s) to request for good view at Mopani?
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 pm 

We have reserved a cottage at Mopani for one night. Based on the map of the camp layout I am guessing that the cottages with the best view would be #9-12 & 43 & 45, is this correct? Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Mopani is wonderful
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
Mopani in July is spot on.
I have stayed there often in winter and always had a really good trip.
You are well placed between Mopani and Shingwedzi for longer day drives too.
Big game is the name in the Mopani veld.
Large herds of buffalo and elephants.
Mopani has some really large resident lion prides, most often seen on the Nshawu dams on the old main road up to Shingwedzi.
Bowkers kop waterhole is home to a dog pack and Leopards are seen frequently.
The north is a birders paradise and home to the rarer antelope like Tsessebe, Nyala and eland.
The restaurant at Mopani is actually very good as this is considered to be an upmarket camp.
The bungalows are not the old fashioned Kruger rondavels but have a kitchen inside with a lounge.
The bigger ones have three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Best of all the main bedroom has a *wait for it* double bed :D

The camp has been built to blend in with the natural surrounds and as a result there is a lot of natural bush inside the camp and a hiking trail.
This means that there is a fair amount of wildlife inside the camp, which is mainly nocturnal in nature.
We have seen genets, civets, spring hares and a python in Mopani plus the usual suspects like bats.
Try to get two bungalows alongside if you cant fit into one.
As far as old folks go, Mopani is very good because there aren't masses of steps etc, the restaurant area is wheelchair friendly too.
The shop is also nice with a good range of curios and groceries.
Mooiplaas just down the drag and is I think, one of the park's best picnic spots but be aware of elephants if they are close, sometimes they move right in and then you can be stuck.
The Giriyondo picnic spot is also absolutely fantastic - you can relax there, its surrounded by an electric fence!

The Phalaborwa gate is between 40 and 50 km down the drag, an easy two hour drive on a good tar road that follows the river for most of the way.
Check out the hide at the sable dam.
Mopani has two hides.
I call this area big sky country, it has a beauty and splendour all of it own, appreciate it for what it is and remember to look thru the Mopani bush not at it. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:00 am 

Just wanted to say how responsive I have found the staff at Mopani to be in responding to my request for a bungalow with a view.
We had originally reserved a cottage but when I e-mailed to ask for one with a water view they told me that the only units at Mopani with water views are the bungalows and the larger guest cottages.
So we switched to a bungalow and they have now emailed me telling me the exact one they have set aside for me (although they did note that if a donor wants it that night they'll have to put me elsewhere, which is fine).
I am impressed with Mopani staff already and we haven't even arrived yet.

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next