Skip to Content

Afsaal Picnic Spot

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Afsaal Picnic Site

Unread postby Hippotragus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Merlin11 - it is the former one you described. The one with the terraces is Nkulu.
KTP May 2015

GeorgeM13

Unread postby GeorgeM13 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 am

Would hate to think that I and Mrs G would not have our breakfasts in Afsaal to look forward to on our next visit, hopefully later this year. Always been a highlight especially when there is wildlife wandering through.

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:45 am

Dear Valued Guests

We apologise for any inconvinience caused by the temporary closure.
Management is in the process of renovating the facility and possibly looking into outsourcing a service provider to ensure that guests receive quality service.
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

molpol40

Unread postby molpol40 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:30 am

I have just returned from a wonderful 10 days in the park and stopped at afsaal. I have to say it was an absolute pleasure!! It has gone back to the lovely picnic spot i first remember.
There is a limited menu available to buy - breakfast, burgers, sandwiches, tea and coffee - no more pap and wors cooking (sorry, i personally didnt like it). The shop is quite empty but you can still get cool drinks, snacks and ice-creams.
It was clean, the toilets usable, plenty of tables, chairs and you can still hire a skottle. It appears to me that sanparks is going back to the old way - picnic spots for picnics, you can buy a good selection of food at the camps now since there is mugg and bean and wimpy. And i would suspect that the franchises are paying heavily to be in kruger so do not want visitors buying the food at picnic spots!!
(i do have a few photos that i took on 9/2/15, but am embarrassed to say that i have no idea of how to upload them!!) :redface:
i also visited some of the other picnic spots

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Molpol40,

Have a read here which help on posting the photos.

If you have any problems you are very welcome to email them to me (or any other Mod or Forum Assistant) and we will post them for you. Just PM any of us.
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:55 am

Dear Molpol40

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, it is Much appreciated. we hope to have you back in the park very soon.
you can also email the pictures to me as well. my email adress is attached on my signature.
:clap:
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:23 am

This makes me excited, to hear some good reviews of afsaal. :mrgreen:

Afsaal is and always be one of my favorite picnic spots. :wink:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Sandybabe

Unread postby Sandybabe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Can anyone tell me if Afsaal is open again now, my parents are due to arrive in Kruger on Wednesday and they had planned to visit Afsaal while there. :?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:10 am

Will try and find out for you! :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Lesley Nyawo wrote:Afsaal is opened to guests. it was only the kitchen that was closed for upgrades. i have just called afsaal they are in operation.

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback Elsa :thumbs_up:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

BigG

Unread postby BigG » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Hmmm ... quite a dismal place when the generator is out of commission as it was a couple of weeks ago ! No take-aways, no coffees, no shop, and no WATER! So no toilets and no dish-washing facilities ...

Fortunately we were there at 08:00, and they did have gas facilities so we were covered for our usual eggs / bacon / sausage / tea ! And the ablutions were still under control at that time of the morning ... We noticed no "braai breakfast" (the pap and boerewors type) although that probably had nothing to do with the generator failure (see previous posts on that)

This is a truly fantastic location - one of our favourite stops - and the only realistic breakfast spot if you're staying at BnD, or coming in from Malelane. BUT ...

The place really needs some TLC ... it's great that there's a user survey in progress, but until it gets sorted, visitors should perhaps think about alternative catering plans
Berg en Dal 17-20 May 2015
PKop / Satara / Letaba Aug 2015
Roodewal 13 Jan 2016

Elsa

Re: Afsaal Picnic Spot

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:44 pm

We popped into Afsaal last week and I can report that although it was quiet, there were a few visitors having lunch, some using skottels, others eating bought food.
The choice is quite limited and also I thought rather on the pricy side but Burgers, Kudu wors rolls, toasted sandwiches etc. available.
No pancakes I'm afraid!
The toilets were perfectly clean, the area around the tables neatly raked.
I saw there was a notice on the door saying that they would be locked when the site closed for the day because of security.
The shop is still only offering a very limited choice, mainly sweets, chips, cold drinks etc.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”