Afsaal Picnic Spot

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Afsaal Picnic Spot

Unread postby Carol g » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Mauxie, we were at Afsaal in May, rest assured the food there is still great, worthwhile stopping there for breakfast
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:47 pm

We were there just under two weeks ago and I must admit it was the absolute low point of a wonderful holiday. The staff were rude and unhelpful - while drinking their own coffee they were unable to give me boiling water for my tea. The shop is better than it was in February but it is still dark and depressing with very little to offer. There was very little on offer at the food take away despite the fact the extensive menu is still on the wall - there was nothing that appealed to us so we left without anything - unhappy, cross and sad. It used to be one of my favourite stops but sadly no more. I missed having my pancakes :cry:

pedro maia

Afsaal

Unread postby pedro maia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Anyone knows at what time does breakfast start at Afsaal?

Carol g
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 am

I'm not absolutely sure but I think they open at 7 :hmz:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

jackrussel

Unread postby jackrussel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Good evening all .DB thank you for the reply .Has anyone been to Afsaal of late? . I have been in December 2013 and the shop section looked a bit neglected. The food stall was still good and the meals good however the inside of the shop was dark and almost nothing to sell .I missed the old atmosphere where you could buy souvenirs ect . I hope that they have restored to shop to its former glory

Jackrussel

bert

Unread postby bert » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Been there a week ago and must say... disapointed.
Menu is way smaller
No pies or pancakes for eg.
Hope this is a temp situation.
Or has the menu been addapted for some reason.

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Re: Afsaal Picnic Site

Unread postby Lesego » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 am

Gralba wrote:I have a report that Afsaal Picnic Site was closed over this previous weekend (7th/8th Feb). By all accounts it was so poorly run that this is a relief in some respects. What is the future of this facility?

Dear All;

I spoke to the colleagues at Afsaal and I was informed that Afsaal was closed around 08:30 because there was a problem with the generator and the maintenance team was then called in. As soon as it was fixed, the shop was opened again (just after 10:00am).
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:56 pm

The current state of Afsal Picnic Spot is under discussion by the organisation, there are few suggestions on how to best to run Afsaal to provide good service to our clients. One would be be to outsource a service provider to run Afsal. In the meantime we request that our guests make use of the restaurants that are fully operational around the park. We apologise for any inconvinience caused.
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 am

I do think that Afsaal profits were badly hit by the alcohol ban. There were always queues for their draft beer. It certainly seemed to me that it was a regular stop for many ''jeep jockeys''.

I would often wait for ages in a queue. It did not matter what I was buying.

Once the alcohol ban came into effect, there was no reason for all the jeep jockey stops, other than a toilet break.

I do think that a lot of their profit came from this, as many foreign tourists would buy items that the average Saffie could not afford. I enjoyed their pancakes, but found a lot of the goods frightfully expensive.

I have been to Afsaal twice on New Years day. The first time was before the alcohol ban and I did not even try to order anything. It was packed.

The second time I went was the first year after the alcohol ban came into effect. It was almost empty.

Afsaal was privately run, not Sanparks. I am sure that the consequences of falling profit margins affected them badly.
Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:44 am

MM that is a very interesting point you are raising there. :thumbs_up:

I think that you hit the nail on the head. In a certain way it is quite sad that alcohol was one of reasons why people stop at Afsaal. It is such a relaxing picnic spot and one of our must visit spots when in the south.

I really hope SANParks can come up with a solution to bring Afsaal back to its former glory.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 am

Lepardfan, Afsaal, Tshokwane and Nkulu used to come under a lot of criticism on this very forum for being too "touristy". Although they fall under Sanparks, they are privately run, much like the shops.

I love Afsaal, with those beautiful trees, the birds and all that comes with it.

The average Saffie, and I am one, brings little revenue into these spots. We come with our own food, drinks and sometimes even skottle. We seldom buy from the shops, as we can get cheaper elsewhere.

Jeep jockeys would make this a regular stop from Malelane Gate. The goods sold at Afsaal were definitely aimed at the foreign tourist. The skins were pricey and came with a export clearance certificate. People would sometimes queue for a long longtime for draft, enough time for a wife to do more than a bit of impulse shopping. :wink:

Sadly, Afsaal did rely too much on one market. Saffies are not very big spenders in the Park, myself included. It is going to be a challenge to replace the foreign market that has been lost.

Afsaal also has to employ its own staff and with the falling profits, I am pretty sure that many were laid off.

One of the reasons why the toilets are locked so early is because they have to get the staff back by a certain time.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 am

Lesley Nyawo wrote:One would be be to outsource a service provider to run Afsal. In the meantime we request that our guests make use of the restaurants that are fully operational around the park/...

One would be be to outsource a service provider to run Afsal./...

Afsaal, and two other picnic areas are currently under the management of SANParks. As recently happened with the restaurants, there is a consideration of outsourcing these being looked at as Lesely alluded to above.
Sawubona
Dalene

bert

Unread postby bert » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:32 am

MM, agreed. And the safari vehicles with groups almost always has their own lunch with them. They do visit the curios and most people use coffee but its mostly own food and skottel. So yes, revues to run these kind of places are tight. I btw always buy a bush breakie . Afsaal used to be good but last time we werent impressed.

fee

Unread postby fee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:25 pm

So in the meantime there is NO place to stop between Malelane gate and/or Pretoriuskop and/or Skukuza.
Its all very well telling visitors to use other picnic sites, but if you are in the southern part where else is there to go.
And I do agree with Tent Dweller ..... the complaints on face book pages were a dime a dozen, including Kruger Parks fb page, and it seems as nothing was reported. I have stopped bothering with the feedback forms as they are complete waste of time.- There must be a room full of File 13s.
I am hopeful that Afsaal will be returned to what it used to be. And soon!!

Merlin11

Unread postby Merlin11 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:22 pm

Oh no! This thread is sad to read, can someone help me visualise which Afsaal picnic area is please, does it have the toilets attached to the shop complex and the food around the corner or the one with the toilets in a separate building with the terraced eating areas and monkeys?

I know the food in either wasn't great at either and I know it is sad but one of our favourite memories in Kruger is eating a full English breakfast under a rondvel and for my 85 year old dad it is his favourite which he is hoping to replicate later this year :D
Skukuza 16/10/15 to 21/10/15
Lower Sabie 22/10/15 to 24/10/15
Satara 25/10/15 to 29/10/15
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”