Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I think the E means it has an enclosed verandah, sorry I haven't a clue about the other two.

Post subject: New Restaurant in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
A NEW restaurant, The Jackalberry, has been opened at the Skukuza camp in the Kruger National Park.

The restaurant can cater for up to 188 guests and also has an Amarula Lounge, which is furnished with large, comfortable leather couches. Three decks have been built around the restaurant, which can accommodate up to 120 guests who choose to eat their meals or drink cocktails outdoors. It also has an upgraded Boma and a separate braai area.

The Jackalberry is open from 07h00 to 22h00 and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. It has small buffets offering a large variety of cold and hot foods and the main serving area acts as a 'Theatre of Food' where guests can watch the food being cooked.

Willem Viviers, gm of Compass Game Park Services, who manage all the restaurants and catering requirements in the Kruger National Park, said that the plan was to upgrade all the service outlets and restaurants in the Kruger Park over the next period.

From a travel newsletter I receive daily.

Post subject: New Restaurant in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Foxy

We were there for 4 nights last week. The renovations that they have done to the restaurant are excellent. The outdoor eating/viewing area built at the fence in front of the restaurant, is great.
They were also doing work at the Lower Sabie restaurant last week. Sanding the floors & painting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:05 pm 

During our recent trip we stayed in bungalow 98. This is a very roomy unit with large cupboard and bathroom and nice veranda. Equipped with fridge, stove plates, sink and most utensils you'll need.

Will definitely try and get one of these bungalows in future. Not close to the shop or river but a nice walk down there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We'll be in KNP in 3 weeks tomorrow. I may have to take work along. We'll be at Skuks for 4 nights. I read that there is an internet café, has anyone used it? Would I be able to rely on it to send/receive e-mails? PS I don't have wireless access.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I used it in January to do internet banking.
It is a bit pricey at R30 for 15minutes, but it works for emergencies.

Post subject: Skukuza Elsie Clarke
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:43 am 

Does anybody have an idea where the Elsie Clarke Guest cottage is on the Skukuza map?

Most camps have bungalows indicating 3 people max - will they be willing to add another mattress for young child? (at extra rate of course).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:01 pm 

Hi, Bekke, the elsie clarke cottage is when you pass the train restaurant,turn left at the last row of cottages, the cottage is the first one on your right hand, facing the river.hope this info is enough for you, or i could get the actual cottage no for you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elsie Clarke is cottage No.217,comfortable,spacious,river front, four sleeper unit.this cottage is next to Nyathi Guest House.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:17 pm 

Any idea what numbers 217 - 222 on the Skukuza map are? I guess they are some sort of Guesthouses - but what codes?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:44 am 

Hi there,
we stayed last week in 221 code GV4C. It was 2 bedrooms (4 single beds)with own bathrooms and a fully equipped kitchen/sitting area and a loveley outside siiting area with river view. For 3 this would be great. Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:24 pm 

Regarding 3 bed bungalows:
Anyone stayed in the ones behind the luxury riverside bungalows? (BE3's behind 'Lion'?). Is it possible that some of these (no.77, 78, 79) have a view towards the river? Would one hear the restaurant and services from the bungalows right next to the parking on the left of shop (when looking towards river)?
Which 3-bed bungalows are the best to book?

Thanks
rooikat

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:04 pm 

Hi Rooikat,

cannot comment on the 3 bed bungalows but we stayed last year in the "lion" and from there we indeed did not hear any activities from the restaurant nor anything from the parking area. I guess the numbers you are mentioned have got their verandah with a view to the river but the luxury riverside bungalows are blocking a bit the view but a part view is possible.

Just enjoy your stay :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm 

Hi Alf, welcome to the forum.

As long as you understand the issues they have with mass catering in the middle of the bush and don't expect haute cuisine, you'll be fine. SO is a very fussy eater (vegetarian) and he gets by.

We've always found the restaurant/cafe staff at Skukuza to be friendly, cheerful and helpful.

We found the main difference to the catering between June 2008 and Dec 2008 was the move to a set price for 3 courses (choice of about 3-4 for each courses) rather than a buffet. We found this was too much for us each evening. It was towards the end of the trip that we discovered that you could order just 1 or 2 courses for a set price.

At Skukuza you will be able to choose between the main restaurant overlooking the river, the Selati restaurant in the old station or the cafe that stays open until 21:00. In June we were disappointed at Selati in that they didn't do the wood-oven pizzas that were advertised all over the park. They are still being advertised so I don't know if they are doing them again.

Also Skukuza has a larger range of food in the shop (when compared to other camps). Most accommodation has utensils which includes pots, pans, plates, glasses and cutlery. If not then you can hire utensil boxes from reception. So you can cook your own food if you need to.

Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

anne catherine I have not stayed in the Elsie Clarke guesthouse, but have heard on this forum that is was very nice :D

The GC4V are also nice with a good view of the river. 2 bedrooms, 2 showers, a kitchen, little lounge and a patio :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next