Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skukuza Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:44 pm 

We have stayed at Elsie Clarke Guest House twice.The furnishings are rudimentary but adequate.(you are not there to view the furniture).It is ideal for 2 couples.Great unobstructed view of the Sabie River and the old railway bridge. Close walking distance to Selati restaurant if you don/t wish to self cater .

Elsie Clarke is however ideally suited to an evening braai( barbecue).There is a lovely verandha and the braai is right in front of it. The Camp Shop is adequatly stocked with meat, snacks , drinks and curios.

I would recomend you staying at EC but book early it is difficult to get in.
stevhil

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jeanne1305 wrote:
We will be staying in one of the GC4V cottages in Kruger. Does anyone know one cottage is better than the other in relation to view, bbq etc?
Thank you

I agree with maddie2312, there are 5 of them and the one is as good as the other. Its opposite the pool and very close to Selati restaurant. The view of all is onto the river and all have a bbq in front of each cottage. They have quite big fridge/freezers, a nice stove with oven, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (showers only), a little sitting room and a nice verandah. :D

Post subject: Five nights at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm 

I have been to Kruger on numerous occasions during the last 50 odd years, and have spend nights in all the major camps from north to south but never at Shukuza. I always argued that if I wanted to stay in a town I would rather stay at home. How wrong I was. Yes it is big and busy by day but it has all one’s heart desires and by nine at night I could, hear all the night sounds with my one good ear

My reassessment started at reception, with the queue out the door and only two operators accepting bookings I thought we were in for a long wait, but within 5 minutes two more arrived and with four operating we were soon registered. The second pleasant surprise was that, with a caravan, camping for the five nights would cost me a mere R450.00. I have a wild card, but apparently because of my age I was regarded as a pensioner and got a discount. Heaven forbid, but I gladly accepted without a word.

In hind sight I could have chosen a better camping site, but being strange and a bit apprehensive with towing a caravan in confined spaces I took the first available site. I will in future turn left towards the swimming pool area when entering the camping area. It has more shade, more grass, nearer the pool and other amenities, but we turned right and stopped. I had hardly unhooked the caravan when two black gentlemen in Parks Board uniforms approached and started helping without being asked. They assisted with everything and only left after a beer and with the braai fire burning. They refused any compensation and merely accepted out thanks with a smile. They were named Joseph and George and I still cannot think what motivated them to assist us in this way. It was much appreciated and duly reported to management. What a start we had.

During our stay we had a few meals at the restaurant; the food was good, we visited most of the attractions and were most impressed with the friendly advice received from tour operators, both parks and private, as to sightings in the area.

That area is very rich in wildlife and we saw the big five on three occasions, but that’s another subject. I just thought I would let you know that Skukuza exceeded all my expectations and is well worth visiting. I will certainly return.

Post subject: Re: Five nights at Shukuza
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm 

Dakka - a lovely post, thank you!

I have honestly never found Skukuza to be noisy or bad to stay in. Granted it is bigger and around the shop there is always a lot of people. But there are many peaceful parts of the camp too.

As for camping there, again, never had a bad experience.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Five nights at Shukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Dakka

Skukuza might be big and busy at times, but it definitley has a charm of its own, as does each camp. Having stayed there numerous times i will definitley stay there again in the future.

The camp sites to the left as you mention (closer to the pool side) are nice and shady, some of them separated by a bit of vegetation giving a bit of privacy.

Beware not to go too far down into the dip in the rainy season, you might just get flooded out.

Post subject: Choice of LR2W or LR2E or GC6 at Skukuza?
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:06 pm 

Could someone please advise which type of unit at Skukuza has the best view, if you had a choice between #209 (GC6) or the LR2E units (I think they are #206-208) or LR2W units (looks like #85-96 on the map I think)? The main thing to us is the view, not the furnishings or spaciousness etc.

The GC4V and GC4VB are not available.

Thanks in advance!

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Post subject: Re: Choice of LR2W or LR2E or GC6 at Skukuza?
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:17 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi lisa,

we stayed on the Easern side in 208 and twice on the Western side in 95 and the "Lion". The view from all three units were just breathtaking but I would slightly prefer those on the Western side 95, 96 and lions.

Enjoy you stay :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Gunner, I think I know which one you mean. When I used the tents a couple of years ago, the boundary tents were taken up by tour groups. I did look at them and felt rather :mrgreen:

This is one of my last minute trips so I was probably allocated the "hind titty". It does give an indication of a "little bit" of what to expect.

I would not hesitate to book there again, even if I have to settle for the "hind titty". :wink:

The fridge was on the inside and I found it very comfortable.

I always claim that Skukuza gets a bad wrap. I think that their tented accomodation is wonderful. It was fairly close to the ablutions and the kitchen area. The tents are all fairly close together, so you should experience the same.

Post subject: Re: skukuza rest camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi blackswift.
Welcome to the SANPARKS forum :) .
Despite many of the remarks often made about it being big and having many visitors I can recommend SKUKUZA.
It still one of the better maintained restcamps in our Park, there is accomodation to suit most budgets and tastes, it is well placed for good game viewing, the Stevenson Hamilton library is worth a visit and the restaurant is quite good.
Have a look at the SKUKUZA camp details on the SANPARKS website, it will give you details of the types of accomodation with photographs thereof.
A camp map is also available on the web.
Enjoy your visit. :)

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Pictures in Skukuza Reception
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:16 pm 

Hi

Someone told me my photos have been framed in the Skukuza reeception.
It's photos of a lion on a buffalo and a leopard on a rock.
Has anyone seen these photos.
If so , where in the reception area?
How do they look?
Dying to see it :)

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Post subject: Skukuza Safari tents: Best ones
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am 

Hi Guys, I will be off to Kruger within the next 3 days for a 8 night stay of which 2 nights will be in Skukuza in a 4 bed Safari Tent! I have been issued with number 314 (which I think is good, but I am unsure whether it is adjacent to the fence) - if my memory is correct I think Tent 320 is the best as it opens right onto the fence!?!?!?Should I ask for 320 or would 314 be fine? Please advise!

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Safari tents: Best ones
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 am 

Hi Riaann

Perhaps this would help you

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm 

Both are great either the East or the one West but I personally prefer those situated west to the restaurant.

I can highly recommend here the Lion cottage which is very close the the restaurant but it is totally quiet there. If you have a booking for the ones west of the restaurant just sent an email to Skukuza reception and ask for the Lion Cottage - they are more than willing to help you here :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm 

Hi MarilizeB,

sorry I did not have. 2 years ago we took pictures of the interior only to discover that there was no card in the camera :redface: :redface: but you can have a look via the availability button and then have a look at Skukuza the Lion Cottage looks similar to the Luxury riverside bungalows, however it is a little bit larger.

This is nearly the view :thumbs_up:

Enjoy :dance:

Post subject: Re: Pictures in Skukuza Reception
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 pm 

Great photos, and in pride of place in the reception area.
If you wish, I can email you the high res pics.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next