Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 pm 

Don't know how you did that so quick but thank you RosemaryH

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:30 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
:thumbs_up: lindah

All thanks to the great effort roaneric puts into Accommodation Photos :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hi All

Looking for information about how suitable this camp is for a solo traveler. Was supposed to be travelling with two friends but their visa's were denied. It's the first time I'm travelling on my own so quite nervous. We were originally booked into Lower Sbie, however I recently posted on another forum topic and all the replies suggested I switch to Skukuza.

I'm not going to be able to do any self driving so will have to do the activities. I managed to find a link to the activities by scrolling through the posts and there's heaps of drives and walks throughout the day. My questions are:

Is skukuza suitable for a solo female traveler who has never traveled by herself?

Are the camp arranged drives and walks worth it? I've had friends go on both private camps and KNP activity drives and they've said that the private camp drives and walks usually afford them better sightings,views and information on the animals.

Any advice or info you have is much appreciated :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Will you be flying into Skukuza airport then you wont need a car as they have a shuttle service to take you to camp. The camp can be busy but a single person will be able to meet other folk If you go on a game drive choose either the night one or the sunset one. Go on an early morning walk Now that is fun .. You take an open safari truck deep into the bush Then you go for a walk snacks are usually served half way. Only 8 people plus two armed guides take you . A night BBQ ( Braai ) can also be a good idea. The camp has quite a few interesting things to do .. A wander along the river front can produce some quite exciting game viewing, there is the Museum , the dog's cemetery, a nice cooling pool plus a shop and a good take away and restaurant,
Now if you want to be really daring book yourself to do a wilderness trail ... Only 8 folk plus the two guides and the cook . you spend three nights in the bush in comfortable accommodation but you have game walks and game drives and fully inclusive of the food. , Now I know lots of single folk who travel alone and they all love it
Go for it

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:13 pm 

Rowena, Skukuza, as is most of the camps, perfectly fine for a solo visitor as many who have done so will agree.
Being the biggest and busiest camp in the park it has the most to offer, depending on what you like to do during the day and in between the various activities, drives/walks etc.

But first of all you need to ascertain how you are going to get to the camp and back out at the end of your visit.
I'm not sure where you are from but assume you will be flying and if so, do you plan on landing at KMIA, the airport near Nelspruit and get ferried to your first port of call, the private camp?
From there you will have to try and arrange transport into the park?

The Skukuza airport is a few kms from the camp and can be reached by a shuttle at a cost.
It might even be easier/cheaper to fly in and out of of there but if I were you I would get all those sort of logistics sorted out first before I went too much further with my planning.

Good luck and do ask if there is any further questions. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16