Unread postby RemiE » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Arks
True that, I've never posted photos before on the forum :slap:
Heksie showed me the ropes, so here goes........... :pray:

Unit 91
[Image]

View towards Unit 90
[Image]

View towards the river (All photos taken from the patio of Unit 91)
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Unit 91 Interior
[Image]
[Image]

:tongue:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Elsa

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:00 pm

And a pic of #92 Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

fee

Unread postby fee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:50 pm

If anyone is interested, we stayed in the CG4V - guest cottage with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and small lounge area. These cottages are situated on the east side of the camp, overlooking the bridge. There is a lovely lawn area in front of the bungalows and they all overlook the river .... and its very peaceful. The bathrooms have been modernized and if you have four people, I recommend it.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Good Evening,

Can anybody just tell me if there are ANY SAFARI TENTS that are under SHADY TREES -- want to go there in December, and I know it will be hot... Just the tent number please (2 or 4 bed)!
I tried to compare the camp map with Google Earth, but they did not really match, and you can't see tents that are under trees anyway... lol.

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Guzz

Unread postby Guzz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Friedrich

I've camped in no 314. Asked specifically for this one, as it's right up against the fence and under a reltively BIG tree. If you can book that one, go for it!

*G

camken

Help with Skukuza accommodation please

Unread postby camken » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi All

I'm planning a solo trip to Kruger in April next year and I want to book now so that I have a nice choice of accommodation.
I want to stay at Skukuza for 2 nights, but Im getting quite confused with all the accommodation types!
I've stayed at Skukuza 3 times before, but never on my own, so we've always stayed in the family cottage type units.

I'll be on my own this time, which means that I have a lot of accommodation choices- BG's and BGE's, BE's and BD's- and that's just the tip of the iceberg! Im very confused.
instead of choosing a type of unit and them finding the best number, I'd rather get advice on the best location and book it regardless of the unit type

I can't even look at the 'best units' thread becaus I dont know what type of unit I want

Please can anyone offer some advise. My main criteria is privacy and quiet and location

I would prefer a bathroom, but dont have to have a kitchen. I'm on my own, so I dont care if there is one bed or three

I can't afford the luxury bungalows, but of the more basic options, which is in the best location/position?

Thank you

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Help with Skukuza accommodation please

Unread postby Crested Val » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm

54 is very private.............not overlooked by either neighbours, and you only see the back of the units in front
(bathroom windows)

It has 3 beds, bathroom and outside kitchen.

We loved it when we stayed in April this year.

Wherever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time. :dance:
Thinking of Africa every day.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:42 pm

We stayed in 22, a BE2, which was lovely, and nicely set, right next to the kitchen for cooking facilities.

Two beds, shower and loo inside, and fridge and utensils on the veranda.

map
Sawubona
Dalene

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:59 pm

OK I'll try to sort it out for you. It's not official just some observations I;ve made after years of studying the accommodation type.

B usually reflects a bungalow or rondavel. GC is a Guest Cottage, CT is a safari tent and LST is a luxury safari tent, EH is a hut.

D usually indicates there is a kitchen and bathroom, G means you get a bathroom with no kitchen (there will be a communal one nearby). Most units have a bathroom, only the huts don't.

The number indicates the number of beds,

A Z at the end means its adapted for limited mobility customers - they are released to the general public to book much later than the other units.

U usually indicates a perimeter unit - V indicates a view (usually only used at Olifants).

E usually indicates that the stoep is enclosed with glass.

Skukuza has an extra code of T at the end of some units but I have yet to figure out what that means.

So you should be looking for a BD2. BG2, BD3 or BD4 with or without a U, V or Z at the end.

Hope this makes some sort of sense?
The GREAT 2015 Online Auction is here. Get your bids in soon, it won't be around for ever.

ThisIsLawrence

Unread postby ThisIsLawrence » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:54 pm

I am visiting Kruger and Skukuza for the first time ever in January 2015.

I am staying in a LR2W riverside bungalow.
Looks like I should call up a couple of weeks beforehand and request #95 or #96 as being prime spt.

Just a quick question... Its going to be bliksem hot then. Will this be a big problem with mosquitos around those bungalows? Is a braai possible outside in the evening heat/mosquitos(comfortably) or should we hit the restaurants? Wifey wants to know. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm

ThisIsLawrence welcome to the forum and even a warmer welcome to Kruger and Skekuza :dance:
The LR2W bungalows are a good start for a first timer

To answer your question, yes it is going to be hot but Skekuza is next to the river and somewhat cooler.
Also the particular units is fitted with air-conditioning :mrgreen: .

There is many products to repel any mosquitoes, you may even try citronella oil based creams.

A visit to Kruger won’t be complete if you didn’t make your own fire and braai the meat yourself. :tongue:
……(only when that fails, give the restaurants a go)
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 am

ThisIsLawrence - from me too - welcome :D

As RemiE said, those units have aircon and also have two sliding doors opening from the bedroom onto the patio. The sliding doors can be left open at night - you can only close the openings with the mesh sliding doors fitted. And this will not only keep the mozzies outside, but will bring the cool night air into your unit as well as all the night sounds from the bush. The LR2W's are great accom - you will enjoy it very much.

For the braai at night, use mosquito repellent spray (e.g. Peaceful Sleep or Tabbard which you can buy at any shop in the Kruger) and for a romantic feeling, you can even use Citronella candles outside - mozzies do not like that at all :thumbs_up:

Do not worry about the heat too much, take a siesta during the hottest hours (11 - 15:00) and enjoy Kruger! You may even be cooled off by a thunderstorm or two :whistle:

Leana

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 am

Yes, indeed, the museum is an absolute must as RemiE said. And from me, do not forget to visit Lake Panic, about 7km from Skukuza on the road to Kruger Gate - especially early morning. Not to be missed :dance:

Have a look at the Topic - Lake Panic Sightings - all the :cam: will persuade you to make a visit!

But most of all - enjoy every moment :thumbs_up:

Leana

Madeleine88

Christmas in Skukuza

Unread postby Madeleine88 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:09 am

Hi All

I am heading to Skukuza for Christmas with my family and we are hoping that there will something magical planned for everyone to do at Christmas,

such as a festive braai with dancers etc or perhaps a bush braai where everyone socializes and celebrates or whatever it may be....

I cannot find any information about this, does anyone know if there will be something and when we need to book by?

What has your previous experience of Christmas in Kruger been?? :dance: :dance:

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Christmas in Skukuza

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:25 am

Welcome to the forum Madeleine88 :D . Christmas day in the Kruger camps is usually quiet as any other day and visitors celebrate Christmas day in their own quiet way in nature. Booking a bush braai is a good idea but I doubt if any dancers will be there. Wishing you and your family a good and peaceful Christmas in Skukuza :thumbs_up: .
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”