Skip to Content

Skukuza Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
wildebeeste

Re: Skukuza LR2W chalets - which one to choose

Unread postby wildebeeste » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 am

Lion Cottage is the closest cottage to the river and has great views. We always book it and love watching the Elephants graze along the river, the Hippos in the morning and evening and the visits by the family of Mongoose. The outdoor area is a bit larger than the rest of the cottages. As Australians, it is one of our favourite spots and is so quiet re human noise in spite of Skukuza being a busy camp.

gatita
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby gatita » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:26 pm

The lion cottage is LR2W as well. It is really nice and I think it might even be a little bit bigger than the other ones.

You should send a request to Skukuza asking for it.

In my opinion it even offers more privacy as you only have a neighbour to the left. To the right is the boma which I think is not used that often. We stayed in another one ( I do not remember the number) before and always had people walking by on their way to the river. No problems here.

In front there are some bushes/trees blocking the view from the boardwalk but that means that you do not have a straight but a slightly sideways view of the river.

We did not hear any noise from the restaurant or the parking lot while we were staying there and you do not see them either as the kitchen and trees lie in between.
March 2015 KZN or?
November 2015 KTP
Going to the Northern Cape - KTP

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 pm

I would also advise booking a unit either to the far right, or left. Lion cottage is well situated, but 96 is also lovely. There is not that much difference in the distance from the river between any of those units. I would consider privacy, and quietness, and shade. If the river is running strongly one will hear it from any of those units. If it is low, I doubt one will hear it.

Renovations to the restaurant should be well completed by November, so there should be no risk of construction noise coming from the right if you do book 96, or the Lion cottage, arks.

The boma is close as mentioned. I have stayed in those units a couple of times, once in 95 and been to a function at the boma. It was, and I assume still will be, managed by the restaurant.
Sawubona
Dalene

wildebeeste

Unread postby wildebeeste » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 am

Arcs,
We email and ask for Lion Cottage directly to Skukuza. It is very private with a hedge of thick trees and a brushwood fence on the restaurant side. The restaurant is quite a distance away as is the carpark and we have never experienced noise in the 8 times that we have stayed there - 4 nights each time. People do sometimes walk along the boardwalk but you will see them from any of the cottages and again they have never created noise. We go in May each year and the camp is busy but Lion Cottage is very quiet.
All the riverview cottages are good except for the last one in the line, which is tucked back under the trees. but this could be good in the heat of summer.
The trees near Lion Cottage are full of birds and we do a lot of photography there when we are not driving ourselves around. Also get some good photos of the Elephants, Hippos, Mongoose, Vervet Monkeys and sometimes Buffalo, right from the cottage.

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm

This is what Joep Stevens wrote, iLoveMeerkats! :
Joep Stevens wrote:Dear Grantmissy,

Thanks for the enquiry about Lion Cottage. It was built in 1969 and donated by Lady Bridget Oppenheimer. After the 7 February 2000 floods severly damaged much of Skukuza's riverview cottages as well as ABSA and Monis Guest Houses, Lion was rebuilt in a new design (like the other riverview chalets) on the same footprint as the original Lion Cottage. I remember it to be a quaint little unit, much liked by the guests.

KInd regards.

JOEP
aquila non capit muscas

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby Leanawel » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Arks - I have stayed in Lion 3 weeks ago. A wonderful chalet, but very near to the boma.

If you are concerned about the noise, you can really request any of the other LR2W's - they all have the same view on the river, maybe even better. Lion has a limited view to the right - bush and trees!!!

Leana

Mcook

Unread postby Mcook » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:12 pm

I see that Pumbaa rates number 87 as better than the Lion cottage in her current trip report :thumbs_up:

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi arks

Of all the LR2W we prefer unit 90 and 91 :tongue:
Unit 90 is somewhat more private and 91's view is better....with the old bridge in the background
(With sunset, one can see the baboons settling in for the night on their bridge :lol: )

Both are somewhat sheltered form any potential noise, not too far a walk from the restaurant and a decent view.

Pm me and I can email you some pictures of both :cam:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Arks
True that, I've never posted photos before on the forum :slap:
Heksie showed me the ropes, so here goes........... :pray:

Unit 91
[Image]

View towards Unit 90
[Image]

View towards the river (All photos taken from the patio of Unit 91)
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Unit 91 Interior
[Image]
[Image]

:tongue:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:00 pm

And a pic of #92 Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

fee

Unread postby fee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:50 pm

If anyone is interested, we stayed in the CG4V - guest cottage with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and small lounge area. These cottages are situated on the east side of the camp, overlooking the bridge. There is a lovely lawn area in front of the bungalows and they all overlook the river .... and its very peaceful. The bathrooms have been modernized and if you have four people, I recommend it.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Good Evening,

Can anybody just tell me if there are ANY SAFARI TENTS that are under SHADY TREES -- want to go there in December, and I know it will be hot... Just the tent number please (2 or 4 bed)!
I tried to compare the camp map with Google Earth, but they did not really match, and you can't see tents that are under trees anyway... lol.

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Guzz

Unread postby Guzz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Friedrich

I've camped in no 314. Asked specifically for this one, as it's right up against the fence and under a reltively BIG tree. If you can book that one, go for it!

*G

camken

Help with Skukuza accommodation please

Unread postby camken » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi All

I'm planning a solo trip to Kruger in April next year and I want to book now so that I have a nice choice of accommodation.
I want to stay at Skukuza for 2 nights, but Im getting quite confused with all the accommodation types!
I've stayed at Skukuza 3 times before, but never on my own, so we've always stayed in the family cottage type units.

I'll be on my own this time, which means that I have a lot of accommodation choices- BG's and BGE's, BE's and BD's- and that's just the tip of the iceberg! Im very confused.
instead of choosing a type of unit and them finding the best number, I'd rather get advice on the best location and book it regardless of the unit type

I can't even look at the 'best units' thread becaus I dont know what type of unit I want

Please can anyone offer some advise. My main criteria is privacy and quiet and location

I would prefer a bathroom, but dont have to have a kitchen. I'm on my own, so I dont care if there is one bed or three

I can't afford the luxury bungalows, but of the more basic options, which is in the best location/position?

Thank you

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Help with Skukuza accommodation please

Unread postby Crested Val » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm

54 is very private.............not overlooked by either neighbours, and you only see the back of the units in front
(bathroom windows)

It has 3 beds, bathroom and outside kitchen.

We loved it when we stayed in April this year.

Wherever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time. :dance:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”